Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Breaking Red Traffic Light

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Alun wrote: »
    Where did I (or anyone else) ever say this wasn't acceptable?
    I was referring, not to what is said here, but to what actually happens on the road, every day, at every traffic light junction, where so many drivers fail (with no good reason) to stop on amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Dave147 wrote: »
    1. Do you think he's left me off perhaps due to the misfortune of a non existent pedestrian? ;)

2. Are there points for breaking a red light?

1. Unfortunately sometimes it takes a good few weeks for the ticket to arrive and if the Garda said you'd get an €80 fine it's likely that you will. But live in hope.

2. Sometimes Guards get it wrong. I was told to expect points for driving in a bus lane but it turned out it was just an €80 fine.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

Failure to obey traffic lights: 2 points.:(

I hope I've made a mistake here but it looks like there is. However, the Guard may have taken your circumstances, as you explained, into consideration and might have done you for something different. (Such as Failure to obey traffic direction given by Gardaí - which isn't what happened but comes with no penalty points.)

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/accidents-gardai-and-penalties/penalty-points-fixed-charge-offences/index.html

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

highdef wrote: »
    I wonder if he'd have behaved the same if there had been a guard about!

I doubt it very much. I've witnessed first hand people shouting and getting very aggressive only to cower and apologise when the person they're shouting at shows them a Garda badge. "I'm sorry, I'm not usually like this. I just got a bit wound up..." etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gnxx

Just to cheer you up a bit, about three years ago, I was at that very junction waiting for the lights to change.

I pulled forward on the green light .. and two cars went through the red light ... one of the feckers gave me a hand gesture and beeped the horn.

There was a garda behind me on a motorbike that took off after them :) He had pulled both over just before Christchurch.
    McSpud wrote: »
    I feel this has been getting gradually worse over the years in Dublin. I find it very noticable it I go through on amber & then see 3-4 cars follow me through. Everyone might be on the edge of amber/red from time to time but some drivers seem to see red as the new amber i.e. accelerate when see red.

Coming out of a side lane onto Clanbrassil street (by FastFit) yesterday & I usually delay for a second or two as cars always breaking that light. I paused yesterday only for bicycle to wander through just as I moved. If I hadn't paused he would have been over my bonnet. Chances are I would be blamed due to no fault of my own. :(

Any one seen a serious accident caused by going through red light?

Advertisement