Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn those Nazis for taking the swastika from religion :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean OP, you can't even burn a cross anymore without someone getting up you're bum about it.

Seriously though I hate the fact that people are ignorant about stuff like that, it is a religous symbol and people need to respect that. I wonder how Germany feels about Buddism?

I've actually contacted my German law friend and this is what he found (in regards to religious uses of the swastika in Germany):

§ 86 a StGB. So, here's the deal:

It is forbidden to use symbols of unconstitutional organisations. The Nazi Swastika is by definition one of these symbols. Hence, of course and like you said, the Nazi Swastika is forbidden.

In addition, the Code says that it is forbidden to use symbols that are so similar that an objective observer might find them to be a symbol of an unconstitutional organisation. It has been decided that this was the case for deformed, split and even crossed out swastikas. So if people were wearing a button with a crossed out swastika they would be punishable under 86 a StGB. However, this particular decision has been reversed by the highest criminal court. Nevertheless, you can see that using a swastika in whatever way, shape or form can get you into trouble really fast. There has been an investigation against a clothings company because their clothes racks looked similar to swastikas.
    I did not find a decision concerning symbols that are used for religious purposes. However, applying the standard of an "objective observer who might find the symbol to be of an unconstitutional organisation" I am quite sure that those signs are covered and may not be used in Germany. This makes sense to me since otherwise Neonazis would use those symbols at their demonstrations. I think the legislator thought of that case and excluded it.

So it may appear that Buddhist/Hindu etc. temples probably can't make use of those symbols in Germany.

...I suppose it doesn't help that Buddhist monks shave their heads too (or conversely for the Neo-Nazis, what a delightful coincidence :mad: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Well you do realise that regardless of the previous meaning it will always be associated with the Third Reich.The effects of World War II are still being felt and seen today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It may have being around since the time of the Eygytians but it will always be associated with the Nazis yes .

Advertisement