Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG2 vs MPEG4 DTT

Options
124»

Comments

OT
    Can I use any old USB MPEG2 key or do I need codecs specific to the device ?
    OS Windows / Ubuntu

Depends on the software really. If you install a H.264 codec and your stick's software doesn't work then you could use DVBViewer instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Core AVC on Windows. Dunno what the penguin uses. Maybe x264?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I have yet to see someone get x264 to work with dvb-t via Kaffeine for example.

Use CoreAVC with either DVBviewer or Mediaportal in Windoze

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The whole DVD, BD, MPEG thing is a problem for Linux, Hence deCSS.

I had loan of quad tuner, 320Gbyte HDD, DVD writer Linux based box. It could not play commercial DVDs. Only home made ones as they had no Licence nor installed DeCSS. The Distro was a bit strange so it couldn't be easily added either. Epic FAIL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

STB wrote: »
    I have yet to see someone get x264 to work with dvb-t via Kaffeine for example.

On Ubuntu 9.04 I'm having decent results using apps like Totem-xine, Me TV, and Kaffeine.

Playback is flawless if I record a stream in Windows and play it in Ubuntu, so the decoding of H.264 isn't a problem.

Live streams in Ubuntu are good too, but it seems to want slightly stronger and stable signals (88%+) compared to Windows (75%+) for uninterrupted playback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement