Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Sport?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

playing them isn't far off.

how do you stay fit and healthy then? Perhaps not competitive sports but do you hillwalk, jog, swim... etc. I tried gyms and jogging before but felt I was exercising for the sake of my health alone. Regardless of how long you live, the window in your life where you have the means, the energy and motivation to engage in physical activities is very narrow. I am not really good at anything I engage in, I can get by but I wouldn't win any competitions. I just don't want to look back when I'm 50 and think of all the energy I had in my younger years that I wasted. All of us have the fall and winters of our lives to sit and contemplate our existence. The spring and summers of our lives is for living and moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

how do you stay fit and healthy then? Perhaps not competitive sports but do you hillwalk, jog, swim... etc. I tried gyms and jogging before but felt I was exercising for the sake of my health alone. Regardless of how long you live, the window in your life where you have the means, the energy and motivation to engage in physical activities is very narrow. I am not really good at anything I engage in, I can get by but I wouldn't win any competitions. I just don't want to look back when I'm 50 and think of all the energy I had in my younger years that I wasted. All of us have the fall and winters of our lives to sit and contemplate our existence. The spring and summers of our lives is for living and moving.

I walk and dance a lot! I've also been blessed with a high rate of metabolism (used to drink between 2-4 litres of coke a day for 12 years, was never fat...gave up because I had over half the symptoms of diabetes). By sports I was referring to games, primarily competitive team sports. I like swimming, hiking and doing mild-strain physical activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Basketball
    Seems like there are quite a few martial arts practitioners here. Anyone fancy an atheistic sparring and training session? :pac:

And it seems rugby is winning the poll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Basketball
    Soccer and Boxing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Rugby
    Was raging that I missed the Arsenal/ Liverpool game last night.

:mad:

• Advertisement

Basketball
    Was raging that I missed the Arsenal/ Liverpool game last night.

:mad:

I was raging upon the final whistle.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

MMA to watch. The only sport I've ever been any good at myself is swimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

MrPudding wrote: »
    Just the players...:D

MrP

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Airsoft, the whole thing has an online community, and due to my 7 day a week, 10 hours a day of college, its the only thing I have time for. I only get to a game every month or so, so keeping up with them via boards is great, I've met plenty of people on the forum before ever meeting them at a game.

Back in the day I enjoyed soccer, urban soccer, never could play a full field after years of 2 on 2 on a very small basket ball court, then a while back did some kickboxing, but as always, no time for it.

I don't watch tv now, so can't spectate any sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Rugby
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I was raging upon the final whistle.:pac:

Hehe! Yep, that's pretty much Liverpool's chances down the crapper.

Or is it... :confused:

Yeah!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Rugby

Yeah!

Hard pressed to win it after tonights result now for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

G.A.A. Football
    Rugby and MMA for me.

Haven't played rugby in a few years but I get to any International/Provincial games I can. As for MMA, I'll hopefully make the tentative step from spectator to competitor in a few weeks. Damn, now I've gone and made myself nervous again. :D

Basketball

Yeah!
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hard pressed to win it after tonights result now for sure.

I haven't lost all hope. But my hopes are pinned on Tottenham, Man City and Arsenal doing a job against them. I'm not holding my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

G.A.A. Football
    Seems like there are quite a few martial arts practitioners here. Anyone fancy an atheistic sparring and training session?
    What MA do you do?
    As for MMA, I'll hopefully make the tentative step from spectator to competitor in a few weeks. Damn, now I've gone and made myself nervous again
    Fair play to you. It can be a bit nerve racking beforehand but its great craic once you get going. Are you competing in one of the shows or doing the MMA League?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Rugby
    2. Gaelic Football, Soccer

Thats cheating! Completely different sports. You can't ask people for three and then name four yourself. Mine Football(Soccer), F1, and Hurling. Although I am forced to endure an awful lot of Rugby, I feel I have to pretend to like it as all my friends do and I'll be outcast if they find out the truth- I hate it with a passion. We used to play British Bulldogs in school, such a dumb game that required no skill, Rugby is just Bulldogs with a funny shaped ball. But for some reason I quite like American Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Can't stand rugby, soccer or pretty much any motorsport. Am I the only one who thinks F1 and the like are just a waste of fuel? Each to his own I suppose.

As for what I do like, I'm involved in martial arts (which seems more common on this board than I would have expected) and I play handball the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Basketball
    fitz0 wrote: »
    As for what I do like, I'm involved in martial arts (which seems more common on this board than I would have expected)
    It is all part of the "Grand Atheist conspiracy (TM)" to help with the revolution where we take over and form a new world order. Seriously, did Robin not send you the handbook?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Can't stand rugby, soccer or pretty much any motorsport. Am I the only one who thinks F1 and the like are just a waste of fuel? Each to his own I suppose.

As for what I do like, I'm involved in martial arts (which seems more common on this board than I would have expected) and I play handball the odd time.

I do martial arts too... :confused:

G.A.A. Football
    I do martial arts too... :confused:

Given that quiet a few people here seem to do martial arts, I'd be interested in hearing which ones exactly people are doing. Martial arts in general are a great place to find examples of people believing weird things, not applying critical thinking and generally avoiding any sceptical analysis of what they are doing. To that one could add things such as cults of personality, group think and so on. Not all martial arts are like this of course but a lot are.
    So... what martial arts do you guys do?

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    Given that quiet a few people here seem to do martial arts, I'd be interested in hearing which ones exactly people are doing. Martial arts in general are a great place to find examples of people believing weird things, not applying critical thinking and generally avoiding any sceptical analysis of what they are doing. To that one could add things such as cults of personality, group think and so on. Not all martial arts are like this of course but a lot are.

I've done a few. At the minute I'm doing Wado-Ryu Karate but in the past I've done Shotokan, Kyushu-jitsu and Tukido.

Kyushu is one of the ones you are referring to as weird. It focuses on pressure points and theres quite a bit about chi in it. While doing it I was very sceptical about chi but I never got high enough to practice any of the chi related exercises.

Dammit I didn't get the handbook! What am I supposed to do when the glorious day of our insurrection comes?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm surprised nobody's into fencing...

G.A.A. Football
    Fair play to you. It can be a bit nerve racking beforehand but its great craic once you get going. Are you competing in one of the shows or doing the MMA League?

Just the league Tim, probably not nearly ready for it but it gives me something to train for. The nearest I've gotten to featuring in a show is sitting in the front row with a beer.:D

robindch wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody's into fencing...
    Never saw a way of getting into it since there's no club near me at home and Im not sure if DIT have a club. It looks quite hard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

G.A.A. Football
    1/ Athletics (running)
    2/ Football (association)
    3/ Rugby
    4/ Cycling

G.A.A. Football

A mate and I once went to a jiu-jitsu class we had seen advertised. To us, that meant the same MA that the Gracies or Demian Maia practised. Turned out to be more Ainu than armbar.

For instance, when taking a sip of water, one was advised to first offer it to the gods. This meant taking a small bow while presenting your bottle towards where the deities resided. For reasons unknown, the home of the gods was somewhere in the vicinity of the basketball net in the gym we were using.

I was reprimanded for having my hands up guarding my face because "that's what a boxer would do". It was apparently more pertinent to guard the solar plexis from a sword thrust. :rolleyes:

Someone who's posted on the MMA forum (Dave Jones maybe?) sums this up in his sig- 'Martial Darwinism: if it doesn't work, why are you still practising it?".

G.A.A. Football
    Just the league Tim, probably not nearly ready for it but it gives me something to train for. The nearest I've gotten to featuring in a show is sitting in the front row with a beer.:D

Lol, there are worse places to be! Best of luck with the league anyway. If I'm there I'll be ref'ing a share of the fights, that name of yours is fairly distinctive, I'll keep an eye out. ;)

G.A.A. Football
    For instance, when taking a sip of water, one was advised to first offer it to the gods. This meant taking a small bow while presenting your bottle towards where the deities resided. For reasons unknown, the home of the gods was somewhere in the vicinity of the basketball net in the gym we were using.
    That's a new one on me I have to say. Being a god probably is thirsty work in fairness I suppose, gotta try and help those guys out. :pac:
    Someone who's posted on the MMA forum (Dave Jones maybe?) sums this up in his sig- 'Martial Darwinism: if it doesn't work, why are you still practising it?".
    That's Dave's sig alright. Generally people are so wrapped up in the MA they are doing that do not question it in the slightest that the thought 'does this actually work' just doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I've done a few. At the minute I'm doing Wado-Ryu Karate but in the past I've done Shotokan, Kyushu-jitsu and Tukido.

Kyushu is one of the ones you are referring to as weird. It focuses on pressure points and theres quite a bit about chi in it. While doing it I was very sceptical about chi but I never got high enough to practice any of the chi related exercises.

Dammit I didn't get the handbook! What am I supposed to do when the glorious day of our insurrection comes?:eek:

I do jujitsu which is the opposite it seems to Tyler MacDurden's experience of jujitsu. It's all about practical useful techniques designed to keep you out of trouble first and then how to slog it out if it comes to it.

G.A.A. Football
    I do jujitsu which is the opposite it seems to Tyler MacDurden's experience of jujitsu. It's all about practical useful techniques designed to keep you out of trouble first and then how to slog it out if it comes to it.

Oh I do proper jitz too now, have gotten over my brush with the shinto-ninjas. :D

Just remembering now that over half that class was devoted to bowing ceremonies, and the various categories thereof. If I should ever meet the Emperor, he shall be thoroughly impressed with the grace and precision of my prostrations.

• Advertisement

G.A.A. Football

What type of Jujitsu? What percent of the training time is spent practising what you do against a resisting opponent and actually sparring?

Advertisement