Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day out with a difference / cheap weekend away.

Options
  • 25-04-2009 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

This is long winded but I think its relevant so you know what you get.

Norfolkline.co.uk are the truckers ferry company from north wall to Birkenhead-Liverpool.

They are currently offering this weekend, car and four people return for 100 euro. YES 100 euro. I have done this four times in the last 3 months and love it. I am NOT connected to the ferry company.

I have also done this as a one day shopping trip to hit ASDA and so on. You arrive around 5.30 am and check in for the return at 8pm at night.

What you get is this::)

Pros: Car and 4 on ferry, full 3 course carvery meal, just like in a pub but with no till (its included in the fare), 4 bed en-suite cabin, full cooked breakfast before getting off at the other side - again free, and its a return fare. As you are coming into Birkenhead, there is no long drive up from Holyhead. This ferry normally costs 400 quid approx.

Cons: Its a slow ferry, it takes about 7 hours but as you are asleep in a bunk, you dont notice.

The only thing extra you pay for on the night sailings is your beer.

I am going over on Monday night arriving tuesday morning and coming back again Wed night. I booked the marriott hotel online for £99 so have two days in liverpool for me and the wife with a posh hotel and ferry for about €200.

I think thats unbeatable.:)

Extra info.

As its a trucker boat, there are very few facilities, just a bar and a free restaurant. There is a cinema, but never been in it. Have a few pints and go to bed. What else do you want?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Looks very good. Have a look round for a cheaper hotel and hopefully this will be a nice break. Can you travel on weekends or just during the weeek?

Link - http://www.norfolkline.co.uk/EN/Ferry_offers/dublin_sale/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Slunk wrote: »
    Looks very good. Have a look round for a cheaper hotel and hopefully this will be a nice break. Can you travel on weekends or just during the weeek?

Link - http://www.norfolkline.co.uk/EN/Ferry_offers/dublin_sale/

Jurys was only 70 quid, but its a treat to take the wife away so I booked the Marriott. Fancy hotel for 99 pound. HEY HEY!!

Its for pretty much any date until end of May. Must be booked by Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

You can get return flights for 2 to Liverpool in May for just 44 euro (hand luggage) . Ok - you won't have your car but if you are staying in Liverpool it won't matter much.

I'm not going to go into the problems of flying, everyone is familiar with this, but I have done the security queue at Liverpool airport, and one bag rule, and stealth charges, and excess luggage, and having to pay for priority queue for screening, and carrying shopping back, and renting a car to go outside liverpool.

We are talking ease and no hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Anyone know the drivetime Liverpool - Glasgow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I've used these guys (when they were Norse Merchant I think) and the other Liverpool service (P&O) with my campervan and they are excellent. No frills but that's OK. A comfortable bed so you get a great rest and don't notice the long trip. As much food as you can stuff in - it's plain fare but not bad. Cos it's mainly truckers there's no "entertainment" - that suits me just fine! No kids running around screaming, banging on doors just for fun, drunks being sick, etc.
    At the UK end you are on decent motorway type roads pretty quickly. At the Dublin end you have to watch the very badly signposted exit and not end up in the Port Tunnel where the b***ards will charge you both ways if you make a mistake - you can't turn round before the entrance. Dublin end has an excellent Service station which I think is open 24hrs.
    There are cheap deals if you take the daytime sailing by the way.

Excellent. Going to book this .Thanks

Just out of interest. Do ye have to bring the car. Not going to be fair on the person driving that the other three will be able to drink. Can you jus walk onto the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

IIMII wrote: »

Done during the middle of the day (off peak), it is about 5hrs from John Lennon Airport to Glasgow CC. Google Maps suggests 4hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I don't get it :o

Why all the talk about €100 - what's the catch with the morning sailing for €50 or am I reading it wrong?

actually i don't get it at all - typed in a couple of dates using the code and its coming out with €520 return?!

It says on the webpage to type in PM GIVEAWAY. This gives you the discount. There was plenty of availability unless its all sold out.

As for the question about the catch for 50 quid, the only one is that you pay for the grub and you dont get a free cabin.

I would imagine the boat is mostly empty during the day as who in their right mind would want to stare at the walls for seven hours. Truckers need regular documented breaks. At least at night you are asleep so you dont notice.

• Advertisement

Slunk wrote: »
    Excellent. Going to book this .Thanks

Just out of interest. Do ye have to bring the car. Not going to be fair on the person driving that the other three will be able to drink. Can you jus walk onto the boat?

Don't know, I would say so. Try it and see,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Hi, thanks for posting this up, sounds like an excellent deal. We travelled Dublin-Liverpool on P&O on a similar sounding ship. I did have kids travelling with and they enjoyed the trip over. It was the only service I could find going direct to Liverpool-we were over for a wedding there. Definatley no frills, but the meals were fine and we got a free cabin going home.

I recommend Chester Zoo which is fairly near Liverpool. We had a fota card which got us in for free!

Can I just ask what is story with travelling with pets to England by ship, what do I need? I know they'll have to stay in the car:(:( on the ship but do they need a pet passport or something?

Dont know about pets but should be ok as UK and Ireland are rabies free. Ring them though to check. I know about chester zoo, I am from that area and the wife got in free with our dublin zoo annual pass.

Just now have booked another sailing for a day trip to see family on may 8th abd back the 9th. Its a long day but well worth it. Again got it for 100 euro for three adults and a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've done the same night sailing as well when i bought my car in Liverpool last year (paid more though) and would definitely recommend it.

with the night sailing you really don't notice the time fly. have your evening meal, a quick pint or two, bit of telly and then off to bed and then they wake you for brekkie and as you're finishing your brekkie the boat is coming into port and you drive off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

"Book from Friday 24th April until 11pm Monday 27th April 2009 and travel by 31st May 2009"

Superscouse, I assume this offer rolls onto further dates after 11pm tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

vibe666 wrote: »
    i've done the same night sailing as well when i bought my car in Liverpool last year (paid more though) and would definitely recommend it.

with the night sailing you really don't notice the time fly. have your evening meal, a quick pint or two, bit of telly and then off to bed and then they wake you for brekkie and as you're finishing your brekkie the boat is coming into port and you drive off.

You can't be in the cabin for that long. Its sails at 10. So guessing here but start eating at 10.30, finish at 11. Quick pints. Bed at midnight. It arrived at 5am, so what time do they wake you up for breakfast? 4am?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

bazwaldo wrote: »
    You can't be in the cabin for that long. Its sails at 10. So guessing here but start eating at 10.30, finish at 11. Quick pints. Bed at midnight. It arrived at 5am, so what time do they wake you up for breakfast? 4am?

They board the trucks first, and the cars last, say from 9.15. The Truckers have already hit the grub before you're on board. You can eat immediately so chances are you might even be finished before they set sail.
    I thought they woke you for b'fast at 5am and you are along side at 6am, might be wrong.
    On my last trip, I was back in Cork for 9.15am.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/checkroute.asp - tick the GB box

Route Planner (From Birkenhead (Liverpool) Ferry Terminal to Glasgow)
    Time: 3 hr 45 min
    Total Distance (Km): 358.58

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dont know about pets but should be ok as UK and Ireland are rabies free. Ring them though to check. I know about chester zoo, I am from that area and the wife got in free with our dublin zoo annual pass.
    Superscouse drives to the ferry port and gets stopped by a security guard. He gets asked, "What's up with the penguins in the back seat?"

So he says "I found them. I asked myself what to do with them, but I haven't had a clue."

The guard ponders a bit then says, "You should take them to Chester zoo."

"Hey, that's a good idea," says Superscouse

On the return trip Superscouse is back again. The guard sees the penguins are still in the back seat of the car.

"Hey, they're still here! I thought you were going to take them to the zoo."

"Oh, I did," says the Superscouse , "And we had a swell time. Today I am taking them to the beach."

bazwaldo wrote: »
    "Book from Friday 24th April until 11pm Monday 27th April 2009 and travel by 31st May 2009"

Superscouse, I assume this offer rolls onto further dates after 11pm tonight?

According to the offer page, it has to be booked by tonight and travel finished by end of may.

This is my last post on the matter. I am on it at 10 tonight. LIVERPOOL, HERE I COME !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Booking form is acting up - refusing to offer the €100 price out of Dublin, but quite happy to give you the £100 deal out of Liverpool for the same dates.

alastair wrote: »
    Booking form is acting up - refusing to offer the €100 price out of Dublin, but quite happy to give you the £100 deal out of Liverpool for the same dates.
    Just put in two random dates may 14 - 16 and may 7 - 10. Both gave me the 100 quid offer dub-liv

Are you sure you used the code PM GIVEAWAY

Or perhaps your particular sailing are full?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Must be a full sailing - other dates are working okay.

Oh crap, just had a thought, now I have told all you boardsies about this, it will make it more difficult for me to pick up the cheap deals.

I HAVE JUST SHOT MYSELF IN THE FOOT.

Now, really going now as I have a boat to catch.

Slan

Booked it for Fri 29-31 May. Bank holiday weekend. €109 B&B in Jurys across from where the boat docks for saturday night. Couldnt get two other people suprisngly so €105 for 2 nights b&b and one diner. Great deal. Also hearing good things about the boat. Good food, reasonable bar. All small bottles £2.

Thanks again OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

i did it once. was handy. one tip was that in the cabin (if it is the same boat) the plug was the twin roundy adaptor. European style plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

thanks superscouse - just booked this 2 adults + 2 kids - May29-31 bank holiday weekend. Great offer - do we get a cabin and meals for the return Liverpool-Dublin trip also?

We all Liverpool supporters. My boys will go CRAZY when they hear this in just saw your post at 10.46pm tonight. We are booked now for the stadium tour too. What might be a good hotel nearby?

Slunk - through where did you book Jurys? Best price I can see on their own web site is 115 sterling.

Thanks again!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Around 3hr 45mins give or take 15 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Happy2

raging I missed this :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

holly8 wrote: »
    ...We are booked now for the stadium tour too. What might be a good hotel nearby?...

Book now if you want anything decent, hotels all inflate prices for matchdays & they still fill up.

Advertisement