Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Sums up Ireland really

Hey..stop Ireland-bashing! I'm from there!

Most of us are, here, to be fair.
    Just ignore it...that's what the rest of us are trying to do...:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Answer the question. I'm looking for ONE other country and we'll do our research to see if they are as incompetent as we are.

P.S No personal insults says one of the mods.

But it's not the main road between Dublin and Cork, that will go via the tunnel to the south side with one signal controlled junction towards Cork, and none leaving Cork to Dublin.

If the N40 Northern part is built, there'll be very little traffic in by Tivoli

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

But it's not the main road between Dublin and Cork, that will go via the tunnel to the south side with one signal controlled junction towards Cork, and none leaving Cork to Dublin.

If the N40 Northern part is built, there'll be very little traffic in by Tivoli

Indeed. When the North Ring is built, Glanmire-Dunkettle will become M40 more than likely and the N8 from Dunkettle to the city will become a regional road. The main priority for this project is connectivity between the national roads, e.g. the M8, N25 and N40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday morning not a car to be seen at 9am from any direction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Any idea what exactly is being done. Do we know when heavy construction is due to start?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any idea what exactly is being done. Do we know when heavy construction is due to start?
    Advance works ongoing on the actual interchange site, more work ongoing at Silversprings.

Full works to begin in Q1 2019.

marno21 wrote: »
    Advance works ongoing on the actual interchange site, more work ongoing at Silversprings.

Full works to begin in Q1 2019.

Any timeline on the works at Silverprings. Surely 6 months is more than enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Truckermal wrote: »
    I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday morning not a car to be seen at 9am from any direction!

At Dunkettle or Silversprings? I was too busy trawling the kip that is called the N28.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Part of the latest email update.

Dunkettle Interchange Project:
    • At the main Dunkettle site, advance works including detailed ground investigations and ecological mitigation measures are continuing across the site.
    • In addition, construction of the site office for the project is now underway at the western end of Little Island.

Silversprings:
    • Footpath construction and road resurfacing to regularise the traffic lanes in the area for both inbound and outbound traffic.
    • At Silversprings, construction of the new boundary wall at HSS is continuing with on road elements of the works continuing to be progressed under night-time working in order to minimise disruption to traffic.
    • Works on the extension to the centre median will get underway next week and we hope to have two lanes established for inbound traffic before the end of November 2018.
    A 24-hour helpline has been established for the Dunkettle project, incorporating Silversprings – (021)2021190.

• Advertisement

Just so thought on the Dunkettle Roundabout which should be considered in conjunction with the Dunkettle Interchange.

The Tivoli container port will eventually be completely redeveloped for medium to high density residential usage.

A few thoughts.

The current entry and exit on its own is not sufficient for potentially 10,000 people. A new dumb bell interchange should be built where the Dunkettle Roundabout is. Would freeflow N8 traffic and give a second access point to the new development.

Thinking further. Have a new dumbbell interchange to create 2 road access points.

In addition, maybe a further foot bridge over the railway tracks mid way down the Tivoli DC. I’d also consider a foot bridge over across to Blackrock which would help tie the development into light rail between Mahon and the City Centre.

If the money was there I’d put the rail line underground via cut and cover. That’s dreamland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Just so thought on the Dunkettle Roundabout which should be considered in conjunction with the Dunkettle Interchange.

The Tivoli container port will eventually be completely redeveloped for medium to high density residential usage.

A few thoughts.

The current entry and exit on its own is not sufficient for potentially 10,000 people. A new dumb bell interchange should be built where the Dunkettle Roundabout is. Would freeflow N8 traffic and give a second access point to the new development.

With the Tivoli docks development planned to have a railway station and sustainable transport solutions, I don't think the planners are interested in drawing more traffic there.

Having a freeflow to the N8 West also feeds traffic to roads that can't sustain it. I'd imagine once the M40 North Ring is built the N8 will be detrunked anyway with M40/N27 being the preferred route to the City Centre.

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    With the Tivoli docks development planned to have a railway station and sustainable transport solutions, I don't think the planners are interested in drawing more traffic there.

Having a freeflow to the N8 West also feeds traffic to roads that can't sustain it. I'd imagine once the M40 North Ring is built the N8 will be detrunked anyway with M40/N27 being the preferred route to the City Centre.

The existing junction cannot take current traffic, don’t mind traffic from 4,000 residential units / 10,000 additional people. There seems to be a will in Cork to do large developments with single access points and then wonder why access is ****.

I can also never see them try to funnel more traffic down the N27. Traffic backs up worse on the N27 compared to the N8 in the mornings and doing this is only adding further traffic to the Kinsale Roundabout and the N40 which are both creaking.

A few thoughts.

I think the biggest issue here would be the proximity of the Dunkettle R/A to the Dunkettle Interchange itself. Same as the issue with the Bandon/Sarsfield interchanges on the N40 and the Togher/Kinsale Rd interchanges too. The eastbound offramp for the N8 -> M8 link at Dunkettle starts further west now and I think any new interchange there would be too close to Dunkettle.

The one plus is that in 10 years or so, with the Tivoli Port closed and the North Ring replaced by a motorway that actually serves its purpose, the Silversprings Interchange will be quieter and this may prove sufficient for the needs of the Tivoli area.
    EnzoScifo wrote: »

I think the N8 being detrunked is only a matter of time. Long term more park and rides, especially using the rail lines, is absolutely paramout. I expect to see this in the Cork Transportation Strategy due out shortly from the Council & NTA.

The existing junction cannot take current traffic, don’t mind traffic from 4,000 residential units / 10,000 additional people. There seems to be a will in Cork to do large developments with single access points and then wonder why access is ****.

Most of that is in fairness, down to the completely inadequate funding of infrastructure projects in Cork in general. Cork's infrastructure backlog is continually growing due to expansion, and the lack of anything being done. At least Dunkettle is starting soon.
    I can also never see them try to funnel more traffic down the N27. Traffic backs up worse on the N27 compared to the N8 in the mornings and doing this is only adding further traffic to the Kinsale Roundabout and the N40 which are both creaking.

Agreed on the last sentence but at this stage I'm not sure what can be done without large scale investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

The Tivoli railway station should re-open at a minimum. There's talk of a park-and-ride at Dunkettle and I believe from the drawings I've seen that this is to the North-East of the new Tunnel Interchange.

There's also a plan for a greenway-style route from Little Island through to the container terminal partly using the existing causeway.

My suggestions based on the above:
    Create a 4-way interchange at the Dunkettle R/A with priority to the East-West corridor. Much like the existing tunnel interchange.
    Make this the primary entrance/exit to the new development.
    Move the proposed park-and-ride to the Eastern end of the existing container port, which is currently a massive car park for new cars.

Basically what I'm saying is: instead of worrying about the rail line as if it's "hemming in" the junction at the south, just build up over it and incorporate it as a major part of the design.

I'd love to see a freeflow cycle/pedestrian route incorporated from the Glanmire side through such an interchange, linking up with the greenway. Design it wide and tall enough to incorporate future rail towards Glanmire. That one would be a very significant challenge: probably not in my lifetime.

I think the park and ride should be east of the Dunkettle interchange. Keep cars out of Tivoli. Only addding to the traffic.

I think the park and ride should be east of the Dunkettle interchange. Keep cars out of Tivoli. Only addding to the traffic.

It's very close to Little Island though: would it not make more sense to just scale up Little Island station?

Edit: there's nothing then between the east of the Dunkettle interchange and town.

It's very close to Little Island though: would it not make more sense to just scale up Little Island station?

Edit: there's nothing then between the east of the Dunkettle interchange and town.

Have a new station in Tivoli to serve the new residential developments but don’t have a Park and Ride there IMO.

There’s a large train yard by the Dunkettle Interchange which is a better location.

• Advertisement

Have a new station in Tivoli to serve the new residential developments but don’t have a Park and Ride there IMO.

There’s a large train yard by the Dunkettle Interchange which is a better location.

I'm not sure that train yard is earmarked for the park and ride. Have a glance at this drawing of the junction (Jun 2017).
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2018-01/32107200-CYC-P8-002%20Rev1%20A1.pdf
    The drawing shows something to the NW of the freight depot.

The freight depot about 1km from Little Island train station at their nearest points too. I can't see Iarnród Éireann building a new station there, it couldn't be cost effective?

Perhaps we're derailing the discussion here a little with talk of the Park and Ride. More importantly, back on point, the Dunkettle Roundabout needs to be upgraded. You can see from the above drawing how they're signallising it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I don't know if it has been mentioned here but I see on CCC website that they currently have an open consultation on Little Island Traffic and Transport Plan.

Long term, the rail line between Little Island station and SS should have four stations (LI, Dunkettle P&R, Tivoli East and Tivoli West) in that 5km stretch in a DART style service.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Long term, the rail line between Little Island station and SS should have four stations (LI, Dunkettle P&R, Tivoli East and Tivoli West) in that 5km stretch in a DART style service.

Do you mind telling us: where did you get this from?
    I've been engaging with them on the Little Island Transportation Study, but didn't see this one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've been engaging with them on the Little Island Transportation Study, but didn't see this one.
    He's saying they *should*, not that they will.

spacetweek wrote: »
    He's saying they *should*, not that they will.

Sorry, I read it wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

As mentioned above, I said should. I am talking long term but with the potential of Tivoli for housing people and the length of train line running along side it, I wouldn't be limiting it to a single train station.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    As mentioned above, I said should. I am talking long term but with the potential of Tivoli for housing people and the length of train line running along side it, I wouldn't be limiting it to a single train station.
    I'm in the same frame of mind myself. One station there isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Anyone else find the traffic gone worse here in recent months? I'm leaving home at the same time but getting into work later and later each morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

VMS seems to have been off air for the last week....any reason for this?

Advertisement