Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Miles or kilometers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

unkel wrote: »
    I'm not surprised ;)

Hardy har har har:pac:

Edit: When some one does ask, I'll be suprised, as I don't know. I must find them out, lol.

2nd edit: Per 100, same thing... Lol, I thought you were joking at the lack of customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hardy har har har:pac:

Edit: When some one does ask, I'll be suprised, as I don't know. I must find them out, lol.

2nd edit: Per 100, same thing... Lol, I thought you were joking at the lack of customers.

You'd have some vehicles where litres per kilometre wouldn't be far off though, right? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Arrgghh go away, lol. You can't say anything around here without being picked up on it:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've converted over recently as all the instruments in my latest car are in Km.

The 'litres per 100km' actually makes sense when you think about it. As an inverse measurement it shows the actual saving in fuel rather than the change in efficiency. Using the classic miles per gallon measurement tends to hide the fact that the a 2mpg increase in efficiency means very little to someone getting 50mpg but an awful lot to someone (like me) getting closer to 20mpg around town. It does result in a very easily comparable figure for efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Grew up with metric stuff, never bothered with most imperial measurements, e.g. never really used stone because our weighing scale doesn't have them and I could never be arsed dividing by 14, same for pounds, feet, etc. Who actually knows how many feet or yards are in a mile? (no looking up now :D)

Only started driving in 2006, but rarely get to drive a post-metric car. So speed limit speeds are metric for me, but anything under 30MPH is imperial (don't ask!). Long distances here are km, but my trip counter and odometer are miles and never bother converting. I use MPG because as proven by this thread only weird people and dem foreigners use l/100km :) - gallons serve no other purpose for me. PSI because bars just seem too large for tyre pressure (decimal fractions? Get outta here). BHP because PS is equally silly and only Aussies use kW for cars. Torques are Nm though!

So yeah, it's a mess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Car has mph so I still convert back to mph. Even if car was metric not sure I would change. Maybe I would change for distances but don't think I would stop talking about speed in mph yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I wish I could understand that whole litres per kilometer, but I couldn't be arsed.

I never bothered until I got the current car, where the trip computer is either in metric or imperial. Since I use km, I get l/100Km on the computer, so I looked it up.

6 is 45 mpg, 7 is 40, 9 is 30. That covers the range I need.

In theory, 3 is 90 mpg (remember the three litre polo from a couple of years back?), and 14 is 12, but I never see those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

To convert from mpg to l/100km, just divide the mpg value into 280.

eg. 40mpg = 280/40= 7 l/100km

Advertisement