Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faking religon for church wedding

Options
  • 20-04-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

HI all,

Just a quick question I just want to get peoples views on:

Would you fake being catholic or even get baptized If your partner wanted to have a church wedding?

Personally, I have no religious belief's (I'm a man of science; I'll believe when there is concrete proof), But having been thinking about this for a while and I'm not sure if I would go through the notions of pretending to be religious to get married In a church. But, at the same time I love my GF, so If she wanted a church wedding I'm not sure what Id do...

I was never baptized, My mother wanted me to have the choice of religion or none. so its not a case of being a fake catholic as alot of people are..

I would need to go through the baptism thing as I believe you have to produce a baptism cert.

Has anyone any thoughts or opinions? or has anyone been in a similar situation? All opinions welcome religious or not.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You might find some info on this thread here.

Also I seem to remember a thread in the Christianity forum too about whether a non-believer could get married in a church, if you want to ask or do a search there.

While I bit my lip and got married in a church - I would definitely have drawn the line at getting baptised to have to do so. (That was done before I could speak :p).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Why would you lie about your religious beliefs.... hate to quote from the bible on the A&A forum but this passage is too appropriate:

"You aren't one of this man's disciples too, are you?" she asked Peter.
    He replied, "I am not." It was cold, and the servants and officials stood around a fire they had made to keep warm. Peter also was standing with them, warming himself. John 18:15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

hobochris wrote: »
    I would need to go through the baptism thing as I believe you have to produce a baptism cert.

Not in Vegas I'd say, just a suggestion ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

grasshopa wrote: »
    Why would you lie about your religious beliefs....
    I would have thought thats obvious, to get what you want.
    We got married in a registry office and it was fine, but I can understand the desire some people have for the pomp and ceramony which you get from a religious wedding.

Either way you can still get married in a catholic church as long as one party is a catholic, I'm sure your PP could provide more accurate details than some randoms on the interswebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I used to say I'd go along with it but after being at a wedding I wouldn't. You have to promise the church you'll bring your kids up Catholic. The priest was a cool guy and I'd hate to have hold a straight face whilst doing that. I haven't been to Protestant/Islamic wedding but I'd imagine there's some similar deal.

That said, the church is a good starter for the wedding party, I reckon there's a niche in the market for a church like building where you get married, maybe instead of a service a few people get up and tell anecdotes/jokes etc. Then have a space outside for photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

has anyone been in a simulator situation?

Wait, hold the phone, they can simulate what it would be like to get married in a Catholic Church now? Awesome! :p

On another note, sure why not, if the woman you love has her heart set on a Church wedding then do it for her. Heck, do everything the woman you love wants. At the end of it all, you'll regret the things you didn't do for the ones you love, not the things you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

At the end of it all, you'll regret the things you didn't do for the ones you love, not the things you did.

Depends on whether the one you love is an acrotomophile. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

sink wrote: »
    touché! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Just say No and spend the 20k-50k on something nicer (such as a round the world trip) for the two of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I was lucky, herself and I both wanted to get married on a beach, under the sun, with a huge BBQ going for all the guests. None of this church malarky for us.

If it had been different, and she'd wanted one, my gut tells me I would have said no way, but I guess it all depends on how insistent she would have been. Luckily for me I never had to find out because frankly, I can think of very little worse than being dragged through a church for a wedding ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Just to clear up a few misconceptions:

1. You don't have to both be christian to get married in a christian church. One person does but when I got married last June in a church I officially designated myself as agnostic (I'm atheist and the celebrant knew this but don't have any issue with being considered agnostic as far as the bishop is concerned, they are nearly the same anyway). The only hoop we had to go through was that she had to get a letter of permission from the bishop for us to get married.

2. You don't have to promise to raise your children as christians. This used to be the case but these days the non christian doesn't have to make that promise and the christian is only required to promise to try to raise them as christian as long as this doesn't jeopardise the marriage itself.

This may be different in different denominations but in the RC it was surprisingly easy.. I had a few reservations about getting married in a RC church for all the reasons people have given so far but I was able to get married with no issues.

When it came time for communion I had the option of taking a blessing if I wanted instead of communion but I was also given the option of waving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

sink wrote: »

lol... well there's always exceptions :p
    Mena wrote: »
    Luckily for me I never had to find out because frankly, I can think of very little worse than being dragged through a church for a wedding ceremony.

Me too, but I think if you are the kind of person to not have a problem with your partners religious beliefs, or respect that they have had an idea for a dream wedding since being a child that, rather than trying tear that away from them because of a token principle, you'll accommodate them.

That being said my wife is someone practical, so the pomp of a Church wedding wasn't even considered. But a friend of mine who's agnostic went through the whole Church ceremony for his wife as, even though she also wasn't a practicing Catholic, had a Church in mind to get married in since she was a kid. It was a life dream of hers and he wasn't about to take it away from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Personally, I have no religious belief's (I'm a man of science; I'll believe when there is concrete proof), But having been thinking about this for a while and I'm not sure if I would go through the notions of pretending to be religious to get married In a church. But, at the same time I love my GF, so If she wanted a church wedding I'm not sure what Id do...
    I was in a similar situation. My wife is a mild Church goer and I am an atheist / humanist.

We went through the various options and the Unitarian Church was the best selection. I didn't have to say anything I didn't believe in, the other "Christian" churches they'll get you to publicly swear to Jesus, God, the Holy Spirit or all three.

Loads of mates got married in Catholic Churches. They are about as Catholic as Jackass or PDN is an atheist. But they didn't have a problem with it. I suppose they were looking at the big picture and didn't mind taking a hit for the team.

In fact, one mate recently got his child baptized and the Priest asked him:
    "Do you believe in Satan?"
    "Yes"
    "Do you believe in God?"
    "No"

And the Priest never noticed, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    My advice would be if you can stomach it, go for it. Most Priests are decent fellows at the end of the day.

I didn't have to say anything I didn't believe in, the other "Christian" churches they'll get you to publicly swear to Jesus, God, the Holy Spirit or all three.
    I got married in a Roman Catholic Church and I didn't have to publicly swear anything of the sort.. Were you baptised as a child by any chance? Might have been because the christians had no claim to my soul? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Loads of mates got married in Catholic Churches. They are about as Catholic as Jackass or PDN is an atheist. But they didn't have a problem with it. I suppose they were looking at the big picture and didn't mind taking a hit for the team.

Thanks, works so much better with a personal analogy :p

However, one does have to ask why bother in the first place if you don't believe in it, asides from denying God in a church like your friend did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Jakkass wrote: »
    Thanks, works so much better with a personal analogy :p

However, one does have to ask why bother in the first place if you don't believe in it, asides from denying God in a church like your friend did.

Personally I've no problem taking one for the team and having a church wedding.. I'll do what ever makes herself happy. I just wasn't sure if it could be done or if I'd have to go through the notions.This thread has answered my questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Personally I've no problem taking one for the team and having a church wedding.. I'll do what ever makes herself happy. I just wasn't sure if it could be done or if I'd have to go through the notions.This thread has answered my questions.

Yes, but why should you have to "take one for the team". Why not just have the secular wedding you are looking for, and then if you come to faith in God, substantiate it with a blessing?

I think people should be honest about their beliefs wherever possible.

For me it wasn't about denying god in any way.. I was completely up front and open about my beliefs and worked with the celebrant and my wife to put together a wedding mass that wasn't objectionable to anyone..

For me it was about the public commitment to our relationship and for her and her family we had a catholic ceremony. I was against it at first until I realised it was possible to have a catholic ceremony that didn't ask me to ignore\hide my personal beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Gambler wrote: »
    For me it wasn't about denying god in any way.. I was completely up front and open about my beliefs and worked with the celebrant and my wife to put together a wedding mass that wasn't objectionable to anyone..

For me it was about the public commitment to our relationship and for her and her family we had a catholic ceremony. I was against it at first until I realised it was possible to have a catholic ceremony that didn't ask me to ignore\hide my personal beliefs.
    The RC Church wasn't really an option for us as my wife is Protestant. I like the way they accomodated you.

The RC Church wasn't really an option for us as my wife is Protestant. I like the way they accomodated you.
    Yeah, it probably helped that we both knew the celebrant very well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I couldn't bring myself to fake religion for a wedding.
    So much that I am getting married abroad next month.
    Reg office on Mount St just isn't appealing to me :)

I know in theory since the change in legislation that you can get married outside of a reg office now but in practice the GRO are incredibly strict on where, when and how the service is conducted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

thanks for the info
    Gambler wrote: »
    Just to clear up a few misconceptions:

2. You don't have to promise to raise your children as christians. This used to be the case but these days the non christian doesn't have to make that promise and the christian is only required to promise to try to raise them as christian as long as this doesn't jeopardise the marriage itself.

sorry explain that again

and are you raising them christian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

HI all,

planning to propose? have you asked her about it, and if I presume she said she does want a church wedding, how much is it to do with the big day aesthetics and how much to do with religion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

HI all,

Just a quick question I just want to get peoples views on:

Would you fake being catholic or even get baptized If your partner wanted to have a church wedding?

I was never baptized, My mother wanted me to have the choice of religion or none. so its not a case of being a fake catholic as alot of people are..

Has anyone any thoughts or opinions? or has anyone been in a similar situation? All opinions welcome religious or not.

No I wouldn't. I think though I'd have known well before that if we were likely to clash on stuff like that, and if they had strong christian beliefs we might be incompatible anyway. And by then we'd either have broken up or compromised somehow - that said I don't think there's a chance I would ever get married in a church. Luckily my partner is not religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If I found someone insane enough to marry me, our wedding day would be an occasion for total honesty, with no place for fakery or chicanery of any kind. After all, what is a marriage, if not an honest and open commitment to another person? Call me a silly romantic, but I think that if you have to lie or play games on your wedding day, you have pretty much missed the point of getting married in the first place. If practicality is all that matters, why bother with marriage?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Zamboni wrote: »
    I couldn't bring myself to fake religion for a wedding.
    So much that I am getting married abroad next month.
    Reg office on Mount St just isn't appealing to me :)

I know in theory since the change in legislation that you can get married outside of a reg office now but in practice the GRO are incredibly strict on where, when and how the service is conducted.

Not really. You just book a nice function room in a hotel (some of the old castles etc are great). Then find a solemniser who is prepared to officiate - some of us, although church ministers, are quite happy to conduct a secular ceremony if requested.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yes, but why should you have to "take one for the team". Why not just have the secular wedding you are looking for, and then if you come to faith in God, substantiate it with a blessing?

I think people should be honest about their beliefs wherever possible.

If its to make your spouse happy then "taking one for the team" is perfectly acceptable. If my girlfriend had dreamed about a big white wedding in a church all her life then it wouldn't be in my best interests to take that dream away for her for a selfish reason like my beliefs.

In my eyes i could still be honest about my beliefs in this situation and get married in a church, after all to an atheist a church is just a pretty building.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,910 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wouldnt mind a church wedding so long as the ceremony reflected the situation as it was, in the same way as other inter-faith marriages are reflected at ceremonies. I would not wish to be misrepresented as a Christian/Jew/Muslim during the union, say. My wife in question would be happier knowing God wasn't lied to and that we (or at the very least she) still received his blessing despite my atheism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

I dont see why you would get married in a church anyways, they are creepy.

As far as Im aware you can get married in any public building and there are some very nice ones without iconography or mass.

I have my eye on Dublin City Hall (dream on I know!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

PDN wrote: »
    Not really. You just book a nice function room in a hotel (some of the old castles etc are great). Then find a solemniser who is prepared to officiate - some of us, although church ministers, are quite happy to conduct a secular ceremony if requested.

I found the staff in the GRO exceptionally unhelpful.
    Maybe I just got the wrong person on the wrong day but I am glad I am going abroad as I've had nothing but help from the registrar.

Advertisement