Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH HEROES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

I can't think of anyone from the British Isles that inspire me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

How did I forget-Steve Collins.
    I heard he used to box aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

steve stuanton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Roy Keane and Niall Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

michael collins definetly one of the greatest irish heroes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Im fairly sure he is dead, just apart from his revolutionary activities his teaching methods (he was a school teacher) were ahead of his time and he played a major role in keeping the Irish language alive. (sure its a bitch to learn lol )
    Its also a bitch learning to read,the hero has to be alive.Read the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

i mean bring a tear to your eye, if your the sensitive type.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqVsD_eK-4

What a man! That's got me all nostalgic, now watching us play is like a chore. Hopefully we can see the likes of this again in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Barry McGuigan ....no one makes spuds like Finbar Patrick McGuigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

i mean bring a tear to your eye, if your the sensitive type.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqVsD_eK-4

Greatest player ever to come out of the Ireland.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irisheddie

i would have said sean quinn

now i am open to opposition on this

but like myself he started with sweet dam all, and made how many billions, and created thousands of families with incomes, who could live a bit more comfortable

to turn around and loose nearly it all to a corrupt bank, and still keep his head above water, with minimal effect on his employees,

now people from outside cavan,fermanagh,leitrim, longford, cork,galway,dublin and probably a few other counties he is in, probably wont realise what he has done for the people of these counties,

and should take into account how he saved 300 jobs in cork 2 years ago, and how he created employment in places like cavan and leitrim

2 counties that never had employment,

in alot of peoples eyes he is their hero ,and then you will get the begrudgers who will tell you that he deserved to go bust with the anglo thing
    Good choice my aul lad grew up with him and my family have had a good few functions in that slieve russell of his allways does a good deal created alot of work outta feck all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 classifiedband

There are no heroes alive today in this country. There have been a few martyrs named on this thread, and a few who did live up to the title of hero, but these are now deceased. One or two semi-famous people have been named, including sports stars; few of which ever displayed anything remotely resembling heroic-like qualities. When I say ‘qualities’, I don’t simply refer to the person’s skill, but also their ability to inspire others through their actions and outstanding character. I am talking about qualities also intrinsic of a true leader.

Look at our political system for example. Our Taoiseach is a man who rose in the ranks of a party dogged by decades of intrigue and corruption. He became Taoiseach after the leader of the party resigned-under shameful circumstances. He never led the party in an election and was therefore not the choice of the people. He is a solicitor. Our Taoiseach’s tend to be Ministers for Finance before assuming the role of leader. Thus, they tend to be solicitors and accountants.

Firstly ask yourself, “Do I trust solicitors or accountants?”

Then ask “do solicitors or accountants – paper pushers – tend possess even the slightest hint of charisma so vital in leadership?”

Now ask yourself “why do we put up with this system?”

The words of a leader in Modern Ireland: “As long as I am running this Government I will run the Government as I see fit...as I believe in, based on my philosophy! … I will run the country on the basis of how I see it.”

The other parties fail to offer difference, change or hope. They fail to offer a strong alternative.

Truth: in a country that has no real political leaders there can be no inspiration for the ordinary classes. Without that inspiration, no grassroots campaign to create real leaders can occur.

We will be devoid of heroes until we can amend our situation unless there arises a hero to fix the problems we now face. Or am I just daydreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

todolist wrote: »
    I can't think of anyone from the British Isles that inspire me.
    Really? Nobody asked for that.

U2 are heroes whether you like them or not.
    They have done more for tourism in this country over the past 30 years than anyone or anything else.
    It's not cool to acknowledge it, so I don't expect anyone to do so publicly. You all know I'm right though.

Blah blah blah taxes holland bone blah blah ****ing blah. Heard it all before . Move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Bob Geldof

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Yer man that tripped ove his foot and landed in the fountain!!

No seriously, I have great faith in the Irish nation - even though I'm form Limerick, and personally our elders have an awful lot of wisdom to bestow on us. Plenty of men/women in their 70/80/90's are completely ignored. No harm to take a few seconds to listen, living heroes. Not all of em but some are quality, just like every other aspect of life but they are ALL compeletely ignored
    Just my little opinion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Jonathan Swift is not dead. He's a parody!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Yer man that tripped ove his foot and landed in the fountain!!

No seriously, I have great faith in the Irish nation - even though I'm form Limerick, and personally our elders have an awful lot of wisdom to bestow on us. Plenty of men/women in their 70/80/90's are completely ignored. No harm to take a few seconds to listen, living heroes. Not all of em but some are quality, just like every other aspect of life but they are ALL compeletely ignored
    Just my little opinion
    Actually, you make a great point about our soldiers.
    They risk their lives in war torn regions of the world for the sake of peace and are mostly ignored.
    Many have died in the name of peace and they they should be recognised as the heroes that they are.
    They don't go in to conquer a country. They are there just trying to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Laugh you may but I'm saying Johhny Logan purely because the night Johnny brought it home for Ireland was the night I lost my virginity. We both got plastered drunk and staggered into bed singing 'Hold Me Now, don't cry, don't say a word...' And so began a quick five minutes of fumbling passion :D

On a more serious note I'd say John Hume. Absolute legend, he did way more for the peace process than many others take credit for. Anyone who has ever met him cannot fail to be stricken by his statesmanlike presence, understanding and humility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Terry wrote: »
    They risk their lives in war torn regions of the world for the sake of peace and are mostly ignored.
    Many have died in the name of peace and they they should be recognised as the heroes that they are.

Thanks Terry.

Here's the lads in Chad (Africa)..

And our lads in Kosovo..

East Timor..

And Liberia..

And those who went before todays young lads CLICK HERE (I think this one is pretty moving since I served with some of these lads when they were killed)

These clips are worth watching guys.

But sadly I feel these clips and their significance will be ignored by the majority here who have no idea, 'nor will they ever have an idea, what it means to serve oversea's in the service of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ray McSharry. Without him, there'd have been no Celtic tiger.

The rest we messed up ourselves.

Connolly and Parnell, but we are going back 100/130 years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

also Patrick Rocca.. he's an hero

...too soon?

thats not even funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Roddy Doyle:

He lived just a stones throw from me and the man is a legend.

The Commitments:
    The Van:
    The Snapper:lmao
    The Woman Who Walked Into Doors.

He has published some great kids books as well.

Rodders gets my vote on this one.

david norris is a pretty cool guy for a fag

actually shouldng have said the last part, the disrespect outweighs the humor maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Michael D Higgins, for removing the many of the concessions made by our impressionable founding fathers to the the catholic church, and hes done alot of other stuff but that's my big reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Terry wrote: »
    Having two family members in the defence forces I know what your saying.The problem is while they might inspire family members,they would be unknown to the general public.Unlike england or america I doubt we have any irish soldiers that are household names,and that kids in school would mention as heroes(indivuals that inspire them).Maybe its the way the media in these countries promote their warheroes?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

The people who bothered to read the OP's question are heroes to me.

Having two family members in the defence forces I know what your saying.The problem is while they might inspire family members,they would be unknown to the general public.Unlike england or america I doubt we have any irish soldiers that are household names,and that kids in school would mention as heroes(indivuals that inspire them).Maybe its the way the media in these countries promote their warheroes?.

dermot earley jr who plays for the kildare gaa team is high up in the military i think, not sure where he served. and his father an ex gaa manager has a very high rank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

mario rosenstock

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

James Dillon Would be one of mine. He spoke out against Irish Neutrality In World War 2 and Resigned From Fine Gael in 1942 (being the only TD to Do so)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

dermot earley jr who plays for the kildare gaa team is high up in the military i think, not sure where he served. and his father an ex gaa manager has a very high rank

Dermot Earley is Chief of Staff.

My aul man,survied 3 bouts of cancer.Thats my hero!

As for household names,I suppose the soliders overseas.Not many would put themselves in harms way to protect those that they dont even know.

Advertisement