Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats good at towing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

EPM wrote: »

http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp#tab1
    According to the website I linked the Volvo V70 range is limited to 1800 max, at 85% of vehicle weight rule is worse (lower limit) than all 3 series diesels listed and well worse than the 5 series and A6 class..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

Get yourself a short wheel base pajero commercial. You should have no problems getting comercial insurance if you have a full licence and they're everywhere.
    If your towing I find that a 4x4 cant be beaten at all, when you have a long heavy trailer your chances of getting caught in mud or the ditch increase and a 2wd van with road tyres wont get you out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I had an 02 Subaru Forester and towed plenty and chose it as it won tow car of the year many times . From memory the 2.0 non turbo could tow up to 1500 Kg braked and the 2.0 Turbo 1800 Kg braked .

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

thanks for the input,

the suggestions on certain cars were just what i was looking for,
    so now i have a few other to add to my list,

but gain a 2 seater is no good but i will look into the pick ups, espiecily with €50 vrt(was last time i checked)

but if it means anything
    the trailer is a ivor williams box trailer(twin axle) 750kg empty
    2 motocross bikes 10kg each
    250 - 300 litres of water=300kg
    tool box, pressure washer, gear, parts, cannapey, petrol(30l full)=100kg?

so i'd say 1350ish kg, but i would like the option to carry extra water and a bike+gear,

but if there is anything else you can think off that in not a commerical jeep that has not been listed please post a comment on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Toyota Landcruiser Prado? Or Amazon? A lot of these around crew cabbed with commercial tax and 5 seats.

A lot of them are on the same chassis as a Hilux Surf, the unladen weight of which is 1800kg (commercial). Also, a lot of them will be automatic.

Don't expect good mileage, though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I have towed well in excess of 2000kgs with saloon cars, not in recent years but I have done it, & never had any problems,

To be be legally covered by insurance however in to day's world , the total weight of trailer & load must not exceed a certain limit.

This is usually well under the car's capabilities, e.g. for Citroen C5 Dsl which I would class as an excellent towing vehicle, the limit I think is about 1550kgs for a twin axle trailer with brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

db330 wrote: »
    but gain a 2 seater is no good but i will look into the pick ups, espiecily with €50 vrt(was last time i checked)

Twin cab will be 13.5% of OMSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

Guys, towing isn't the real problem. A mini would pull a ton. Stopping is the problem, esp. at motorway speeds. For that reason alone you should not really be using a short wheel base vehicle, unless you want your load to end up towing you.
    Also there are very strict limits on carrying petrol and it includes what is in the tank of the bikes.

Get an old Transit and with the money left over from not buying 3.0 BMW, buy a smaller town car

ye i better take your advice then,
    so i will look a vans/ pick up/ jeep now then as an alturnitive,

but would you have any advice on getting insurance on 2 veichels for a 19 yr old, my dad said he would go on a policy but i would like to be independent and also start build no claims bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

op just one question. what are all the other motocross guys pulling there trailers with surely if any of those are pulling with a car then that car would work for you.

dutchcat wrote: »
    is the trailer single axel or twin [4 wheel] if so you will need a 4x4 to tow it regardless of weight its the LAW

Thats rubbish, I have seen it on another thread today as well. The car trailers that nearly every farmer in the country have are twin axle, most are pulled by cars and never have I heard of this rule. Also I would say 95% (including me and a large number of people I know) pull trailers on their normal car license and again I would think no one was ever questioned about it.

rocknchef wrote: »
    op just one question. what are all the other motocross guys pulling there trailers with surely if any of those are pulling with a car then that car would work for you.

most have vans and just throw the bikes in the back, but van insurance was really expensive 4300, while the 330d was 2600, both fully comp, but someone said something about the petrol so i will get another quote and not mention the bikes,

but some tow with 4x4's and then some use saloon cars(A4 quattro, skoda octavia tdi) but i was just looking for opinions to see if there were any cars that would do the job

sorry what is osmp?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

This any good to ya??

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=96247&cat=500

SWB pajero, Commercial tax, 4 seats, tested for two years last week, taxed til end sept, serviced and just under 60,000miles in immaculate condition.

I had it down for 6k but I'm open to offers ;)

PS. would pull for Ireland, its the second one I've had and they are seriously good for towing. This one has only pulled a small trailer twice and has no clutch to worry about either...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

db330 wrote: »
    sorry what is osmp?

Id imagine its meant to be omsp reffering to "open market selling price"

Advertisement