Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Airport Punters

Options
  • 24-04-2009 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭

I had to catch a flight today.
    I got to the security gates and there was a massive queue (couple of hundred people).

Everyone's trudging along, wishfully staring at the lucky people going through the gates.
    Yet when half of these goons actually reached the gate they react in shock when they're told to remove their belts or that they can't carry handbags through.

Whenever it's my turn to go through the checks I'm like a well-oiled machine.
    Everything's out of my pockets, jacket's off etc.
    But I'm stuck behind a neverending stream of buffoons who insist on walking through with keys and coins in pockets, dripping in jewellery, etc.
    I mean, who could have guessed that metal-detectors actually get set off by metal.

Then there was this old Hyacinth Bucket type, who got all offended when she was taken aside for a search after setting the detector off.
    Helpfully pointing out to security that it was stupid searching her, that she "hardly looked like a drug smuggler".
    True words indeeds, for as we all know, drug smugglers are always called Carlito, have long greasy hair in a pony-tail
    and wear black leather jackets and dark sunglasses.

Even better was her friend who remarked, "look, they're after letting them two darkies slip through
    while they've been wasting their time with you".

I could go on much longer about yet another stressful day at an airport, but this post is already too long...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

It annoys me when people spend an hour at the security gate taking all the liquids out and throwing them in the bin. I can't honestly believe that it's everyones first time flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Then there was this old Hyacinth Bucket type, who got all offended when she was taken aside for a search after setting the detector off. Helpfully pointing out to security that it was stupid searching her, that she "hardly looked like a drug smuggler".
    A friends mother wouldn't remove her hat going through Cork Airport and came out with "you probably think I have a bomb in it", security well used to the type just shrugged it off, but he now deliberately books different flights to his mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I was once called out for having a bullet keychain my bro brought back from bosnia. They spent 10 minutes asking the scary looking bikers if it was theirs before they finally twigged it might be someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Random wrote: »
    It annoys me when people spend an hour at the security gate taking all the liquids out and throwing them in the bin. I can't honestly believe that it's everyones first time flying.

Yeah, I'd one of them clowns too.
    Despite all the signs that clearly stated 'NO LIQUIDS' he still
    appeared shocked when asked to relinquish his 500ml bottle of Coke.

His defence?
    "Wha? sure it's Coke, what harm's that gonna do?"

To be fair the Irish seemed to be the worst offenders.

I also have to mention the lovely young girl from london who was
    in the seat beside the Emergency Exit on the plane.
    She panicked when the Stewerdess asked her if she had read the instructions to operate the door in case of an emergency.

"Oh God, I can't do that, I aint even got no GCSEs or nufink" - classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Victor wrote: »
    A friends mother wouldn't remove her hat going through Cork Airport and came out with "you probably think I have a bomb in it", security well used to the type just shrugged it off, but he now deliberately books different flights to his mother.

"Yeah that's your gate over there, mine is over here. They uh...meet in the middle of the plane, cya on there !"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

well here is the real deal

my partners granny, is 75 and well able to run from one side of newbridge to the other

but every time she goes to see her daughter in england ,she must request a wheelchair and someone to push it trough the airport, from start to finish, she brings 20 full size bags weighing atleast half a ton each,
    just to bring them back the following week, and when charged for the bags she tells the person on the desk
    "do you realise im an old woman and thats my kidney machine in them bags and if you charge me for them i will pull the face off you"

so the person says sorry

and then she gets up out of the wheel chair and walks to the toilet, telling the people who treid to charge her for her "kidney machine"that she will be back in a minute she needs to run into the toilet for a lash before she gets on the plane.

she swallows as many brandies as a group of alcholics would in a week on the way to the plane, and insults the air hostesses about their make up and skirts being to short, whilst blowing enough farts to run a small power plant , and normally the planr is about an hour delayed every time she flies,

i wonder why!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

These are the same bunch of morons who queue at a till/checkout for 10 minutes then wait until the salesperson gives them a total owed before even bothering to look for their purse...and I'd guess the same bunch who stand on escalators, sit in the overtaking lane at 100kmph, and just generally slow the whole damn world down for everyone else. They're the reason tasers should be legal, in certain circumstances.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Tasers would be an interesting solution but it lacks the permanency my anger requires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Victor wrote: »
    Try doing that in Israel. They'll have you water boarded quicker than you can say Hamas. The security there quiz every passenger like they are mossad interrogators

• Advertisement

Try doing that in Israel.
    One might wager that many of your stories begin with that statement. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Tasers would be an interesting solution but it lacks the permanency my anger requires.

More permanent solutions don't give the cnuts a chance to learn and change their ways. In the case of persistent offenders I'm willing to allow for a substantial increase in voltage in the legislation.

Leitrim lad's granny in law sounds like great craic though.

Wertz wrote: »
    More permanent solutions don't give the cnuts a chance to learn and change their ways. In the case of persistent offenders I'm willing to allow for a substantial increase in voltage in the legislation.

Leitrim lad's granny in law sounds like great craic though.
    I was watching a documentary about how the US standard houses electrical current was actually at the exact right voltage required to stop the human heart.
    Maybe we should do that over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

My only incident with airport security was being stopped twice and swobbed for cocaine. Once in Ottawa flying into Philadelphia, and then in Birmingham flying to Dublin.

It was scary the first time. When it happened again I chuckled, which probably made me look even more suspicious to the poor security lady.

Did they tell you the swab was for cocaine? I got the ole swab a few times. Never said what it was for though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Adiboo wrote: »
    My only incident with airport security was being stopped twice and swobbed for cocaine. Once in Ottawa flying into Philadelphia, and then in Birmingham flying to Dublin.

It was scary the first time. When it happened again I chuckled, which probably made me look even more suspicious to the poor security lady.

I didn't know they swobbed for illegal drugs.

I've had my laptop swobbed for traces of explosives a couple of times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

In JFk airport last year I was taken into a side room and had my shoes and handbag, and belt swabbed inside and out, when I asked what it was for I was told explosives. Gave me a fair hop so it did :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I always get stopped at the metal detector in germany, I set it off. I still have no idea why - a metal button on my jeans and some underwear underwire. Guys, if your metal detectors are picking THAT up they may be a tad too sensitive :(

Haven't seen too many people holding up airport queues I have to say, though they're not always as ready as you'd like. And of course nobody slides the trays back down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

So now ordinary people the world over have to allow themselves to be subjected to this horseshyte, who says the terrorists aren't winning?. It certainly looks like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I wrote about this recently on my blog. I sometimes pass through an airport 2-3 times a week so I'm a fairly clued in traveller. I've decided to call all morons in airports 'f*ckwits'. I'm still trying to think of good words for roadhogs and other ignorami.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

dudara wrote: »
    I wrote about this recently on my blog. I sometimes pass through an airport 2-3 times a week so I'm a fairly clued in traveller. I've decided to call all morons in airports 'f*ckwits'. I'm still trying to think of good words for roadhogs and other ignorami.

all the readers of your blog are up in arms about this too, judging by all the comments they're leaving . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I was behind a mother and child in a queue through security in JFK a while ago when the place erupted as a gun was spotted in the x-ray machine.

It was a toy water-pistol, but the hold up lasted ages and the poor little boy was subjected to having all his precious toys and teddies held up and poked publicly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I was behind a mother and child in a queue through security in JFK a while ago when the place erupted as a gun was spotted in the x-ray machine.

It was a toy water-pistol, but the hold up lasted ages and the poor little boy was subjected to having all his precious toys and teddies held up and poked publicly!

Was his name Junior Harvey Oswald?

Did they tell you the swab was for cocaine? I got the ole swab a few times. Never said what it was for though.

Aye, first time I was swobbed in Ottawa, I asked and yerman said cocaine. I just assumed it was the same the 2nd time it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Airport security is a load of cock tbh. I've been playing a game of 'hide the lighter' with those dudes for two years now and I'm running rings around them. So far the score is 11-1; that includes Dublin, Bristol, Heathrow, Gatwick, Bangkok, Kathmandu, Delhi, Amman, Istanbul and Sharjah.

To top it all off I saw a woman in the UAE be permitted to fly to Heathrow with a parafinn lamp as part of her hand luggage because 'it's a family heirlomb and it might break!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I rarely have problems aside from the quick pat down (young man!) because I wear baggy clothes for flying. I am always prepared, dump everything in the laptop bag then take out the laptop and I'm away. *shuffles through in socks*

RATM wrote: »
    Airport security is a load of cock tbh. I've been playing a game of 'hide the lighter' with those dudes for two years now and I'm running rings around them.

My friend was able to walk through Dublin airport security with a bottle of Veet hair removal cream. They didn't even bat an eyelid. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Adiboo wrote: »
    My friend was able to walk through Dublin airport security with a bottle of Veet hair removal cream. They didn't even bat an eyelid. Ridiculous.

Haha that just got me remembering a mate putting a full bone of a lambs leg into another mates luggage as a prank. Security didn't cop that one either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The best holdup I ever experienced was at Cork. A girl (yes, blonde) was immediately before me at the security gate, and was told to remove her boots. She dutifully took them off, put them under her arm, and dashed through the metal detector arch. The security people only took a minute to make her understand what she actually was supposed to do, but by that time the rest of us in the queue were so convulsed with laughter than we had become incapable of movement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭morning-glory

That's pretty annoying now. I hate airports, especially going away with my mother who was so afraid she'll miss the flight had us there 4 or 5 hours in advance. I never wear a belt and make sure I have nothing that will go off in the metal detector but I still always go off. maybe its my heart of steel.

Advertisement