Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents leaving proceeds of house sale to kids in their will

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭drunkdaz

I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting something when your parents pass away.

You need to remember there has been a huge transfer of wealth in the past decade from the young to the old. Today young people have to get 35 year mortgages to put a roof over their heads, 20 used to be the norm. And two people have to work to service theses loans which invariably benefit the older generations who either have seen the value of their own homes rocket or profited by been involved in property in some way.
    As well as this our parents will most likely be the last generation to enjoy a state pension. Young people have to pay taxes to pay for current pensions, generally working longer hours, while trying to contribute to their own private pensions. Modern life is just more stressful.

This isn't the same as waiting for a windfall on your parents demise. The parents should of course enjoy their old age, and what they worked hard for. But its just its pragmatic to expect to have a little left over for the kids.
    Anyway is it not right to want your kids to have a better life then you? I know if I am successful I'll make sure I'll be very generous to my kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

That's nasty and morbid, i'd never expect anything from my parents and they can give it all to charity if they wan't

My granmother died more than ten years ago and just a month or so ago the family were still arguing about a savings account she had, which had like 3000 pound :\

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sure all my parents have to leave me is debt :pac:

I hate thinking about stuff like that!How could people be waiting for their parents to die like that? Vultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i love my father hes a great guy.

But since the recession has taken a grip on me, ive sat down with him and politely asked him to hurry up and die so we can get our hands on the €8,000,000 worth of assests he has and split it 3 ways.

Ive left him to think about it.

Suprisingly he hasnt got back to me yet on my proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

take the money when she dies ( r.i.p ) gather the family then burn it on the spot...

to immortalize the point that family is more important then money if you can be rational about it you dont deserve it...

i done Everything i could for my granny and didn't take a cent of the proceeds no when she passed... nor should i of... it was and still is her money, not mine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

All I want is the time machine that I know my Dad's been hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My father fell out with his brother over an inheritance (and they still don't speak now), must be an Irish thing to fight over wills. :/ All I would ever want from an inheritance would be a small momento or something that meant a lot to me. My grandad is 92 this year and I would hope when he moves on that I could have his WW2 photos or things he collected over the years. As for people fighting over land and money, cop the fuck on, I hope ye get nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ruu wrote: »
    My father fell out with his brother over an inheritance (and they still don't speak now), must be an Irish thing to fight over wills. :/ All I would ever want from an inheritance would be a small momento or something that meant a lot to me. My grandad is 92 this year and I would hope when he moves on that I could have his WW2 photos or things he collected over the years. As for people fighting over land and money, cop the fuck on, I hope ye get nothing.

I know a girl who lost her father when she was a child.

Her uncle shot her father over a "field"

In Ireland there is something about Land that drives some people to do very bitter and bad things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

drunkdaz wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything wrong with expecting something when your parents pass away.

You need to remember there has been a huge transfer of wealth in the past decade from the young to the old. Today young people have to get 35 year mortgages to put a roof over their heads, 20 used to be the norm. And two people have to work to service theses loans which invariably benefit the older generations who either have seen the value of their own homes rocket or profited by been involved in property in some way.
    As well as this our parents will most likely be the last generation to enjoy a state pension. Young people have to pay taxes to pay for current pensions, generally working longer hours, while trying to contribute to their own private pensions. Modern life is just more stressful.

but when they were young, they had 18% mortgages which they had to beg for and that was only if they were one of the ones lucky enough to have a job!
    Modern life is not any more stressful, it's just stressful in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

My granny has made out a will saying how much everyone should be getting. My uncle is getting the least amount because when my gran had to go in for a triple by-pass my father and aunts decided to go private with it and paid for the op but my uncle didn't(I'm sure he had his reasons). She made out the will to pay them back the money that they spent.
    The only thing I'll probably get when she dies is a mass card.

My father also wants to give us the deposit for our own houses or a share in his house. So far none of us want to buy a house, none of us are in a place where we can buy houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

I genuinely do not expect anything from my Mam when she dies yet I know it is very important to her that she leaves us all something. I don't know why she feels it is so important.We are all sorted financially, we all have houses and jobs and are doing ok. My parents spent all their lives working and making sacrifices for us and I truly appreciate everything they did for us, materially and otherwise. After we all left home, my Mam and Dad enjoyed a few years of nice holidays, getting stuff done to the house, bought a new car...all the things they could not afford to do when they were rearing us. It was great to see them have that enjoyment but it did not last long enough. Dad died 4 years ago and my Mam has Parkinsons and is no longer mobile. I would give up any inheritance just to see the two of them happy, healthy and splashing their cash on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

here. shur if you were fit to do it, buy them out, let them live in the house and let them spend the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hagar wrote: »
    To quote the song "when Papa died all he left us was alone".

Until now, I'd always thought he was singing when Papa died all he left us was a loan.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Ruu wrote: »
    My father fell out with his brother over an inheritance (and they still don't speak now), must be an Irish thing to fight over wills. :/

Nope. My boyfriend is French and his father's family are already fighting over their parents property, and they are still alive. My boyfs grandfather already set up a company so that every year each of the children gets an equal amount, he did it because he thought that would make things above board and easier to sort out when he dies, but no, half of them aren't speaking to the others, and two of them aren't even speaking to the grandparents It's a disgrace to see the way they are behaving. The grandparents should be enjoying their final years but they are just upset over children not speaking to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have to admit I find this whole thing rather boggling - the last thing I think of when I think about my grandparents and my parents is "what'll I get when they finally keel over?"
    It's so selfish and insane. How will the kids feel when they're in their winter years and they're only regarded as a potential income source instead of loving family? Can you imagine actually looking at your (healthy and happy) relatives and hoping for them to DIE and not being able to think of anything else? That's messed up

:confused:
    Whatever I get by land/money/etc I will earn myself, that's that.
    Frankly if I had to deal with such a bunch of spoilt selfish brats, I'd donate the bulk of my assets anonymously to charity. Serve them right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

bluewolf wrote: »
    I have to admit I find this whole thing rather boggling - the last thing I think of when I think about my grandparents and my parents is "what'll I get when they finally keel over?"
    It's so selfish and insane. How will the kids feel when they're in their winter years and they're only regarded as a potential income source instead of loving family? Can you imagine actually looking at your (healthy and happy) relatives and hoping for them to DIE and not being able to think of anything else? That's messed up

:confused:
    Whatever I get by land/money/etc I will earn myself, that's that.
    +1

I want my parents to spend all their money on themselves, they've done enough for me and my siblings already,we won't need their money when they're gone.

My wife's family fell out over land, so did my mothers, tis an Irish thing allright.

My parants have already told us that they are SKIing!* so not expecting anything.

SKI: spend the kids inheritance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

Degsy wrote: »
    Sombody i know from co Clare was telling me that a lot of the so called random break-ins in isolated areas that result in 90 year olds getting beaten half to death are in fact attempts by greedy families to get relatives to sell up.

OH MY GOD--- that has made me feel sick!!!!!!!

my parents are in there 70's and have their own house, and there are 4 siblings, me and 3 brothers. I have a really hugh back garden 135 feet, and it's very private. I have built a "shed" I have water, plumbing, heating and electricy down there. I would love (and I've said it too them) if they sold the house and moved into the "shed". It's not tiny it's 17ft x 20ft so it's cosy. But it would mean that not only would it free up some money for them, hols ect, but as they are in their 70's I would feel more secure knowing that their near me for just-in-case's. 2 brothers are fine about it but it's the brother that has lived in America for the past 26 years that seems to have the problem with it!

any sugestions as to why!!! :(

drunkdaz wrote: »

Sleipnir wrote: »
    but when they were young, they had 18% mortgages which they had to beg for and that was only if they were one of the ones lucky enough to have a job!
    Modern life is not any more stressful, it's just stressful in different ways.

Ignoring the accidential wealth created by houses increasing in value above the rate of inflation, most people approaching retirement will have had a period of about 20 years or so to build up savings for a comfortable retirement. Kids moved out mortgage paid.

The current generation won't have that luxury as many will still be paying mortgages almost up to retirement age and kids will be staying home longer as they can't affort to get places of their own etc.

• Advertisement

magenta73 wrote: »

my parents are in there 70's and have their own house, and there are 4 siblings, me and 3 brothers. I have a really hugh back garden 135 feet, and it's very private. I have built a "shed" I have water, plumbing, heating and electricy down there. I would love (and I've said it too them) if they sold the house and moved into the "shed". It's not tiny it's 17ft x 20ft so it's cosy. But it would mean that not only would it free up some money for them, hols ect, but as they are in their 70's I would feel more secure knowing that their near me for just-in-case's. 2 brothers are fine about it but it's the brother that has lived in America for the past 26 years that seems to have the problem with it!

Is he scared that the money will be "wasted" on looking after them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

When i die i'd like to leave my children with money, but i don't care either way if my parents leave me anything

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Is he scared that the money will be "wasted" on looking after them!

He's also a priest with a ford focus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Did your brother in America see any pictures of this "shed"?

I'd say your right!, and it's funny because, when we sugested this to our parents, the first thing my mother said was "what about your inheritence" (sic- sorry) and my brothers and I explained that we all had our own homes, and that both of our parents had been very good to all of us when we first moved in, they bought us washing machines and things like that to help us, so we agreed that it was their money, but she said that brother no1 would go mad!.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

My parents have discussed with me and my brother what they are planning to do in their wills and have made us executors. They first brought this up when I was 18, as I would then take on the responsibility until my brother reached 18. We both know what they want and with changing circumstances they have adjusted what they want. This all sounds very morbid, but we have seen what can happen to families and the idea is that if we both know M&D's wishes then it will be easier for us to deal with that side of things when we have to.
    Both us of have said we would rather M&D blew the lot, unfortunately Mum has health problems so trips round the world are out, though they have said they might go to China if the brother and family move there.

Most awful thing I heard in my extended family was concerning three of my cousins who lost both their parents within three months, the family home was near London and there were shares in the estate so the kids got a fair bit of money (I hope enough to help in the current recession). Another cousin of ours said that they were "lucky" - I did point out to her that I would not like that kind of luck, burying both parents in three months.:(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I once asked my parents what would happen if they would pass away jokingly.

Apparently they hate the neighbours so much they want to convert it to a haulting site.

I approved.

Saibh wrote: »
    Did your brother in America see any pictures of this "shed"?

No, he has'nt seen it yet, but it's really a granny flat or out house - the reason I'm calling it a shed is because I'm afraid of neighbours objecting to it as I did'nt get planing permission, although I own my house and land.

It crossed my mind that he did'nt agree because he thought it was an oul wooden rickety thing, but we explained that it was the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

No, he has'nt seen it yet, but it's really a granny flat or out house - the reason I'm calling it a shed is because I'm afraid of neighbours objecting to it as I did'nt get planing permission, although I own my house and land.

It crossed my mind that he did'nt agree because he thought it was an oul wooden rickety thing, but we explained that it was the real deal.

Maybe if he saw a few photos of it, he might change his mind, just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭CommieBaz

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's so selfish and insane.

Sadly, with the way the world is these days, that very line of thought will be on the increase.

Advertisement