Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The religious divide...part 2

Options
  • 25-04-2009 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Again, no arguments here, just to see the diversity

Are you... 257 votes

Christian
    0% 0 votes
    Buddhist
    23% 61 votes
    Jewish
    1% 4 votes
    Muslim
    0% 1 vote
    Taoist
    0% 2 votes
    Hindu
    0% 1 vote
    Jedi
    0% 1 vote
    I neither believe nor disbelieve
    5% 13 votes
    I believe there is no God
    24% 62 votes
    Other?
    43% 112 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Religion always causes division .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Still Muslim.....Boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I edited the atheist and agnostic options to cut out the usual pedantic bullsh1t about the definition of each word. Hope you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Realist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Bah, wanted to say Jedi but had to go with "religion... lol :pac: "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

javaboy wrote: »
    I edited the atheist and agnostic options to cut out the usual pedantic bullsh1t about the definition of each word. Hope you don't mind.

Nah man, not at all, I want to avoid a flame war

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but you didn't give an option for the different christain religions - such as the various protestant religions > anglicans, presbyterians, methodists etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I demand an "Atari is God" option.

This is AH after all

There isn't enough poll options for the amount of christian divides
    Each of the others have their own sub divisions.

This is a broad ranging one to try catch as many people as possible

fryup wrote: »
    but you didn't give an option for the different christain religions - such as the various protestant religions > anglicans, presbyterians, methodists etc

It's Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael tbh. A disagreement over whether the bread contains a particular ingredient or not that goes back for yonks and people vote for one side or the other based on their parents' preference. :rolleyes: All just different flavours of vanilla really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

The flying Spaghetti Monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

fryup wrote: »

Single religion, multiple denominations surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭5318008!

Where's the Scientology option?

People waste time trying to explain the workings of the world with the flawed processes of reason and science. Instead they should be channeling their energy and living spiritually.

Scientology falls under "other"

I'll keep my personal opinion on it out of this thread, but it's under "other"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Christian Scientist:pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

5318008! wrote: »
    This is a poll about religions, not cults;)

Anyhoo, voted there is no god, since i'm a non practicing, non believing catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

People waste time trying to explain the workings of the world with the flawed processes of reason and science. Instead they should be channeling their energy and living spiritually.

It's actually hard to tell if your being sarcastic or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'd love to know what belief those who fall under "other" have.

I can't think of any other besides Bahai.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Voted Christian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

kraggy wrote: »

Apathetic Agnostics.

We don't know and we don't care.

i've linked the youtube clip before that shows the size of earth in comparison to the gigantic stars.. billions of times bigger.

not even god would be arsed with all the extra effort just to give us a pretty nighttime sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Not all theists/deists are part of a religion. Maybe if you had those two options you'd get a better look... or maybe not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Your being sarcastic aren't you?

Its a religion based poll - not a poll for direct, money raking in cults that hires police, soldiers and detectives as well as having its own full time huge 20 story high investigation unit (in Clearwater, Florida, USA). Staffed also by hundreds if not thousands of lawyers/solicitors worldwide!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

raah! wrote: »
    Not all theists/deists are part of a religion. Maybe if you had those two options you'd get a better look... or maybe not.

That would be agnosticism, but the poll options were edited to be ambiguous.

Atheism - do not believe there is a god, fair enough description.

Agnostic - believe there could be bordering on there is a higher power, but doesn't subscribe to a religion in particular, or believe in traditional bearded jolly loving deities.

If they were edited to avoid confusion, I don't think it has been a success.

That would be agnosticism, but the poll options were edited to be ambiguous.

Atheism - do not believe there is a god, fair enough description.

Agnostic - believe there could be bordering on there is a higher power, but doesn't subscribe to a religion in particular, or believe in traditional bearded jolly loving deities.

If they were edited to avoid confusion, I don't think it has been a success.

For starters, your definition of agnostic is wrong. The person you describe could be an agnostic, but not all agnostics match the description you gave.

The problem is that many people who might identify themselves as agnostic or atheist might not know exactly what the word means or what it can mean. I think the way I edited the poll makes it much easier for people to decide "What is the correct option for me?".

There is always the "Other" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Anyhoo, voted there is no god, since i'm a non practicing, non believing catholic.
    you and half the country. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

kraggy wrote: »

Pastafarianism. Also known as the church of the flying spaghetti monster, as previously mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I believe there is no God.

Boom, baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I choose Jedi but I'm pretty sure I'm going to convert to the darkside, much more fun.

Advertisement