Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Meaning Of Life - RTE1

Options
  • 19-04-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

a reminder of how good The Late Late used to be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its Gay Byrne of old. I haven't seen an interview like this for a long time on RTE. Guided, researched, and intelligent. Bring him back to the Late Late, or have him mentor someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

sorry , couldnt stomach either of them, had to switch off.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

sorry , couldnt stomach either of them, had to switch off.:eek:

I agree listening to Farrell blab on about all that crap about energies and some form of mind science was pretty stomach turning . Gaybo asks at one stage ' What happens when you die ? What a load of tripe .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,716 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I didn't like Gay Byrne on the Late Late (or the show in general), I don't like his involement with the RSA (a job for which I think he's completely unqualified), and I don't like his continuing attempts to get back on the telly (despite supposedly having retired years ago).

No doubt it was a ratings winner with RTE's older audience though! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

I agree with the last few comments it was complete and utter hogwash .... but it's all about the ratings not quality programming !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I agree listening to Farrell blab on about all that crap about energies and some form of mind science was pretty stomach turning . Gaybo asks at one stage ' What happens when you die ? What a load of tripe .

Spirituality is the theme of the show.
    The clue is in the name.

I found it quite interesting.
    Fair play to Farrell for turning his life around the way he did.

Gaybo is a good interviewer, I hope he takes the Late Late back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Is this repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 FJB

I think Gaybo, although a skilled broadcaster and a good interviewer, would be unsuitable to take over the late late. Our media savvy public these days wouldn't take to being patronized by his superior tone of voice. Colin Farrell on the other hand seems to almost too concerned with proving the opposite about himself! His meanderings and never ending streams of consciousness were interesting at first but now it's like, employ some common sense and personal censorship! There was one hilarious jump cut in the programme when he started talking about his views on abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Steve.Pseudonym

I'm just watching this online now, and Jesus H. Christ, does Colin Farrell have a BA in talking utter ****e? He's just spouting nonsense trying to make himself seem smarter than he is. He'd come across much better if he just left it out and answered the questions like a normal human. Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he clearly has no faith what was there to discuss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

JP Liz wrote: »
    Is this repeated?

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1045981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mknotaro

I saw this the other night.

It was a badly edited, bizzare piece of telly. Starting with the strange opening credits, he's on a bench, he's standing up, he's looking around, he's sitting back down on the bench - and dreadful children singing like some sort of chorus conducted by a cat.

I don't think I saw one shot on the programme that had Gay and Farrell in it. Just boring medium close ups on both of them, with a gentle moving camera on Farrell. Gay could have recorded his side at a completely other time (he probably didn't but, no interaction between them).

The ad show shots of him with these people, i think it even ends with him walking along with sinead o'connor. But all this episode was, was talking heads.

And whoever thought of opening the door, so all was behind Farrell was a lamp and a bed peaking out... I couldn't help smiling to myself ever time I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

I'm just watching this online now, and Jesus H. Christ, does Colin Farrell have a BA in talking utter ****e? He's just spouting nonsense trying to make himself seem smarter than he is. He'd come across much better if he just left it out and answered the questions like a normal human. Unbelievable.

I agree , actual jib erupted out of his mouth at one stage .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 orlaj

i liked the interview thought farrell was refreshingly honest ( a change for hollywood) and Gay asked the right questions .... and i'm not in my sixties !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The content of the show was odd, Farrell was difficult to understand at times and Gay took a completely different approach to an interview than a PK these days. But thats what the shows theme is! Spirituality, the meaning of life and whatever. Gay acting weird in the opening credits but that is life in so many ways, tough to explain and beyond our comprehension. Spirituality and religous stuff ain't my cup of tea, i'd watch the odd time but i enjoyed this. Now in saying that i wouldn't like to watch the whole series week on week but it was a nice show to sit and watch for 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

he clearly has no faith what was there to discuss

How do you know that then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Good to see Uncle Gaybo earn some of the €250,000 the Taxpayer pays him a year. Why is nobody calling for him to take a pay cut? He gets 250 grand a year for doing little or nothing. Now thats not fair Gaybo !

Oh and another thing, get away from the RSA, you have no clue what you are at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

themont85 wrote: »
    How do you know that then?

cos he said so repeatedly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I enjoyed the Colin Farrell interview. i didn't think there was much bullsh*t in it at all. You would recognise all the influences though of therapy though. He spoke very eloquently about his son, I never knew. I loved what he said about working with the Special Olympics.

The Gerry Adams wasn't as long 26 minutes as opposed to 40 minutes for Colin Farrell. I enjoyed it - just have to leave the knowledge about Gerry Adams being an IRA member at the door. I wonder will he leave the truth in memoirs somewhere to be published after his death.

It is great to see Gay Byrne back on our screens - really one of the best in the world at interviewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ruby Rainbow

I really enjoyed it, Colin had a lovely outlook on life..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nice idea, but I really can't watch it without cringing like crazy.....!!! Not as bad as Gerry Freud Ryan's psychoanalysis, but still painful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

mknotaro wrote: »
    and dreadful children singing like some sort of chorus conducted by a cat

I read this comment this morning and I have been smiling laughing to myself all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Dave! wrote: »
    Nice idea, but I really can't watch it without cringing like crazy.....!!! Not as bad as Gerry Freud Ryan's psychoanalysis, but still painful

I detest that man, the worst thing about him is, he thinks he is knowledgeable and profound. Whereas he isn't, he is a sad, sad man.

That morning show has really gone to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,263 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Stephen Fry on tonight at 10.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Choppy editting or can Gaybo not transition between questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

Thou shalt not question the perfection of Gaybo

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Choppy editting or can Gaybo not transition between questions?

Very strange editing. There was no answer given when Stephen asked if he was presenting oddly. It just went straight to the next question.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,263 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is returning with Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

Oh I am really looking forward to watching this programme again. Mary Byrne was my favourite on it before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

Oh I am really looking forward to watching this programme again. Mary Byrne was my favourite on it before

Advertisement