Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements are unnecessary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Transform wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2009/0421/1224245063669.html

Had to post this - yesterdays irish times.

I personally could not do what i do without supplements and know i feel and train better on them than off

Out of curiosity, what supplements do you take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I find the irish times produces an awful lot of tripe these days.

Sometimes they just pick a popular topic to sell newspapers and then print a 3 page article, 3/4's of it pictures and graphs based on no backing up of points or indeed missing the point altogether and written poorly.

They do dissapoint me sometimes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Effluo wrote: »
    I find the irish times produces an awful lot of tripe these days.

Sometimes they just pick a popular topic to sell newspapers and then print a 3 page article, 3/4's of it pictures and graphs based on no backing up of points or indeed missing the point altogether and written poorly.

They do dissapoint me sometimes...

You're thinking of the indo... :D

There's absoultely no-where in the Irish press to get reliable reporting that hasn't been skewed by personal agendas and mis-interpretation of data. The SBP is about the most reliable I suppose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I personally could not do what i do without supplements and know i feel and train better on them than off
    A good article. What it does not mention is players with specific weight requirements. For example a corner forward may have a natural weight of 80kgs and that being around his optimal weight to play in that position. But what about a kid who is tall with ambitions to play at 7 in Rugby? He needs to be about 100kgs. Can he do that with food? Of course, if he can if he prepares his meals in advance etc. etc. but he probably also goes to college, does a bar job at the weekends and then does his training so if he wants to maybe one day get paid for the privelege of playing he'll have to keep that weight up with shakes.

That being said, proper nutrition is 100% the most neglected item for pretty much everyone, be they athletes or just gym rats. Someone will spend hours on the interweb researching and going through endless product stats of various shakes and formulas to find the perfect one but none of them could tell you what they eat before training, or after training, or how many calories they consume per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Most of what's brought up in that article mirrors the advice often given on this board, ie. for most people getting the diet sorted is key.

There is way too much hype on supplements, everyone knows that. A mate of mine was having a couple of takeaways a week and loads of other crap, meanwhile he spent a few hundred quid on protein and other supplements which was basically the same as paying for expensive bowel movements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

amacachi wrote: »
    Most of what's brought up in that article mirrors the advice often given on this board, ie. for most people getting the diet sorted is key.

There is way too much hype on supplements, everyone knows that. A mate of mine was having a couple of takeaways a week and loads of other crap, meanwhile he spent a few hundred quid on protein and other supplements which was basically the same as paying for expensive bowel movements.

just coz your eating **** doesn't mean you should punish yourself by not getting enough protein in....... that would be pretty stupid TBH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

I was mildly amused by their idea of a "huge" daily calorie intake :p

"Gavin has a huge calorie intake on training days. He has cereal for breakfast, a ham and cheese roll at lunchtime and then a pasta dish at about 4pm. The players are provided with a hot dinner after training, usually curry or lasagne at about 8pm."

just coz your eating **** doesn't mean you should punish yourself by not getting enough protein in....... that would be pretty stupid TBH!!

He was getting easily enough protein for the amount of exercise he was doing tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

“Every sport is different too – the advice that is relevant for rugby training won’t be relevant for GAA. You see a lot of recommendations around protein supplements but, in my opinion, men playing an intermittent sport like football are getting enough dietary protein if they are eating meat, fish, eggs and dairy.”
    Whey protein IS dairy...

It is also an ingredient in many off the shelf foods now.

To me if you are supplementing your diet it means something you would not ordinarily eat if you were not training. Many have to "supplement" their diet with extra meat etc. To me whey should not be included as it is just a refined protein from dairy, just like grape juice is refined carbohydrate from fruit. I would call creatine a supplement even though it is in meat I would not say that I "eat" it. I enjoy whey shakes at any time I would still buy it if I gave up training.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

I am naturally a small eater so without supplements I would struggle to get in the neccesary requirement! When taken with a good training routine you should certainly see improved results than if you were to go the natural route! Not only that put you would save yourself a fortune.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    He was getting easily enough protein for the amount of exercise he was doing tho.

You didn't say that!

maxxie wrote: »
    I am naturally a small eater so without supplements I would struggle to get in the neccesary requirement!
    What is a "naturally small eater".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

telemachus wrote: »
    I was mildly amused by their idea of a "huge" daily calorie intake :p

"Gavin has a huge calorie intake on training days. He has cereal for breakfast, a ham and cheese roll at lunchtime and then a pasta dish at about 4pm. The players are provided with a hot dinner after training, usually curry or lasagne at about 8pm."

I've become so detached from normal people we tend to just stare at eachother in restaurants now. I can't get over how little some of my friends eat. A bowl of soup for lunch....kill me now! We get crappy subsidised lunches in work and some people go on about how it's great to have a dinner in the middle of the day so you can just have toast later on. WTF? I'm usually eyeing up leftovers on their plates by this stage. If I was forced to live with these people I think i'd end up eating them.

Buffets in particular cause quite the discussion.

Roper wrote: »

He's a titmouse...

kevpants banned for personal abuse.

You didn't say that!

Sorry?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Roper wrote: »
    Some people simply do not like eating. There are lots out there, there was a thread before, I think a user called Wibbs said he could go days without eating.

I have 2 skinny mates who do not appear to enjoy eating, they attack food when they get it, never savour it. One lad downs peanuts by the fistful, I never have heard either of them comment on food tasting nice or anything. They also sometimes just pick at it, leaving loads behind and only eating stuff they can barely stand. Some see eating as a chore, like having to go to a petrol station and fill the car.

I on the other hand am a glutton!:pac::pac: and get to finish all the stuff they don't

funny guy kevpants :rolleyes:

My point is that if you're serious about training then you overcome things like "I'm a small eater" or "I like burgers" and you regulate your diet to match your goals.

There are many, many more benefits that food has over supplements. We're not just talking about calories here. Some examples are nutrients, fibre, TASTE!, to make supplements pallatable they have to include a sweetener which is usualy artificial, and then there's the pure enjoyment of sitting down to a meal with your loved ones to argue over who did or did not forget to put a tag on the bin this morning when clearly it couldn't have been me because I was first out and the shops weren't open at 5.30am this morning and I know you had to drop the kid off but couldn't you have got it on your way?

Food is better. When you have that sorted, start to supplement if you need to. But you probably don't need to.

funny guy kevpants :rolleyes:

Those rolleyes cut me. They cut me deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Didn't even read past the opening sentence. The Irish media's opinions on supplements matter very little to me.

kevpants wrote: »
    Those rolleyes cut me. They cut me deep.

haha good! shame there is no fcuk you smilie or your a fool smilie...

:D:D \o/ there a ura **** smiley??

haha good! shame there is no your a fool smilie...

Or a "Yuo catn spel smillei"

kevpants wrote: »
    Or a "Yuo catn spel smillei"

That is just ridiculous kevinpants!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

That is just ridiculous kevinpants!
    LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

of course i you can do everything supplements do with 'real food' because the supplements are just a different type of food be it a concentrated form(not talking about creatine i dont know enough about it)

the point is they are convenient relatively cheap if you shop around and as far as i am concerned no worse than 'real food'.

now if someone can show me research to the contrary my opinion will change but i dont think your body knows if its getting its omega 3 from a fish or a capsule or its dairy protein from whey or milk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Had to laugh at your man with the high calorie intake on training days. I'd have that amount of calories consumed by midday!
    The article just proves how far behind Ireland is with supplements. Even things like banning no-xplode but it's available in the UK & USA. Funny how you hear the Irish Experts saying it is dangerous for your heart and other organs yet a new fast food joint opens up every week :rolleyes:
    Food is essential but a highly trained individual needs supplements, no ifs are buts about it. Like Transform said you feel better with supplements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

im waiting for the day when some pro strength/bodybuilding athlete has an ad in a magazine/website with 'Sponsored by O' Gradys Butchers'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

im waiting for the day when some pro strength/bodybuilding athlete has an ad in a magazine/website with 'Sponsored by O' Gradys Butchers'

On a local level that would be a very good idea!

Advertisement