Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Petrol

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,987 ✭✭✭✭flazio

KevR wrote: »
    Whereabouts are those stations? Are they much of a detour from the N6?

At the moment, no. One of them is just yards away from the roundabout that you use as you come off the dual carrigeway heading west, you'd actually see it on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,987 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Don't think you can get any cheaper than Tesco, unfortunately, they don't seem to have many pumps!
    Yes you can, I've seen independent stations in Birr cheaper then Tesco in Tullamore, don't go around thinking that Supermarket stations are going to beat the independents just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

115.9 in Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare!

Tesco's tried to open petrol station in Kilrush but I think it was refused, local traders up in arms about unfair competition - but some local consumers just want cheap petrol which the local traders are (apparently) unable to provide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

118.9 in Galway now

Creeping up again

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭YraggarY

119.9 in Bray, Co. Wicklow.. :eek:

• Advertisement

Oil's gone up from $60 to $70 a barrol in the past month! it was about $40 at the start of the year.

The Government needs to reverse that last petrol tax hike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think you'll find that is a green tax to encourage you to use public transport (that doesn't exist or has had its services cut). Vote FF/Green :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another big factor in the price of fuel is the average number of times it gets traded has gone up from 3 to 20 and each of those speculators gets a cut.

another big factor in the price of fuel is the average number of times it gets traded has gone up from 3 to 20 and each of those speculators gets a cut.

:mad::mad:so annoying!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Oil's gone up from $60 to $70 a barrol in the past month! it was about $40 at the start of the year.

The Government needs to reverse that last petrol tax hike!

The Government saw that people would pay high prices for fuel when the oil went high last time ( most people have no choice), so they decided to hike their tax when the price of oil fell. When Oil goes back up to its previous high (Which will happen sooner or later) I bet they wont take the tax back to previous levels.

Also the price of petrol goes up a bit in the summer because of the increased demand in america ( holiday Driving)and diesel falls. Diesel goes up here in winter also partly due to america (Increased demand for home heating oil)

When Tesco came to Tullamore there was a big drop in price compared to neighbouring towns. Now there isnt much difference. Although Birr must have some of the cheapest prices in Ireland (due to Flaherty's).

Diesel at 98.9 C/L last Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

medoc wrote: »
    Also the price of petrol goes up a bit in the summer because of the increased demand in america ( holiday Driving).
    Get out of it, it goes up in the American winter.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Get out of it, it goes up in the American winter.

Speculators don't need an excuse to gamble the cost up!

121 in Tallaght last night! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah lol lets all agree it mostly goes one way.

They only ever drop when there is a large drop in oil prices Internationally and need to be seen to drop it then it edges back up again regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I was in England recently and noticed that petrol was about the same price as here whereas diesel was dearer than their petrol, the opposite to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

I fuelled up yesterday near Bangor (nr Wales) at 99.9 while diesel was 8p more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Hogzy wrote: »
    Why is fuel so much at the mo, considering how low the price of oil ($60?) is i cant understand why petrol is only 10c cheaper than it was when oil was over $100 a barrel? Shouldnt it still be under the euro mark regardless of the new duties imposed!

I've got a theory that the Govt just monitors the price opf crude - if opec bring the price down they (the govt) simply add more tax to it - this seems to have happened 2 or 3 times in the past 18 months or so

Crude comes down - price at the pump comes down - tax goes up - crude comes down price at the pump comes down - tax goes up - It will get to the point that tax will be 90 cents in a 100 for petrol and diesel the days of blaming the opec countries for the expensive price of petrol are long gone - its the incompetence of the management of the economy, the public sector pay bill, the social security bill, bailing out the banks etc - the govt hav decided price of petrol will be between 1 euro and 1.10 and no matter how much stimulus opec gives us by lowering the price of crude the Govt will F*** us no matter what. They have to get money from somewhere and as we are one of the most car dependent nations in Europe they have us by the short and curlys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

petrol and diesel were £1.01 in Co. Down last week. Petrol's almost cheaper there than in Dublin...

Now 117.9 in Miltown Malbay, 120.9 in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

One place in cork is 123.9

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I just cant see how they are getting these prices -> I mean when oil was $150 a barrel petrol was €1.50 or so a litre. Oil is say $70 no yet even when taking out the government tax your still talking €1:10+ for petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I just cant see how they are getting these prices -> I mean when oil was $150 a barrel petrol was €1.50 or so a litre. Oil is say $70 no yet even when taking out the government tax your still talking €1:10+ for petrol.

Excise on petrol is at least 70c, if not more per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I saw two different prices in garages in Ballina in Mayo yesterday. One was 118.9and the other was 120.9 for petrol and I think the diesel was around the 102.9 mark. It is slowly creeping up in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

petrol 1.20/diesal 1.09 texaco blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

petrol and diesel were £1.01 in Co. Down last week. Petrol's almost cheaper there than in Dublin...

when the scale tips in the norths favour the shopping exodus will become even bigger - thei goernment just don't gettit do they???

westtip wrote: »
    when the scale tips in the norths favour the shopping exodus will become even bigger - thei goernment just don't gettit do they???

By my reckoning, it is already cheaper in the North - the exchange rate currently being €1.17 to the £1!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

when the scale tips in the norths favour the shopping exodus will become even bigger

Why should the scale tip in favour of the North? Especially as there will be an extra 2p of tax in the UK in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Looks like we can expect the price of petrol to rise ( relative to diesel)

http://www.platts.com/weblog/oilblog/2009/07/15/car_scrappage.html
    Efforts by European governments to halt the slide in new car sales this year are having one very unexpected side-effect which could spell trouble for refiners -- they have knocked diesel-engined vehicles off the top spot.
    According to the European Automobile Manufacturers' Association, ACEA, diesel comprised around 53% of all new car sales in 2007 and 2008, before the scrappage schemes were introduced.

For the first five months of this year, diesel sales fell to 46.3% of the total, apparently marking a reversal in the 20-year 'dieselization' of Europe.
    Within Europe, and further afield, this has spawned massive investment programs as refinery kit designed to meet gasoline demand is re-aligned, augmented and upgraded to produce ever greater volumes of diesel.

Much of this spending is still ongoing, designed to cope with Europe's apparently unquenchable thirst for diesel. The companies making this investment might be getting nervous at the apparent resurgence of gasoline.

Still, on a positive note, it could be good news for those loyal, conscientious, ecologically-aware and efficient drivers who stick with their diesel cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Looks like we can expect the price of petrol to rise ( relative to diesel)

Not really, the cars scrapped probably had an even higher proportion of petrol models as they reflect sales 12, 15 or 20 years ago, so the proportion of diesels has still gone up. Also the new models are probably more efficient, reducing consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

top station(only) petrol in clarina, limerick has gone from €1.10 to €1.14 in a week but there is value in it and it will be back at €1.10 again........topaz never seems to lower their prices always at the same price

• Advertisement
Advertisement