Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Miles or kilometers?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭

Who still uses the 'old' system? Who still measures distance in miles and speed in mph? Or consumption in mpg?

Or who is a fully complying european and uses metric system for everything?

I for one use the old system. I've no concept of speed in km/h. Say he was doing 110kph and I will still convert that to 70mph. And i still dont get the km per liter or liter per km.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They stopped teaching the imperial system in school over twenty years ago.

I suppose it was easy for me as I wasn't long driving when the metric system was introduced. So I switched straight away.

As for mpg??
    Does your odometer show miles (possibly it does)
    Do you buy fuel by the gallon? Certainly not

L/100 km seems so much easier to me

Get with the times old timer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Fully metric here, always have been. Only since I moved here did I have to grapple with miles, mpg and my personal bugbear ...feckin' inches and fractions thereof.

Having said that, Im not completely "modern" either. I still can't think in kw and much prefer the old fashioned PS and I guess I will never fill my tyres with x hectopascal of air ...bar all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

l per 100km is a bit insane though. It makes more sense to have km per litre, so you know immediately with 10 litres I can travel x km.

You're journey is 78km, how much fuel do you put it when you only understand l/100km? It's counterintuitive. It's useful as a manufacturing figure to gain lifetime consumption figures for press releases, but litres per km, or km per litre makes more sense from the consumer perspective IMHO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I still think in imperial units. Old habits die hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I somehow think in both at the same time except for fuel consumption - mpg clearly easier than liters per 100 km.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

metric for work (Draughtsman)
    but im purely MPH in the car, just cant get my head around the whole L/100km etc etc (although never really looked into it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dont really mind whether the car is in miles or kilometres...mines in km's but that means the stoooopid l/100km craic. I could get my head around mpg if it could be changed but sadly it cant. The only figure I have in my head is that 7.0 is ok (40mpg) but haven't the foggiest on how to do a quick calculation on it

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

What about horse power - isn't there any more modern way of expressing a car's power power?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Im metric in everything except the speedo, i hate to hear people saying "i was doing 180 down the motorway there the other day". i'm old fashioned and it makes more sense to me to say 110mph. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

road signs are in km/hr so i use that.

plus my speedometer is only in km/hr so i just use that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

still on the old system....

stopped by a unmarked cop car about 6 months ago, was tearing home from work about 11pm on the empty motorway at about 90 mph, copper drives up behind me flashes the lights etc and I pull over.

He's giving me serious lackery about what if a small child (with the head of a baby deer that does lots of charity work for the blind orphans of fatima etc etc) had run out in front of me (on a motorway, about 9 miles from the nearest house, at 11 at night).

Then he starts talking rubbish about me aparently doing over 150, to whcih I let rip and tell him not to be so ridiculous that my car is not capable of doing 150mph and to cop on to himself and stop talking sh!te.

I kind of realised towards the end of my scornful rant that he meant 150kph.

That'll be two points pls. Thank you officer.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My car clocks are in Km but i still use miles and mpg in my thought process. Luckily, I can also set my car to show trip info etc in miles together with a little digital display of speed in mph also if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What about horse power - isn't there any more modern way of expressing a car's power power?

PS is used on le continent but its BHP by another name really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

mike65 wrote: »
    PS is used on le continent but its BHP by another name really.

kW... kiloWatts. Same as an electric fire.

Can't remember the conversion between kW and BHP off the top of my head though, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

1hp = 746watts

So your 110hp diesel = 82060watts or 82kW.

Or 27 standard kettles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I had only just got used to miles when we switched over to Km's. which I've been using for over 35 years. BHP is starting to make sense but Kw is still the preferred unit.

MPG? Still no freeking clue what a gallon is, let alone a mile and certainly not arsed to figure it out. l/100km or km/litre make perfect sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I've a Civic and it has a digital display which can interchange between both at the flick of a switch. Trouble is that it makes it too easy to continue to use the old mph system. I've tried to change but can't get used to kph.

Shouldn't really have a choice but I imagine it's cheaper to use the one console for Eurpoean and US markets rather than manufacture 2 separate units.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Only 24 but use imperial :) Every distance sign I divide by 10 multiply by 6. Add one for every 40km. I don't even think about it anymore it's automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm dual use myself...I measure and relate distances in miles...a KM has very little actual meaning to me.
    I use MPG for my consumption, as I find it much easier to equate than L/100km (even though it's years since petrol was even sold by the gallon).
    Speed, I use KMph (although my speedo is mph with the small secondary KM dial) since that's what's on the signage.
    I can work in either (same when it comes to any imperial/metric system) but I just prefer it the above way...

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Im 21, and even though I was never formally taught the Imperial system, i use it for most things, its far easier to understand and more practical.

I still use feet for my height, stones for my weight, pounds getting rashers in the butchers, and MPH in the car.

The imperial system has its failings, but it is easier to understand than metric. Its easier to VISUALISE imperial measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Only 24 but use imperial :) Every distance sign I divide by 10 multiply by 6. Add one for every 40km. I don't even think about it anymore it's automatic.

Except i divide by 8 and multiply by 5. More accurate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Lauder wrote: »
    I still use feet for my height, stones for my weight, pounds getting rashers in the butchers, and MPH in the car.

Indeed, I remember getting strange looks at a butcher counter asking for 200gm of mince :(
    Lauder wrote: »
    Its easier to VISUALISE imperial measures.

Not realy, it's just easier to visualize what you are used to as you have reference points and you're able to compare them in your own mind
    Look at rugby, in newspaper articles they sometimes list player as maybe 1m 90cm and 92kg in their previews
    Now if you know the player, it's easy to see. :)

I know I'm 1m 77cm but I've no idea what's that in feet & inches. Works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Had gotten used to feet/inches/mph after moving here. Prefer km/m/cm to miles, can't see the sense in XX inches XX/XX of an inch.

When driving I convert to mph because at a glance its the easiest to see on the speedo. Can't relate to L/100km, MPG I can in the sence that I know higher is better but not in how far it takes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I'm 18, typically being brought up in school with metric measurements (construction,engineering, phyics, maths) I would prefer now-adays to use metric. I can relate speeds in either and I can't ger my head around yards,inches etc!
    was looking at tiles today for the bathroom per yard.. the guy got pissed when I asked him if he knew metre squared!

My car is in mph but the car I first drove was an 06 so it was metric all the way.
    Like most the whole L/100km is annoying and is the only measurement i'd prefer imperial to simply because it's easier!

Km/h Ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 65,023 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I use them all, some a bit more than others. The only one I never liked using (and have most difficulty converting to without a calculator) was the l per 100km...
    Pete4779 wrote: »
    l per 100km is a bit insane though. It makes more sense to have km per litre, so you know immediately with 10 litres I can travel x km.

You're journey is 78km, how much fuel do you put it when you only understand l/100km? It's counterintuitive.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I use both systems every day, whatever the punter prefers...

Metric all the way IMHO, far simpler.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

peasant wrote: »
    Fully metric here, always have been. Only since I moved here did I have to grapple with miles, mpg and my personal bugbear ...feckin' inches and fractions thereof.

Having said that, Im not completely "modern" either. I still can't think in kw and much prefer the old fashioned PS and I guess I will never fill my tyres with x hectopascal of air ...bar all the way.

Thankfully bar is metric and an accepted measurement to use within the SI system (but isn't the SI unit obviously). PSI, on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

mikemac wrote: »
    They stopped teaching the imperial system in school over twenty years ago.

I suppose it was easy for me as I wasn't long driving when the metric system was introduced. So I switched straight away.

I started learning to drive only after the metric came in yet I would still tend to use imperial when talking about speed. Why I'm not too sure, probably a) becuase the speedo's primary reading in miles and b) becuase most people still use miles (at least I find), so using k's would just be arkward.

Saying that I can convert them easily enough in my head, but default thinking is miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm still on miles/ mpg etc.

I wish I could understand that whole litres per kilometer, but I couldn't be arsed. I haven't come across one person/customer who has asked me the consumption in litres per kilometer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,023 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I haven't come across one person/customer who has asked me the consumption in litres per kilometer.

I'm not surprised ;)

Advertisement