Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Airport Punters

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i remember, there was this girl who had this big handbag and it went through the x-ray machine and then in it was a bigchain off the bag, and some tipex =p
    it was funny to watch but the teacher on the school tour made me move.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

try bringing a parachute in your hand luggage!*

was coming through Charles de Gaulle from Moscow last summer and ended up missing my connecting flight onto Dublin due to over zealous security guard who was at first suspicious and then interested:pac:

in fairness it does look kinda dodgy on the x-ray scanner but seriously its not that uncommon to see one....

*due to security not for fear of flying:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I pulled a syringe(in packaging) out of our bags in Cork airport 3 weeks ago and asked the guy would he like to see the Doctors letter as evidence we must carry it.

"You have the letter?"
    "Yeah, let me show it to you"
    "Ah no, as long as you have it then grand"

The same thing happened in Heathrow, Singapore and Australia. The only person mildly interested was some security official in Thailand.

The same guy in Cork then proceeded to give me a lecture because one tube of toothpaste was at the bottom of my carry on. It fell out of the see through bag when I was pulling it out. I gave him a lecture about not bothering to care about an actual syringe and to be more concerned about toothpaste.

Fupping idiots!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just back from France yesterday. The security at the airport seriously thought my USB recorder pen (for meetings) was a laser pen and nothing else. They wanted to take it from me till I had to take it apart to show them how it actually fits into a computer to transfer data/sound etc.

Who trains these people anyway and have they ever seen a computer and its various parts - ie: a USB port!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

i was stoped cause i was wearing a man utd top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Can ya bring toothpaste/shampoo/shower gel or are these considered liquids?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Can ya bring toothpaste/shampoo/shower gel or are these considered liquids?

Yes they are, but you can bring 100ml of each in your hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you freeze your bottle of water is it technically a liquid? If I come through with molten lava in my bag is it allowed cos it's liquid?

We should all stick strips of lead onto the inside of our bags and form the lead into shapes or words to give the X-Ray machinist a good chuckle when viewing our bags. The shape of a smiley face for example, or a penis maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Gordon wrote: »
    If you freeze your bottle of water is it technically a liquid? If I come through with molten lava in my bag is it allowed cos it's liquid?

We should all stick strips of lead onto the inside of our bags and form the lead into shapes or words to give the X-Ray machinist a good chuckle when viewing our bags. The shape of a smiley face for example, or a penis maybe.

Yeah, or a bowling ball with a piece of rope coming out the top,
    beside a bunch of candles tied together.

Best of all, if you really have your heart set on sneaking some highly flammable liquids onto the plane, never fear.
    The good folks in 'Duty Free Shopping' will be happy to oblidge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Berty wrote: »
    I pulled a syringe(in packaging) out of our bags in Cork airport 3 weeks ago and asked the guy would he like to see the Doctors letter as evidence we must carry it.
    No point in bothering to take it out and show them unless they spot it themselves. The "security" have never stopped me to search my bag due to the actually potential dangerous items that I have in it such as syringes. They do stop me to have a look at all the gadgets that they spy on the scanner though, or maybe a small tube of toothpaste or contact lens solution that appears suspicious on their scanner, at which point I do tell them that there are sharp items in my bag before they go diving in to see what interesting things I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Only ever flown the once(+ return). Had no idea what to do or expect, and managed to forget the steel-caps on my boots. OP forgets that a lot of people might well be first-time or irregular fliers, who wouldn't be used to it, or would have no idea what they were doing.

I didn't bother bring any liquids with me at all, because I knew they were fussy about it. You can buy toothpaste and soap anywhere, so I just didn't bother with all the fuss.

I got some odd-looks on the way back home through Stanstead though. A stainless steel tin full of stacked DvD's looks 'interesting' under X-rays. And I ran Ryanair's 10-kilo limit close enough alright,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

^ Used to be banned from both carry on and checked bags in the US. They've since relaxed the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Dartz wrote: »
    OP forgets that a lot of people might well be first-time or irregular fliers, who wouldn't be used to it, or would have no idea what they were doing.

There is a constant looping announcement at the security area, telling you to remove these items and perpare for the screening. People almost always ignore this.

When I was going to Madrid about a year ago, the morning I was leaving, I grabbed a backpack and fired some stuff into it. Went through security in Dublin, no hassle, had a lovely holiday. Then, coming back in Madrid Barajas, I get called aside when they X-Ray my bag. Turns out, my somelier knife (I was working in a wine bar at the time) was in the side pocket, and had been since a few days before I left Dublin. Crazy. My broken Spanish didn't help the situation either!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Last Feb I was going through Dublin Airport security for a flight to JFK and my fiance was pulled aside to have his hand luggage checked. I presumed this was because he was carrying our ipods and a couple of other small electrical items. The security woman searched the bag and let us on our way.
    When we were on the plane I opened the bag to get out a magazine and saw there was a large Swiss army style knife in the bottom of the bag with a 3 inch blade, screwdriver, bottle opener amongst other functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Pollythene Pam

I was that old Hyacinth Bucket type in frount of you in the queue.
    Im sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

obl wrote: »
    There is a constant looping announcement at the security area, telling you to remove these items and perpare for the screening. People almost always ignore this.

I couldnt hear it over the noise of people. Was surprised just how crowded Dublin Airport could be at 6-7am. Didnt know what to do at the security check, until somebody I was travelling with told me.

I pity the poor people in that room. The smell off my boots when I finally took them off.... it's a class 2 chemical weapon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My bag was searched in Dublin once, turns out I forgot there was a bottle of lube in there:o

The nice lady just put it back and sent me on my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

while coming home from murcia last friday a couple in front of us who were on the same flight on going through passport control produced what looked like a visa bank link size card and just walked on through with the wave of the hand,i though we all had to show a passport ,what was it ? and yes we could have asked but the eyeballing we got from the surly git in the box because we held up our passports put us off asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

spatchco wrote: »
    [...] what looked like a visa bank link size card and just walked on through with the wave of the hand,i though we all had to show a passport [...]
    Probably a national ID like this:
    personalausweis_musterfrau.jpg

With the EU, these are accepted en lieu of passports everywhere within the EU (even outside of Schengen)... really nice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That was a Spanish National ID Card Link.

EDIT - Snap but I win, no marks for a German card. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

thanks hagar,yep that was it,very neat

Advertisement