Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Opposition to gay marriage' cost contestant Miss USA title

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

0ubliette wrote: »
    Shes just as entitled to say she doesnt support gay marriage as anyone else is entitled to say they do support it. And if she lost because she doesnt support it thats discrimination in itself, essentially saying 'you need to be in line with this specific point of view or you wont win'.

B-b-but it's a pageant. It's kind of discriminative in nature. There are lots of boxes you need to tick or you won't win.

It judges people on their views in general, like their political views, blah blah. Are you saying that these questions are redundant? Pageant must be judged. Why not on the basis of "is she a bigot or not?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

She shouldn't have lost because of what she said. It's another from of censorship. But what is the point of asking questions like this. Is it the way they articulate themselves or do they need to conform to a socially accpetable viewpoint.

Perez Hilton is a complete cnut. If anything, he has done more to "alienate" millions of gay people because of his trash talking bitchiness. I didn't see her reffering to anyone in a negative/abusive way. he made his money/"fame" mocking people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

B-b-but it's a pageant. It's kind of discriminative in nature. There are lots of boxes you need to tick or you won't win.

It judges people on their views in general, like their political views, blah blah. Are you saying that these questions are redundant? Pageant must be judged. Why not on the basis of "is she a bigot or not?"

this is it, everyone else is missing the point.

It's a popularity contest, not a debating competition. All the bleating about free speech is nonsense: no one clapped her in jail for expressing her opinion, they just didn't like her enough to elect her Miss USA.

On the one hand - fair play to her for expressing her opinion. On the other hand, if she really wanted to win, she should have said what she was told to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bet that when little Perez Hilton was at school, not a day went by that he didn't have to travel in the back of an ambulance to get his multiple injuries sorted - after being bounced round the play-ground by the red-necks.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I bet that when little Perez Hilton was at school, not a day went by that he didn't have to travel in the back of an ambulance to get his multiple injuries sorted - after being bounced round the play-ground by the red-necks.:pac:

what has that got to do with this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Eh....who here actually gives a flying fuck about "beauty" pagents?
    Come on, raise a hand if you do

<_<
    >_>

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

<_<
    >_>

After watching "Little Miss Sunshine", I think it's safe to say that I no longer have any possible lingering positivity towards beauty pageants, in any of their forms.

cotwold wrote: »
    what has that got to do with this

Completely and absolutely nothing whatsoever in the slightest - at all. :P Don't mind me, I'm rambling.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Sabre0001 wrote: »

Haha, look at the face on the fat douchebag at the end. It's like "No no no, you won't won't win our super-dooper-important contest now".

Slightly ironic that he's made a career out of outing homo's when he doesn't even feel the need to use his own real name in public. Where is the line drawn between what is and what is not acceptable wrt to the veracity of a persona presented in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Regardless of what the question was she would have been judged on it. Thats why they ask them questions. The question could have been "What do you wish for most?" Her answer could have been "An end to poverty." The judges might then knock her down a few marks because she didn't say something like "World peace."

Mountain out of a molehill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Hilton said he had been "floored" by Ms Prejean's answer, which, he said, "alienated millions of gay and lesbian Americans, their families and their supporters"
    OK
    So if she says sorry then those millions will be able to re-integrate into society once more ?

TBH it's just another symptom of some peoples desire to be offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Perez Hilton is a vile man, whereas she is just a dumbass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

"Hilton said he had been "floored" by Ms Prejean's answer, which, he said, "alienated millions of gay and lesbian Americans, their families and their supporters"."

I think that Perez Hilton (a prize obnoxious twat whichever side he bats for), made the stupid comment. She alienated fewer people than she would have done by not giving the answer that he would have preferred.

Thanks for this quote. It seems that honesty is discouraged in this case. Actually if it went the other way around would the argument that she "alienated millions of conservative and religious Americans their families and their supporters" be tolerated?

I'm not saying that this is a reasonable argument either. I think that a beauty pageant however, should be just that, a beauty pageant, not a quiz on ideologies. Apparently she got the wrong answer :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jakkass wrote: »
    I think that a beauty pageant however, should be just that, a beauty pageant, not a quiz on ideologies. Apparently she got the wrong answer :rolleyes:

WHat, you mean you don't judge women on their beautiful personalities?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

An File wrote: »
    WHat, you mean you don't judge women on their beautiful personalities?! :eek:

An opinion concerning gay marriage has nothing to do with ones personality. It's clear that they weren't interested in her personality, but rather they were seeking to catch someone out so as to make a big deal out of it, which apparently they have done.

An opinion concerning gay marriage has nothing to do with ones personality. It's clear that they weren't interested in her personality, but rather they were seeking to catch someone out so as to make a big deal out of it, which apparently they have done.

Indeed. I made a slightly cruder attempt at expressing the same sentiment 75 posts ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

First of all, lol @ religion

I say good for her for saying what she believes, she didn't actually say she'd fight gay marriage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

What about incestous adult marriage? A father and adult daughter for example. They're consenting adults aren't they? Or what about straight same-sex platonic friends who wish to "commit"? Or is that beyond the boundaries of whatever modern moral fashion that academia and the media have convinced you to believe?

Didn't the Abraham have a funny marriage.
    Hilton is a plonker of extreme proportions, good job he didn't ask about shell fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Its a beauty pagent. Americans seem to love them. To do well in one you need to get a lot of things right. She got the looks, the dress, the make-up the walk, the smile the being nice etc right, and then got the last bit wrong. (the dont offend anyone under any circumstances bit) so she lost the beauty contest. Big Deal.

None of it has anything to do with equal rights or free speech or anything like that, its just a silly beauty contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

dsmythy wrote: »
    Gay marriage was stopped after a referendum on it during the presidential elections wasn't it?
    This video explains what happened (the first part anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

netwhizkid wrote: »
    What I can't figure out is why anyone would be gay when there are women are hot as her in the world.
    Have a think about the sheer silliness of what you've said there...
    Plus she is a conservative +1 for me.
    Maybe she isn't, other than this particular view. But you did get to say "Look at me everyone! I'm a conservative, not like your usual young internet frequenter! Aren't I so different?!" ;)
    What about incestous adult marriage? A father and adult daughter for example. They're consenting adults aren't they?
    Yes. And if they want to have a non pro-creating relationship, they should be allowed to have a non pro-creating relationship. Doesn't affect me or my life in the slightest. Consensual incest has always been around whether we like the idea of it or not.
    Or what about straight same-sex platonic friends who wish to "commit"?
    Or is that beyond the boundaries of whatever modern moral fashion that academia and the media have convinced you to believe?
    LOL... Yes. Believing in same-sex marriage is only to be fashionable... ;)
    Nice how you compare a loving same-sex marriage with a non loving one, as if they can all be thrown in the bucket of "illegitimate marriages". Hetero platonic friends have marriages of convenience too you know.
    Incest between a father and daughter can never be properly consensual.
    I'd disagree with that, even if the cases of it being consensual are the overwhelming exception to the rule. It's still possible though.
    RiverWilde wrote: »
    1984 anyone?
    Ah it's not quite 1984... :)
    The contestant was asked her opinion, she gave it and now she's being flayed for it. How does that saying go? Don't ask an honest question if you don't want an honest answer? So the woman is not in favour of same sex marriage. Big deal.
    This race to the center on issues is really boring and smacks of intellectual censorship.
    I very much agree. I think it's rather dismaying that her winning of the contest hinged on giving an answer people wanted to hear. It's her opinion - not an opinion I'd agree with but still something she's entitled to. And it's not like she said "those gays should burn in hell for their sick, twisted ways"... it wasn't even a condemnation of homosexuality, it was simply a belief marriage should only be between a man and a woman - one of the original tenets of marriage. It doesn't look like she was forcing her religious views on anyone either - did she mention being a christian?
    That said, had she won, there would have been outrage from the gay community which has quite the representation in the entertainment industry... so the organisers were probably just afraid of that.
    Why people get 'offended' when someone doesn't agree with them is hilarious.
    I know. It's on Boards.ie all the time - people getting thick with you because you disagree with them and give back-up as to why. Disagreeing with someone is not an attack on them.
    I don't agree with divorce. I don't think unmarried couples should be given the same rights as married couples. These are my views. Some people may not agree, that is their choice.
    I think it's reasonable to expect back-up for a particular stance though. Saying "I disagree with it because that's the way I feel" tends not to cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think that a beauty pageant however, should be just that, a beauty pageant, not a quiz on ideologies.

Damn right. Theres too many clothes on them too. If we wanted to see those long dresses we'd go to a poxing wedding shows. More nudity, less yap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ah! ... in fairness, that would seem to negate the possibility that she was deliberately targetted all right ...
    Yeah. It's not as much fun when it is shown not to be fixed. :)

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the answer she gave.
    It was her opinion.
    She was asked for her opinion and she gave it.

prinz wrote: »
    Equal rights, is equal rights for all. She just got clearly discriminated against because of her views. I respect her more for speaking her mind, too many people are afraid to do so these days for fear of upsetting someone or being politically-incorrect.
    Some are more equal than others.

heard this on the radio this morning. she has an opinion that for me, she is entitle to and this reaction is crazy. by all accounts, she had this wrapped up and that one judge cost her. that, in my opinion, is total bulls*it. as to why a judge should see the need to discuss gay marriage at a womans beauty pagent is another issue.

As opposed to what?
    World peace and The Iraq?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

where was the booing?

in fairness...who knows why she came second. perhaps...by some freaky turn of the dice...the other girl was... ... ...better? *runs and hides*

perhaps she can't deal with not winning & has to come out with excuses?
    perhaps because she answered the question badly with her muttering and hesitation?

OK
    So if she says sorry then those millions will be able to re-integrate into society once more ?

I wouldn't say that they weren't integrated into society, except in certain areas where tolerance hasn't kept up.

Whatever she says now won't make a blind bit of difference, because it seems universal in "showbiz" that nobody gets a second chance with an opinion.

I find it ironic that a "lowest of the low" person like Perez Hilton could decide that one person is better than another for any reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Terry wrote: »
    Yeah. It's not as much fun when it is shown not to be fixed. :)
    Ah, in fairness, I'm not one to automatically jump up and down and shout "fixed!" ... just seemed a bit odd to me to see a fairly heavy / philosophical question directed at a contestant in a beauty pageant, where one normally wouldn't expect to encounter such an animal! ... and I did wonder if there might be a bit more to it than met the eye on this occasion.

As more details emerge, however, it seems more understandable ...

/shrugs

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Its a popularity contest and people are surprised she lost because she gave an unpopular answer?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

What if she said she didn't believe in Inter racial marriage, would people complain that she was punished for giving an honest opinion.

Fair enough she can exolain it religously but saying it shouldn't be legally allowed is saying she wants her religious beiefs FORCED on non believers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

<_<
    >_>

Its not a hand I am raising right I can tell you that for sure.

http://www.missuniverse.com/missusa/members/profile/220

Advertisement