Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we build a nuclear station, where should we put it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"I used to be in your camp too - with an irrational fear of nuclear energy - so I have an idea of your approach. I am sure you are quite genuine in this, but I can assure you that you are mistaken. "

Very good SeanW ! Where did your road to Damascus experience take place - in the spotlessly clean visitors canteen in the spotlessly clean Sellafield Interpretative Centre? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

"I used to be in your camp too - with an irrational fear of nuclear energy - so I have an idea of your approach. I am sure you are quite genuine in this, but I can assure you that you are mistaken. "

Very good SeanW ! Where did your road to Damascus experience take place - in the spotlessly clean visitors canteen in the spotlessly clean Sellafield Interpretative Centre? :D:D:D

I don't understand, is this supposed to be a provocation, a joke or an insult?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

SeanW wrote: »
    Where do these figures come from? And what is the comparison exactly? It looks like the ICRP figures you posted are total figures, while for coal mining deaths you quote stats for just one year.
    If that is the case, I'm going to have to call nonsense on this

1. In playing the Chernobyl card, you prove that you know absolutely nothing about nuclear power in general or the accident itself. I suggest you research the Chernobyl accident, to find out exactly how it happened, and more importantly, how it could only have happened in a Communist country or similar craphole like the former Soviet Union.
    2. Most of those "other accidents" are glorified industrial accidents that noone (particularly Greenpeace) would have cared about, were they not "nuclear" facilities.
    3. Greenpeace is not exactly an unbiased source of information. Scaremongering maybe, but not unbiased information.
    4. As I explained above, the worries we have from coal use go WAY beyond the thousands of people killed every year in coal mines, the burning is even more dangerous.
      Just that with coal its easier to hide the dangers and make them invisible. But from the obscene CO2 emissions, to the mercury emissions that threaten ever more babies with brain damage due to mercury absorbtion in the womb, to the SO2 and NOX emissions that form Acid Rain clouds that destroy all before them in Scandinavia, coal gets a free ride to dump its toxic witches brew of waste into the air.

Nuclear plants emit nothing but the occasional column of clean steam, and the nuclear industry is the only baseline energy provider that seeks to deal with its own waste.
    I used to be in your camp too - with an irrational fear of nuclear energy - so I have an idea of your approach. I am sure you are quite genuine in this, but I can assure you that you are mistaken.

The figures are correct for a year.....

1. As to the chernobyl card.. it is a nuclear power plant that due to bad management went tits up....
    why should we exculde it...
    no different than three mile islan or windscale...
    who is to say irish management of a nuclear power station would be any different???

2. they where still accidents so the point still stands... they caused contamination and a lot more that steam release..

3. I provided information, the website piece i referred to only was about accidents... I did not use any other commentry from greenpeace, just a list of accidents that have taken place, so how is that scaremongering???
    I am just providing the facts...

4. I will not argur that point... I am just providing the facts...

and for the record I support nuclear power...
    I do believe it is relatively safe way of providing electricity, all I am doing is stating facts... read from them what you wish...

robtri wrote: »
    The figures are correct for a year.....

1. As to the chernobyl card.. it is a nuclear power plant that due to bad management went tits up....
    why should we exculde it...
    no different than three mile islan or windscale...
    who is to say irish management of a nuclear power station would be any different???

2. they where still accidents so the point still stands... they caused contamination and a lot more that steam release..

3. I provided information, the website piece i referred to only was about accidents... I did not use any other commentry from greenpeace, just a list of accidents that have taken place, so how is that scaremongering???
    I am just providing the facts...

4. I will not argur that point... I am just providing the facts...

and for the record I support nuclear power...
    I do believe it is relatively safe way of providing electricity, all I am doing is stating facts... read from them what you wish...

Chernobyl is a bad example because the Russians practically tried to make it go "tits up". The other two are bad example because they happened so long ago. Yes the very worst that can happen with nuclear power is worse than the very worst that can happen with coal power, but the very worst rarely happens in either case. You might as well argue that soldiers should carry swords into battle because there's a danger that their rifles could backfire, whereas the worst they could reasonably do with a sword is dropping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

But from the obscene CO2 emissions, to the mercury emissions that threaten ever more babies with brain damage due to mercury absorbtion in the womb, to the SO2 and NOX emissions that form Acid Rain clouds that destroy all before them in Scandinavia, coal gets a free ride to dump its toxic witches brew of waste into the air.

Nuclear plants emit nothing but the occasional column of clean steam, and the nuclear industry is the only baseline energy provider that seeks to deal with its own waste.
    Hang on their now; you cannot accuse others of bias and scaremongering and then come out with a statement such as this. Sure, coal is dirty, but nuclear is completely 100% squeaky clean? Providers of nuclear energy “deal with” their waste by burying it in the ground – that’s not a viable long-term solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

To be honest I don't think nuclear would be suitable for our grid regardless
    of whether we support it or not. (I support it btw)

As our wind generation increases, the grid will have to become more
    dynamic to control supply and demand. Unfortunately Nuclear Plants
    are not dynamic. You cant just turn them off and they need to operate
    at close to 100% of their output to be viable.

Most power plants at the moment operate at an average of 50/60% of their
    capacity with the rest in reserve for peak demand or sudden changes
    such as say, the wind stops blowing or there is a power outage.

We are better off importing Nuclear generated energy from the UK when
    we need it, and let them look after balancing when we don't.

Chernobyl is a bad example because the Russians practically tried to make it go "tits up". The other two are bad example because they happened so long ago. Yes the very worst that can happen with nuclear power is worse than the very worst that can happen with coal power, but the very worst rarely happens in either case. You might as well argue that soldiers should carry swords into battle because there's a danger that their rifles could backfire, whereas the worst they could reasonably do with a sword is dropping it.

so you admit nuclear power generation is worse than coal....... thank you...

so you dismiss the chernobly effect, because it doesn't fit into your nice squeaky clean image of nuclear power... like it or not Chernobyl happened and could happen again... the forsmark incident in Sweden shows how close it came again to happening....
    the other two examples are out of date... ok how about reading this report on nuclear accidents that have happened since chernobyl..
    http://www.greens-efa.org/cms/topics/dokbin/181/181995.pdf

The worst very rarely happens, but accidents happen all the time....

your analogy about the swords and guns is pointless and .....
    ohh by the way, you could also fall over and impale yourself on swords, or fall and impale the guy in front of you... which is just as bad as shooting yourself or a friend...

so you admit nuclear power generation is worse than coal....... thank you...

Thank you for putting words into my mouth. No I don't think nuclear power is worse than coal. I accept that nuclear accidents can be worse than coal accidents. However, coal at its safest, without an accident, causes more damage to the environment and population living in close proximity to it than nuclear power does. This, to my mind, makes nuclear better than coal.
    robtri wrote:
    so you dismiss the chernobly effect, because it doesn't fit into your nice squeaky clean image of nuclear power... like it or not Chernobyl happened and could happen again... the forsmark incident in Sweden shows how close it came again to happening....
    the other two examples are out of date... ok how about reading this report on nuclear accidents that have happened since chernobyl..
    http://www.greens-efa.org/cms/topics/dokbin/181/181995.pdf

I haven't had the chance to fully read this, I will try to get round to it, however, in the parts I did read, they claim nuclear power is unsafe based on reactors built in the last century. This is my point, that technology has grown to make nuclear power safer. People keep highlighting "near misses" but doesn't this just reinforce my point? The safety precautions are good enough to limit accidents to near misses instead of full-blown meltdowns. What is "the chernobyl effect"? If you are referring to the fact that an old nuclear reactor left to rot for years will meltdown eventually, I fully acknowledge that fact, my point is rather that such a thing shouldn't happen.
    robtri wrote:
    The worst very rarely happens, but accidents happen all the time....

Agreed, but for a nuclear meltdown to occur in a modern reactor, several accidents and system failures would have to occur all at once. I suppose this is possible, but so is the sun going supernova and destroying us all...
    robtri wrote:
    your analogy about the swords and guns is pointless and .....
    ohh by the way, you could also fall over and impale yourself on swords, or fall and impale the guy in front of you... which is just as bad as shooting yourself or a friend...

I did use the word "reasonably" in there. There's no way you could reasonably fall on your sword and impale yourself by accident(although I could be wrong, I've never tried!:P)! You could trip and impale the guy in front of you, which would be tragic, but with a gun you could accidentally trip and mow down a whole squad of your allies. That is what I was going for with the comparison. Accidents with swords cause smaller scale injuries, accidents with guns cause larger scale injuries. Coal accidents cause smaller scale injuries, nuclear accidents cause larger scale injuries. My point is; we shouldn't hold back on advancement because there's a small chance something goes wrong, how else can we possibly improve our technology? :confused:

Thank you for putting words into my mouth. No I don't think nuclear power is worse than coal. I accept that nuclear accidents can be worse than coa <snip> ....because there's a small chance something goes wrong, how else can we possibly improve our technology? :confused:
    Don't forget I too am in favour of nuclear power, I think its a great thing and personally don't have any issues with it at all...

Yes the chances of a large scale accident are diminishing all the time with new safety protocols and advances in technology... but people need to be aware they still happen....
    and if we decided to build a new nuclear power plant in the morning and forgetting about planning issues, the technology that goes into it would be out of date by the time it opens.... it takes between 12 and 17 years tobuild and commision a nuclear powerstation.......

Don't forget I too am in favour of nuclear power, I think its a great thing and personally don't have any issues with it at all...

Yes the chances of a large scale accident are diminishing all the time with new safety protocols and advances in technology... but people need to be aware they still happen....
    and if we decided to build a new nuclear power plant in the morning and forgetting about planning issues, the technology that goes into it would be out of date by the time it opens.... it takes between 12 and 17 years tobuild and commision a nuclear powerstation.......

Agreed, but I still don't think we should let these concerns hold us back. Of course I'm not advocating the building of a nuclear power plant with no planning, but we have to remember that our energy needs are only going to continue to increase. While it might take 12-17 years to build the plant, how much of this is taken up by the construction of the building and how much is the reactor itself(which presumably will be build last). The main problem with modern Irish governments has been the lack of foresight, only dealing with the here and know instead of looking into long term projects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Agreed, but I still don't think we should let these concerns hold us back. Of course I'm not advocating the building of a nuclear power plant with no planning, but we have to remember that our energy needs are only going to continue to increase. While it might take 12-17 years to build the plant, how much of this is taken up by the construction of the building and how much is the reactor itself(which presumably will be build last). The main problem with modern Irish governments has been the lack of foresight, only dealing with the here and know instead of looking into long term projects.

We're still bogged down in the safety aspect of it!? I'll repeat what I said on page three and hope for an answer now that we all seem to agree that it's safe:

"It's is my understanding that Nuclear power is not the best option, not on a safety basis, but on a general environmental basis. It is a fact that the waste is not easily disposed, and by disposing it we just lock it up for years until it becomes less radioactive. Nuclear plants are a pain to decommission. Two solutions exist - dispose of tons (many many) of radioactive concrete etc, or leave the plant there for hundreds of years.

Secondly Nuclear power is unreliable. In a small country like this we would be rightly screwed if one or two power plants stop working. And I agree with this argument against wind power, but the number of plants that this country could support is so few that we would need to keep current facilities open to provide for this"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭SeanW

@Cliste:

We will likely never stop talking about nuclear safety, since the likes of Greenpeace have successfully framed the debate around the Chernobyl accident and can frame the entire question around "please think of little broken Annya, whos picture we're whoring to score cheap emotional points"
    even though to anyone who is informed on nuclear issues and has researched the Chernobyl accident knows how it happened any how it can only happen when you've got a totally incompetent (and by that I mean Soviet scale incompetence, something even our FF masters would be incapable of)

For the reasons of our small market, my preference would be an array of small nuclear installations - such as Pebble Bed Reactors - which geneally come in capacities up to and including 125MW and/or Toshiba 4S "Micro Nuke" nuclear batteries, which can be obtained in 10MW and 15MW ratings respectively.

I agree that building EPRs, weighing in at 1600MW or indeed any "traditional" nuclear might not be the best approach.

My preference: dump the big powerstation with a big reactor and gazillion tons of concrete - as well as the associated big transmission grid with its big transmission losses and other problems - and have a decentralised network of emerging small-nuclear reactor technologies. By the time we are mature enough to consider the question (if ever), these technologies will most likely also be very mature.

I would say put one, or a combination of, PBRs and 4Ses in each town and city, each urban area having enough to supply itself and its hinterlands, then have a smaller grid to allow power to be distributed more evenly on an ongoing basis and provide a safety net for the whole network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

@SeanW

Well let's have our own conversation anyway!

Is it wise to pin your hopes on what is really an emerging technology? Has anyone done the maths on the environmental impact of the micro reactors? Judging by the traditional reactors they aren't really that carbon efficient...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Driseog

Put it in Europe and we can import the electricity, oh wait that's what we're already doing. Considering nuclear energy for Ireland is pure laziness. With the small size of this country and proper political commitment, there is no reason for us not to be able to get all our energy from renewable sources. And with the way things have gone in the past few years would ye trust anyone to manage a nuclear power station safely in Ireland?

@Cliste:
    "Well let's have our own conversation anyway!" Sure, why not. I'll bite :p
    "Is it wise to pin your hopes on what is really an emerging technology?" Like I said, I doubt these will still be "emerging" by the time, if ever we are ready to think about it logically.
    "Has anyone done the maths on the environmental impact of the micro reactors?" If you're looking for very fine details, I don't have them. My knowledge is much more general. But I do know that some of these, such as the Toshiba 4S, operate much as a "nuclear battery" being fully self-contained units and with specifications that call for them to be placed underground, it sounds pretty clean and straightforward. I don't know much about the manufacturing of them though.

Besides we don't have to use these emerging reactor types - the CANDU reactor generally comes no more than 600MW per reactor - and it has the added benefit of being a virtual "garbage can," being theoretically able to take not only normal nuclear fuel, Low Enriched Uranium or LEU, but natural uranium, plutonium, reused MOX fuels, Thorium and a few others.

"Judging by the traditional reactors they aren't really that carbon efficient... "
    Well, France gets more than 90% of its electricity from non-fossil sources, of which 75% of the total is nuclear, I am assuming thusly that this would have been very difficult, if not impossible if the maths didn't work out.

Keep in mind that when I say I'm pro nuclear, it's not because I love nuclear power so much, it's just that everything else is far worse in at least one respect. In a world where, quite literally "nothing is perfect" nuclear is closest power generation form we have.

@Driseog
    "With the small size of this country and proper political commitment, there is no reason for us not to be able to get all our energy from renewable sources."
    I can give you one very good reason - renewables don't work. Despite every Green party and Greenpeace propoganda piece being festooned with pictures of windmills, grid control requires controllable power sources. Renewables are - quite literally - as reliable as the weather, and so we cannot build a power system based on them. The only country that has ever been able to eschew both fossil and nuclear electricity is Iceland - but that's only because they have a whole bunch of wide river valleys and geothermal activity.

A lot of talk is given to the idea of energy storage - i.e. taking power from the wind turbines and solar panels in highly productive time, dumping it some kind of power bank, and drawing down on that when the clouds roll in or the wind tapers off. The problem is that for Ireland that would mean storing up about 1000 GW/h of power or more, if we wanted to use weather based renewables exclusively. The only proven technology for this is hydroelectric or pumped hydro plants. An emerging technology, the Vanadium Redox Battery, is too small in scale - you might have heard about this having been proposed for the Sorne Hill windfarm in Donegal. That idea is on ice for 3 main reasons:
    1. The company that markets the technology is bankrupt.
    2. To be viable, it would have required a large increase in electricity charges to consumers. We already have among (if not the) highest electricity charges in all of Europe, so that's out.
    3. Despite being by a wide margin the largest VRB in the world, the Sorne Hill VRB would only store 12 MegaWatt Hours. Ireland's peak demand is in the region of 4000MW.
    Renewables are useless and always will be unless someone comes up with a killer storage system. In the absence of this, we must chose between nuclear and fossil fuels. We cannot avoid this.

"And with the way things have gone in the past few years would ye trust anyone to manage a nuclear power station safely in Ireland?" If we tried to build and run our own reactor, the worst that could happen is that it would be 10 years late, 3 times over budget, and the nuclear regulator would be shutting it down all the time - which would be very much in line with the way our government does things :mad:
    This is NOT the Soviet Union, however, and the chain of events that caused the Chernobyl accident could not happen - not even in Ireland!!! The closest modern evquivalent necessary would be Zimbabwe.

Of course we could always just buy Toshiba nuclear batteries, we would avoid a lot of that.

This is NOT the Soviet Union, however, and the chain of events that caused the Chernobyl accident could not happen - not even in Ireland!!! The closest modern evquivalent necessary would be Zimbabwe.

Of course we could always just buy Toshiba nuclear batteries, we would avoid a lot of that.

sorry that statement is wrong, the closet modern incident is the Sweedish
    Forsmark Nuclear power plant incident in 2006

Quote "
    July 2006 incident

On 25 July 2006, one reactor was shut down after an electrical fault.[3][4] According to the Swedish Nuclear Power Inspection authority SKI the incident was rated 2 on the International Nuclear Event Scale. According to Lars-Olov Höglund, a former construction chief at Vattenfall, it is the most serious nuclear incident in the world since the Chernobyl disaster and it was pure luck that prevented a meltdown.[5] "

and by the way Sweeden, who have 12 of these babies are planning on phasing out nuclear power.... I wonder why....

sorry that statement is wrong, the closet modern incident is the Sweedish
    Forsmark Nuclear power plant incident in 2006

Quote "
    July 2006 incident

On 25 July 2006, one reactor was shut down after an electrical fault.[3][4] According to the Swedish Nuclear Power Inspection authority SKI the incident was rated 2 on the International Nuclear Event Scale. According to Lars-Olov Höglund, a former construction chief at Vattenfall, it is the most serious nuclear incident in the world since the Chernobyl disaster and it was pure luck that prevented a meltdown.[5] "

and by the way Sweeden, who have 12 of these babies are planning on phasing out nuclear power.... I wonder why....

So what you're saying is; in the most serious nuclear accident for 30 years...nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

I haven't read all this thread, too long winded for my taste.

If someone can come up with an alternative power source that will power the country as clean and cost effective as nuclear power then lets do it.

Unfortunately we dont have any sensible alternatives. Personally I think we should build a Nuke Station in between Tallaght and Lucan. Both areas would benefit from Jobs created by its construction and provide a couple thousand jobs once its open. Plus it would definately improve the esthetics of the area.

Nuff said, if i was El Presidento thats what i'd do :)

I haven't read all this thread, too long winded for my taste.

If someone can come up with an alternative power source that will power the country as clean and cost effective as nuclear power then lets do it.

Unfortunately we dont have any sensible alternatives. Personally I think we should build a Nuke Station in between Tallaght and Lucan. Both areas would benefit from Jobs created by its construction and provide a couple thousand jobs once its open. Plus it would definately improve the esthetics of the area.

Nuff said, if i was El Presidento thats what i'd do :)

sensible alternative..... GAS
    cheap to build, cheap to run and lower risks than nuclear...

sensible alternative..... GAS
    cheap to build, cheap to run and lower risks than nuclear...

Short term yes, but long term?

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is; in the most serious nuclear accident for 30 years...nothing happened.

nothing happened, but the potential for catasphropy is shown by failures in the plant..

I am only talking about recent times... since chernobyl, as seemingly some people who support nuclear power want to brush that one under the carpet...

lets try Japan 1999 - 2 dead and 119 people exposed to high levels of radiation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokaimura_nuclear_accident

or 1993 Tomsk accident - over 2000 people exposed to large radiation doses, but that one was in russia so let me guess it doesn't count...
    http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/115650-n9MQVZ/webviewable/115650.pdf

and Tokaimura 1997, 37 people exposed to nuclear radiation
    and 1993 Fukushima power plant 1 dead

there are plenty more accidents happening in nuclear plants, the problem with nuclear power is
    the WHAT IF scenario....
    Cost.. Building
    Cost Runninng it
    Where to dispose of nuclear waste

Short term yes, but long term?

still yes.... long term still cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm going to have to ask you to demonstrate the cost-effectiveness of nuclear power (in an Irish context).

nothing happened, but the potential for catasphropy is shown by failures in the plant..
    In the firstplace, I doubt it was "just luck" that prevented a meltdown, there may be some hyperbole there (wouldn't be the first time). In any case, the reactor has (or should have) full double containment vessels that would have taken anything a reactor in meltdown could throw at it and the worst that could have happened was a Three Mile Island, which as you're aware didn't make any territory uninhabitable, or AFAIK kill anyone, due to the fact that it had full double containment vessels whereas Soviet plants did not. It should also be pointed out that the plant dates back to the 1980s.
    I am only talking about recent times... since chernobyl, as seemingly some people who support nuclear power want to brush that one under the carpet...
    It's not a question of "brushing it under the carpet" - it's a question of relevance. Most of the people who play the Chernobyl care either A) have an agenda or B) don't know what they're talking about. The only comparison between Chernobyl-4 and modern Western nuclear reactors, is that they're both nuclear power plants.

In every other possible detail, the Chernobyl/RBMK plant is not at all like anything ever done outside the former Soviet Union.
    or 1993 Tomsk accident - over 2000 people exposed to large radiation doses, but that one was in russia so let me guess it doesn't count...
    http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/115650-n9MQVZ/webviewable/115650.pdf
    Lets see ... Russia was bankrupt then ... had been a Communist country only a few years earlier ... infrastructure probably built under the Iron Curtin ... nothing to see here.
    lets try Japan 1999 - 2 dead and 119 people exposed to high levels of radiation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokaimura_nuclear_accident

and Tokaimura 1997, 37 people exposed to nuclear radiation
    and 1993 Fukushima power plant 1 dead
    Glorified industrial accidents.
    there are plenty more accidents happening in nuclear plants, the problem with nuclear power is
    the WHAT IF scenario....
    And what if we decide to burn coal instead?
    Coal kills 25,000 people annually in the U.S.
    and mining kills about 6000 more each year.
    Norway spends an exponentially increasing amount of money each year treating its lakes and rivers with lime to counteract Acid Rain damage from Southern European coal burning.
    If the entire area of Southern Norway where the critical load has been exceeded should receive sufficient lime, the costs would be approximately NOK 340 million according to the Norwegian Institute for Water Research.
    Source.

Gas is not as filthy but still causes CO2 emissions as well as radon, and is totally insecure, being transported over long pipelines (from countries that don't like us very much) and being impossible to store or build a "strategic reserve" of.

With fossil fuels, it's not a question of "what if" but rather "How much destruction are we prepared to put up with?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

I would go for New Ross.
    Nothing much to lose from contamination. And a river and good roads too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

SeanW - you mentioned elsewhere on this thread that you are an environmentalist and out of idle curiosity I was wondering which if any environmental organisations you belong/or have belonged to? What is your agenda? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I voted for moneypoint. I live in Limerick. It'd create jobs, and fcuk it, if it blew id just move away. It'd finally give me the kick up the arse i need to leave limerick.

In the firstplace, I doubt it was "just luck" that prevented a meltdown, there may be some hyperbole there (wouldn't be the first time). In any case, the reactor has (or should have) full double containment vessels that would have taken anything a reactor in meltdown could throw at it and the worst that could have happened was a Three Mile Island, which as you're aware didn't make any territory uninhabitable, or AFAIK kill anyone, due to the fact that it had full double containment vessels whereas Soviet plants did not. It should also be pointed out that the plant dates back to the 1980s.

It's not a question of "brushing it under the carpet" - it's a question of relevance. Most of the people who play the Chernobyl care either A) have an agenda or B) don't know what they're talking about. The only comparison between Chernobyl-4 and modern Western nuclear reactors, is that they're both nuclear power plants.

In every other possible detail, the Chernobyl/RBMK plant is not at all like anything ever done outside the former Soviet Union.

Lets see ... Russia was bankrupt then ... had been a Communist country only a few years earlier ... infrastructure probably built under the Iron Curtin ... nothing to see here.

Glorified industrial accidents.

And what if we decide to burn coal instead?
    Coal kills 25,000 people annually in the U.S.
    and mining kills about 6000 more each year.
    Norway spends an exponentially increasing amount of money each year treating its lakes and rivers with lime to counteract Acid Rain damage from Southern European coal burning.
    If the entire area of Southern Norway where the critical load has been exceeded should receive sufficient lime, the costs would be approximately NOK 340 million according to the Norwegian Institute for Water Research.
    Source.

Gas is not as filthy but still causes CO2 emissions as well as radon, and is totally insecure, being transported over long pipelines (from countries that don't like us very much) and being impossible to store or build a "strategic reserve" of.

With fossil fuels, it's not a question of "what if" but rather "How much destruction are we prepared to put up with?"

so every accident that has happened in a nuclear power plant you dismiss, cause it doesn't fit your clean nice image of Nuclear power..
    well bury your head in the sand then.... NUclear power is a good thing but it isn't as wonderful and as squeaky clean as you say... I have no hidden agenda and am comfortable playing the chernobyl card...
    core meltdown happened and happened before chernobly in Three mile island and the quite possibly will happen again....

I have never supported coal as a source of power...
    I have only recommend Gas... which I believe is a better option for ireland...

so every accident that has happened in a nuclear power plant you dismiss, cause it doesn't fit your clean nice image of Nuclear power..
    well bury your head in the sand then.... NUclear power is a good thing but it isn't as wonderful and as squeaky clean as you say... I have no hidden agenda and am comfortable playing the chernobyl card...
    core meltdown happened and happened before chernobly in Three mile island and the quite possibly will happen again....

I have never supported coal as a source of power...
    I have only recommend Gas... which I believe is a better option for ireland...

And what happens when gas goes the way of oil? Why invest in old fossil fuels which will run out? Why not invest in something which, once running, will be easy to maintain running? I don't understand this over-reliance on gas, coal and petrol powered plants Ireland has. If any alternate to nuclear power were to be proposed, I'd recommend tidal power as it's as reliable as the tides! ;)

• Advertisement

And what happens when gas goes the way of oil? Why invest in old fossil fuels which will run out? Why not invest in something which, once running, will be easy to maintain running? I don't understand this over-reliance on gas, coal and petrol powered plants Ireland has. If any alternate to nuclear power were to be proposed, I'd recommend tidal power as it's as reliable as the tides! ;)

what happens when uranium runs out or becomes too expensive.... Nuclear power relies on fuel we digg out of the earth and there is a hell of a lot less of it than gas....

Advertisement