Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yale alarm and dialling out withou phone line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

i use a grandstream handytone to get an analog line for my alarm for calls, can be gotten on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

ui dont think you can get a GSM dialler for a yale alarm. I know that some systems have a builtin landline dialler. I personnly wouldn't use any YALE or micromark, because do pros use yale or micromark, no they use makes like hkc and homesafe!. anyway back to the question:

I dont think you can get a gsm dialler for a yale alarm. sorry bout thats

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+ 1
    Yale alarms are very poor quqlity. They do not conform to the current EN standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2011 wrote: »
    + 1
    Yale alarms are very poor quqlity. They do not conform to the current EN standard.

You can buy Yale wireless alarm system in Argos for 270 euro,that says it all so.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 screwlox

Whatever you do, don't tell your insurance company - they'll laugh at you...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

i use a yale alarm and have no problems with it.if you get a certified installer to install the system your insurence company will give a discount.alarms are all the same there are no difference except the price:).my neighbours recently had problems with thiefs so he bought a yale alarm from b&q,installed it and has had no probs since

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How much are these units I just saw what is called a GSM Dialler for €500!! :O and another here on ebay for €80 including shipping!

€500 http://www.alarms-dublin.ie/home-security-prices.htm --> Does this one actually arrest and handcuff the intruders?

€500 is way OTT , thats probobly dearer than the yale alarm... shop around.
    On the other hand €80 is too cheap , €200-€300 is the correct price for a decent unit
    i use a yale alarm and have no problems with it.if you get a certified installer to install the system your insurence company will give a discount.alarms are all the same there are no difference except the price:).my neighbours recently had problems with thiefs so he bought a yale alarm from b&q,installed it and has had no probs since
    If I were you I'd go over my home insurance policy & check your cover.
    A licenced installer can not certify a system that does not conform to EN50131. Your insurance company may well have you down as having a certified alarm. They will be quick enough to tell you you don't when you put in a claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 screwlox

NOT CORRECT!

A yale alarm is not manufactured in accordance to EN50131, which is the standard for intruder alarms.
    The equipment must be A.) Manufactured, B.) Installed and C.) Maintained to EN50131 standard.
    There will be no problem - UNTIL you have a break-in. THEN your insurance company will start asking awkward questions about the alarm you have been claiming 10% discount for, off your premium!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

You cant get a certified installer to certify a system that does not conform to the relevant standard for alarms. The yale alarm is dirt. If your going to spend money on protecting your home get yourself a proper alarm..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Before we all go mad about Yale alarms, please remember that this forum deals with DIY issues, and installing a Yale alarm is a DIY issue.

It is correct to point out the systems that do and do not conform to insurance company standards as this could fool people.

It is good to point out that not all systems are alike, far from it.

It is good to point out that even an empty alarm box on a wall acts as some level of "security"

It is also good to point out that many people with an alarm intentionally avoid opting for the insurance discount as they think their insurance will not pay up if that alarm is not turned on/working during a break in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All good points Stoner. But I think our main aim was to clarify Thunderbirds advice which seems to suggest using a licenced installer automatically brought your system up to standard.
    Over the last few months I have noticed insurance companies are increasingly looking at EN50131 as a good clause for them to refuse a claim.
    If people are not availing of a discount for having an alarm than thats fine they are safe.
    But I can not streess this enough , now more than ever if you are claiming a discount & you alarm does not conform to EN50131 you are going to have hassle in the event of a claim.

forget the insurance stuff.thats not what matters.the point is all alarms are ment to do is deter burglars.thats what the yale alarms do.besides all alarms are made for way cheaper then what we buy them for:D.im not claiming a discount

would altor and screwlox please explain what exactly is a proper alarm?and what are the differences between diy and a licsensed alarm:):rolleyes:?

forget the insurance stuff.thats not what matters.the point is all alarms are ment to do is deter burglars.thats what the yale alarms do.

Thats also what a dummy box will do, If you only want to deter them buy a decoy box for €20 & don't waste your money on sub standard equipmet that will give you a false sense of security.

If you want to know all the differences & all the failings of systems that do not comply I suggest you read the standards EN50131.

would altor and screwlox please explain what exactly is a proper alarm?

A proper alarm is an alarm system and components that has being tested and installed to the EN50131 standard. All alarm systems that certified installers install have to work to the EN50131 standard.
    and what are the differences between diy and a licsensed alarm:):rolleyes:?

A licenced alarm installer has to comply with the EN50131 standards when installing the alarm, be that electrical safety or functional requirements of the alarm.

A diy alarm does not comply with the EN50131 standard and in most cases the people who install them in there own home fit and test them wrong and only find out after they have being broken in to..

please recomend an alarm company other than eircom phone watch that can supply an alarm system with 6 d/w contacts,1 pir,siren,gsm,keypad,that are mostly wireless for under 1000euro.any help appreciated:).i herd wescos supplie hkc?they any good?

please recomend an alarm company other than eircom phone watch that can supply an alarm system with 6 d/w contacts,1 pir,siren,gsm,keypad,that are mostly wireless for under 1000euro.any help appreciated:).i herd wescos supplie hkc?they any good?

Do you want to monitor the alarm yourself or put it through a monitoring station plus what parts on the alarm are wireless ?

i want to monitor it myself and all the sensors to be wireless.:):).can certified alarms only be installed by certified installers if it is your own home???

Licenced installers must certify every job, therfore they can only install equipment to EN50131.

koolkid wrote: »
    Licenced installers must certify every job, therfore they can only install equipment to EN50131.
    i understand that but could i install an alarm that is complient to EN50131 on my own house?:):confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

i understand that but could i install an alarm that is complient to EN50131 on my own house?:):confused:

no, because part of compliance is that the installer is compliant.

i have found a friedland responce alarm system that says it conforms to british and eu standards.model sk5gsm. looks good.works on 868mhz.website is wireless-alarms.com .solar siren,comfort leds,auto dialler gsm,2 pirs,2 door contacts. control panel.:)£414.84

Standard is EN50131. Anything else is waffle. They could be referring to electrical or radio standards or anything.
    Besides if you self install its not going to be up to that standard anyway.

can certified alarms only be installed by certified installers if it is your own home???

You can buy the alarm equipment and install it yourself, the alarm wont be certified so dont put it on your insurance.. If you get an alarm installer to install the alarm it will be certified to the EN50131 standard.

could anyone find more information on this alarm website?
    www.wireless-alarms.com response sk5:)

They are selling cheap alarms that they claim are up to standard. They are not .
    What more would you like to know?

They conform to British Standards but not our standard. To be honest they look cheap but you get what you pay for.. I would rather see you put the extra money to the price of the alarm and get yourself an alarm that is up to the EN50131 standard.

hey guys just wanted to say sorry for those posts...i dont know why i kept goin over the top over a stupid yale alarm...after i read what ye guys had to say about them i put the one i had to the test...using a 433.92mhz device such as a gate remote, i set the alarm waited for the delay to run out and opened the door and windows that had a sensor while pressing the remote and the alarm did not activate...when i asked yale why this was they gave my a stupid answer...plus they have it written on their website not to have a PIR aimed at a window protected by a door contact because they could both activate and cancel each other out!!!:eek:

I am not surprised, this alarm is the lowest quality alarm anyone could install in there home. It has no standards to conform too, that why it is cheap but not so cheerful in your case. I would suspect a lot of people who have them installed wont even know of this issue until there home is broken into. I would rather have no alarm installed than this. There are so many descent quality alarms that conform to standards and are easier to install but as is always pointed out here on the forum you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kpbryww

Hi All,

Just looking for your advise on a DIY alarm install. I am thinking of buying a Visonic PowerMaxComplete.

Anybody any experience with this unit?

Anybody recommend best place to locate PIR's - I am thinking of purchasing 4 PIR's for a 4 bedroom house. ( 2 x hall and landing) and 1x living room and 1 x kitchen.

Is it OK to use Keyfob as personal alarm rather than extra panic button?

Where is the best place in hall/landing to install PIRs? What should the hall landing PIR setting be so as to allow normal owner access and to allow arming of the alarm while house is occupied at night?

What is the best way to configure zones for when the house is occupied?

Is it OK to place control panel out of sight and use keyfobs to arm/disarm ?(ie not in the hall but accessible within 30sec)

Would you recommend "curtain sensors" to protect upstairs accessible windows?

Best position for shock sensors with contact connector?

Best position on door or window to install contacts?

Is it best to put shock sensor on all downstairs windows and doors?

Is it best to install a contact switch on every window opening or just on the easily accessible windows?

Is it possible to sign up for home monitoring if I DIY install?

How much would it cost to have a pro install and certify the system for me?
    How much would it cost to have a pro certify the system if I install myself?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Advertisement