Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats good at towing

Options
  • 21-04-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I need a cheap enough car (under €5000) that can tow a box trailer that weighs between 1300kg and 1800kg

i will be doing alot of motor wa driving on weekends with the trailer,
    and then driving through the centre of dublin during the week,

also i need something that is good on fuel as i'm still a student.

i was thinking about a bmw 330d or audi A4 2.5 V6 Tdi,

also would a 1.9tdi tow that weight, or what would i need someting bigger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 68coupe

Heya. Might sound a little strange, but if you're gonna do a LOT of towing maybe you should consider getting something like a jeep, a short wheelbase one maybe? But my main point is that I would recommend that you go for an automatic gearbox. With a LOT of towing, you will inevitably end up seriously testing your clutch. The auto box would probably make life easier.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You would need a jeep or a van for that weight.

Jeeps i can comment on are the landrover defender, and discovery. Both of them could pull the back end off a house.

The defender can comfortably tow 2.5 tonnes easily, in fact you can tow up to 3.5t.

Vans you have the ever reliable transit.

A skoda octavia has a limit of 1500kg, i'd presume the a4 is much the same. Towing often at the limit is not a good idea. The engine will be under constant strain, the gearing is not designed for towing and you will get awful mpg.

Meanwhile you will still get 30+mpg on a defender or a transit. And decent examples can be bought for under 5k. The defenders hold their value really well also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

db330 wrote: »
    I need a cheap enough car (under €5000) that can tow a box trailer that weighs between 1300kg and 1800kg

Forget about the 330d for under 5k, and not the car you want for towing either. You need a longer wheelbase with weight also. Passat would be better. 1.9 TDI should be fine. Don't get me wrong, powerful car the 330d but for 5k your market will be limited, Peugeot 406 Hdi, Toyota Avensis D4D, or something of a similar size for towing a trailer. Otherwise you are in jeep territory for heavier loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Seeing as you're a student it's probably safe to assume that you have a normal B car licence rather than an E+B licence? You cannot legally tow an 1800 kg max laden weight trailer with a B licence. There are several conditions that need to be adhered to and no matter what tow car you choose, you'll be in breach of at least one of them.

Then again the rules for towing are widely ignored and the Gardai don't seem sure of the law either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Forget towing 1.3-1.8t with a car, Cars are not designed to do that on a regular basis, you need a Jeep or a Van, not a car van but a proper Transit type.
    The clutches on Jeeps are much larger than cars to cope with increased loads.
    Autoboxes can be good, but are expensive to repair if anything goes wrong.
    I don't think you are going to be able to tick all your boxes with one vehicle.

Economical.
    Able to tow 1.8t
    Good for city and motorway.
    The first two are kiind of mutually exclusive IMO.
    Sounds like a SWB landcruiser would be a good bet but you won't get much more than 30mpg out of it and less with a slushbox tranny.
    You can pick up early KZJ90/95's for around 5k but you would want to check them over well before purchase to make sure that everything is OK, work on 4x4's is seldom cheap due to the additional parts in the drivetrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭db330

i was pointing towards the car for tax reasons, as the 330d is 430 or 600 per year while the landcruiser is 2000, so really a car is my only affordable way,

the 330d can be got from the uk for under 5000, no vrt, so this was o.1 on my list but is there anything else that i should consider, also need 4 seats, which eliminates the vans and commericals jeeps.

about the limits i'm not to worried about the law on weight as i doubt the gardes weigh cars and trailers,
    and yes you were right about my licence,

so far i'm considering these
    330d, 320d / 5 series
    A4 2.5TDI, 1.9TDI
    mondeo 2.0
    accord 2.2
    saab 9 3 2.2tid

i'm also looking for a nice lookin car and nothing to old out,

so if you have any input on these cars or would recommend something else.

the trailer would normally be 1.35 tones but i wouldlike to be able to have the opption to put 1.8 t in it

and also i cannot get decemt insurence on a van due to my age (19)
    (4300 on a Vito with motorbikes in the back)
    and yes before anyone says i have checked the rest out and it alot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,203 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

i was pointing towards the car for tax reasons, as the 330d is 430 or 600 per year while the landcruiser is 2000, so really a car is my only affordable way,

the 330d can be got from the uk for under 5000, no vrt, so this was o.1 on my list but is there anything else that i should consider, also need 4 seats, which eliminates the vans and commericals jeeps.

about the limits i'm not to worried about the law on weight as i doubt the gardes weigh cars and trailers,

so far i'm considering these
    330d, 320d / 5 series
    A4 2.5TDI, 1.9TDI
    mondeo 2.0
    accord 2.2
    saab 9 3 2.2tid

i'm also looking for a nice lookin car and nothing to old out of these,

so if you have any input on these cars or would recommend something else.

A pre 2008 3.0 litre engined car costs around €1600 to tax per year not €430 or €600 and what do you mean by no VRT. You have to VRT it once you get it landed here.

the trailer would normally be 1.35 tones but i wouldlike to be able to have the opption to put 1.8 t in it

and also i cannot get decemt insurence on a van due to my age (19)
    (4300 on a Vito with motorbikes in the back)
    and yes before anyone says i have checked the rest out and it alot cheaper.

At 19 your insurance quotes are not going to be much cheaper on the majority of cars on your earlier list.

• Advertisement

accoring to the revenue web site produces 177g/km which is €600
    and i will try to reg it in a friends name from antrim

accoring to the revenue web site produces 177g/km which is €600
    and i will try to reg it in a friends name from antrim

Cars older than 2008 are taxed on their engine size not Co2 output. Also Revenue are clamping down big time on VRT dodging so don't think you will get away with that either. Check out the threads here on the subject. If it was this easy we would all be doing it.

26;Cars older than 2008 are taxed on their engine size not Co2 output.

:eek:aww i didn't know that thanks, i would have bought a car based on the co2 emmissions thanks again
    Also Revenue are clamping down big time on VRT dodging so don't think you will get away with that either. Check out the threads here on the subject. If it was this easy we would all be doing it.
    i know but there has to be ways around it and we just have to figure them out:P

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

is the trailer single axel or twin [4 wheel] if so you will need a 4x4 to tow it regardless of weight its the LAW ,most single axel trailers are 1 ton max

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

i know but there has to be ways around it and we just have to figure them out:P

My crystal ball sees you at the side of the road looking at the backside of a car transporter carrying your car away to the pound:D
    Seriously, have you read any of the threads on here about the revenue?
    Any dodge you can think up they will have already seen.

its a twin axle

but this post is not about vrt, but i will sort it out, most likely by paying but i will avoid if i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

You'll be laughed out the door by the insurance companies with a 330d. Not a hope will you have of insuring it. Tax is massive too.
    You should look into an L200 or something like that. Forget a car for towing that kind of weight. You'll make pure sh!t of it within 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Seeing as you're a student it's probably safe to assume that you have a normal B car licence rather than an E+B licence? You cannot legally tow an 1800 kg max laden weight trailer with a B licence. There are several conditions that need to be adhered to and no matter what tow car you choose, you'll be in breach of at least one of them.

Then again the rules for towing are widely ignored and the Gardai don't seem sure of the law either.

Firsty we dont ignore this, anymore anyway. It is now becoming more and more enforced.
    dutchcat wrote: »
    is the trailer single axel or twin [4 wheel] if so you will need a 4x4 to tow it regardless of weight its the LAW ,most single axel trailers are 1 ton max

Spot on and you need the trailer to have itss own brakes.

*OP beware that the DPP have a request into the high court to clarify about trailers and weight. Lets say your vehicle weighs 2 tonnes. And your trailer with whatever in it weighs 2.5 tonnes. Your total weight is 4.5 tonnes. Your EB licence covers you ONLY for vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes. You are now going into goods vehicles catagory of EC licence. If you think about it, it is logical. If this wasnt the case everyone could have a 3.4 tonne vehicle pulling any size or weight trailer*

Also in relation to VRT just because its not in your name doesnt mean customs wont take it, or us in fact.

Hope this helps, and i'll update in future with regard to the licence issue, but at present AGS is prosecuting for no licence if the incident like above occurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

If I were you I'd look in to getting a Ford Ranger crew-cab diesel from the UK.

The cars are cheap, have a good pulling ability, 5 seats, flat bed. They are never going to win any awards for style but will fit your bill.

The VRT is at a commercial rate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gtec

Spot on and you need the trailer to have itss own brakes.

Can someone point me to a piece of Irish Legislation that specifies that I must use a 4x4 to tow a twin axle trailer?

The only legislation I have ever seen concerns to kerb weight of the towing vehicle, nowhere have I seen mention of the number of driven wheels.

I spent a long time looking at this when I was looking to buy a trailer recently and have seem many mentions of this 4x4 requirement on many boards, It's just that I can't belive that, let's say, a suzuki Vitara is legally allowed tow an 8x4 builders trailer full of sand and a big saloon car (like a 7-series) is not!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Its not the 4x4, its the weight of the trailer and what the vehicle is rated to tow. Mostly 2 axel trailers are too heavy for standard cars where as 4x4s have a bigger rating.
    So from that there is no legisation that states that 4x4 are required, its just operational requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

best to forget about the car with that weight it will use more fuel than an 4x4. would look into a commercial pajero or landcruiser. I was only 20 wen i got a 4x4, tax is under 300 and my insurance was something like 1400 if you buy any of the cars on your list it will be more likely to be 2000+ for your insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

dutchcat wrote: »

Hi could you let me know your source for this law that states that about the twin axel and 4X4? i am not doubting you as i have heard this several times but cannot find the law myself and i was just wondering about the wording etc. Thanks

i wouldnt tow a 1,800 kg trailer with a car, it would be just too much for it and at that weight it would be heavier than the unladen (kerb) weight of the vehicle too so you would need an EB licence.

The information on the citizens information site is a bit misleading and seems to suggest you cant tow on a b licence at all. i think the correct information is:

Trailers
    Cars and trailers

If you hold a Full category B licence, you may tow a trailer only if:

* the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is 750kg or less, or
    * the unladen (empty) weight of your towing vehicle is at least the same as the trailer's design gross vehicle weight, and the combined design gross vehicle weight of the vehicle and trailer is no more than 3,500kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Can someone point me to a piece of Irish Legislation that specifies that I must use a 4x4 to tow a twin axle trailer?

The only legislation I have ever seen concerns to kerb weight of the towing vehicle, nowhere have I seen mention of the number of driven wheels.

I spent a long time looking at this when I was looking to buy a trailer recently and have seem many mentions of this 4x4 requirement on many boards, It's just that I can't belive that, let's say, a suzuki Vitara is legally allowed tow an 8x4 builders trailer full of sand and a big saloon car (like a 7-series) is not!
    You are correct - the number of axles on the trailer is irrelevant and bears little relationship to the weight of the trailer. I know of lots of twin axle trailers which weigh around 250 kg empty and 750 kg fully laden. And I was once looking at getting a single axle car transporter which was fair deal heavier than the above twin axles and was rated to take a 900 kg car.

Even a triple axle Ifor Williams is not that heavy unladen and could be towed by a lot of medium sized large cars if it was loaded well below its max capacity. They have very high design gross vehicle weight which is the figure that matters for licences so not a chance of towing one of these with a B licence.

A B licence covers you to tow a combination of up to 3.5 tonnes d.g.v.w and the kerb weight of the towing vehicle must be more than the d.g.v.w of the trailer. An EB licence allows you to exceed the 3.5 tonne limit and the rule about kerb weight does not apply. The towing vehicle must be in category B obviously. These rules are standard across the EU. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

what I dont get is why do people come here looking for advice and then when given good advice not take any notice to it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

BrianD3 wrote: »
    You are correct - the number of axles on the trailer is irrelevant and bears little relationship to the weight of the trailer. I know of lots of twin axle trailers which weigh around 250 kg empty and 750 kg fully laden. And I was once looking at getting a single axle car transporter which was fair deal heavier than the above twin axles and was rated to take a 900 kg car.

Even a triple axle Ifor Williams is not that heavy unladen and could be towed by a lot of medium sized large cars if it was loaded well below its max capacity. They have very high design gross vehicle weight which is the figure that matters for licences so not a chance of towing one of these with a B licence.

A B licence covers you to tow a combination of up to 3.5 tonnes d.g.v.w and the kerb weight of the towing vehicle must be more than the d.g.v.w of the trailer. An EB licence allows you to exceed the 3.5 tonne limit and the rule about kerb weight does not apply. The towing vehicle must be in category B obviously. These rules are standard across the EU. There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Thanks, good post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Ferris

I have used a citroen xantia for towing boats (~750kg - 1T) and its a very good towcar because of the self leveling rear suspension. This stops the rear end squating and lifting the front off the ground. The C5's have the same suspension and the estates have a suspension height control button in the boot which makes hooking up the trailer easier.

I would look at a good C5 hdi 110 estate with a good service history, clutch, brakes and tyres.

Like this:
    http://www.usedcarsni.com/24468328

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Do you need 4 seats? Tax on a commercial is only 288euro for the year. If you do need 4 seats look up a crew cab, they are commercial tax also.

I wouldn't even entertain the idea of towing that load with a car, not only would it be illegal but also dangerous. I'd like to see what the braking distance would be with a weight like that behind a car. I you insist on a car though there's always a fleece of old vento's at marts with big trailers on them...could be something in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Have a look at
    http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp#tab1

Woot, our Allroad can tow 2100kgs (max, 85% "rule" around 1600kg)! Ive towed some light stuff with it myself.
    The Audis can tow heavier capacities than BMWs and from both marques there is an towing weight advantage to the estate and mid size model (A6/Allroad and 5 series) over small models. Saying that, they dont hold a candle to something like a VW V10 Touareg, which is rated max at 3.5tons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Advertisement