Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH HEROES

Options
  • 24-04-2009 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

ARE THERE ANY?
    Are there any Irish individuals alive that inspire you , that you would consider a hero?.
    Or have we become a nation of corrupt politicians,drugpushers,crooked businessmen and begrudgers where the only people that inspire our kids are from other countries and charcters on TV.
    Other countries are always rabbiting on about their heroes.Given the state of the country,the economy,the politicians, the doom and gloom etc,we need to be inspired.So which Irish people inspire you?.

Definition of hero:
    !. A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life.
    2. A person noted for special achievement in a particular field.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Bono inspires me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Thats why im a twat all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

i would have said sean quinn

now i am open to opposition on this

but like myself he started with sweet dam all, and made how many billions, and created thousands of families with incomes, who could live a bit more comfortable

to turn around and loose nearly it all to a corrupt bank, and still keep his head above water, with minimal effect on his employees,

now people from outside cavan,fermanagh,leitrim, longford, cork,galway,dublin and probably a few other counties he is in, probably wont realise what he has done for the people of these counties,

and should take into account how he saved 300 jobs in cork 2 years ago, and how he created employment in places like cavan and leitrim

2 counties that never had employment,

in alot of peoples eyes he is their hero ,and then you will get the begrudgers who will tell you that he deserved to go bust with the anglo thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

Alix Ferguson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Bob Geldof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where's me Ipods?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Padrig Pearse, not just for the revolutionary stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

My Irish Heroes?

De Valera Michael Collins

Michael Davitt

Roy Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Padrig Pearse, not just for the revolutionary stuff :D
    If your talking about who I think you are.....eh.....there's no easy way ...to say this....but i'am sorry.....he...he's dead.

• Advertisement

dont forget poor ould paisley
    (sarcasm to the highest degree)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

The guy who got shot in Limerick last week for standing up to the scumbags, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Has to be Paul O'Connell for me and too a lesser extent Brian O'Driscoll.

Christy Moore, Ronnie Drew, Luke Kelly, the Pecker Dunne and Barney McKenna are all irish heroes..

Katie Taylor and Bernard Dunne.

Jim Larkin and James Connolly were heroes of the working class!

Johnney Morrisey (look him up.. :P ... check out "morrisey and the russian sailor by Chisty moore"

bertie..... eh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I mis-read the original post, Paul McGrath as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

If your talking about who I think you are.....eh.....there's no easy way ...to say this....but i'am sorry.....he...he's dead.

Im fairly sure he is dead, just apart from his revolutionary activities his teaching methods (he was a school teacher) were ahead of his time and he played a major role in keeping the Irish language alive. (sure its a bitch to learn lol )

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ARE THERE ANY?
    Are there any Irish individuals alive that inspire you , that you would consider a hero?.
    I've encountered some, but they're not well known ... call them unsung heroes, if you will. People who give a lot of their time and energy to their community or to the most marginalised in society without looking for payment or praise or even thanks ...

hector for what he has done for our native tongue ,and all the other sh2t aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Eddie Macken

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Mary Robinson =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

dirtyden wrote: »
    I mis-read the original post, Paul McGrath as well.

this would put tears in your eyes, what a legend, what a warrior!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Brendan Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

also Patrick Rocca.. he's an hero

...too soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

this would put tears in your eyes, what a legend, what a warrior!<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQqVsD_eK-4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EQqVsD_eK-4&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i mean bring a tear to your eye, if your the sensitive type.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqVsD_eK-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

i would have said sean quinn

now i am open to opposition on this

but like myself he started with sweet dam all, and made how many billions, and created thousands of families with incomes, who could live a bit more comfortable

to turn around and loose nearly it all to a corrupt bank, and still keep his head above water, with minimal effect on his employees,

now people from outside cavan,fermanagh,leitrim, longford, cork,galway,dublin and probably a few other counties he is in, probably wont realise what he has done for the people of these counties,

and should take into account how he saved 300 jobs in cork 2 years ago, and how he created employment in places like cavan and leitrim

2 counties that never had employment,

in alot of peoples eyes he is their hero ,and then you will get the begrudgers who will tell you that he deserved to go bust with the anglo thing

I would have admired him for the "self-made man" thing as well (in no way a hero, mind you).

Now i hear how he lost 4.5 billion in the past year or so.
    (Was thinking to myself- didn't know he had 4.5b to lose in the first place.
    Thought he was worth less than 3b).
    That huge loss makes him seem less shrewd somehow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

The Duke of Wellington.He put Boney back in his box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Don Conroy.

Nobody can draw an owl better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Parnell. Greatest ever Irishman, greatest ever stabbing in the back of an Irishman as well.

tech77 wrote: »
    I would have admired him for the "self-made man" thing as well (in no way a hero, mind you).

Now i hear how he lost 4.5 billion in the past year or so.
    (Was thinking to myself- didn't know he had 4.5b to lose in the first place.
    Thought he was worth less than 3b).
    That huge loss makes him seem less shrewd somehow. :)

you know the way these speculaters operate, cut it to one third ,that is every figure they mention, i heard not so long ago that he was worth 7.9bn at the height of the boom,

so he lost 1bn in anglo did he drink the other 6.9bn

again maybe not a hero in everyones eyes but ,every young lad around leitrim,cavan area wants to be him when they grow up, with the green lorries on every road in the country and all the quarries, and so on

how do you think i ended up in the trade im in, i put the day dreaming into action at a young age, and now i have my own green lorries

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Niall Melon

For setting up the charity building so many houses in Africa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm on a mobile so I can't google for him, but the guy who lost a daughter in the Eniskillen bomb and then dedicated his life to bridging the gap between the communities.

Advertisement