Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave me alone, Jesus!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Húrin wrote: »
    Maybe I should write a rant about living and working in a place full of atheists.

If you find it that bad why not move somewhere else?

Like the Christianity forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think they would have choose you on the basis your Catholic, most other Christian groups don't seem to like them. Maybe it's because they have the strictest rules but completely ignore them while looking down their noses at the rest of the Christians.

I don't think you'll have a problem, it could be fun in fact. It's a job anyway, your not supposed to like it and going into work winding up Christians could be a great job. I don't think you should tell them your an atheist, pretend to be Christian and see how far you can push them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jakkass wrote: »
    OP: Seriously, why do you bother living in the USA if you know it's going to be like this? It's a part of US culture that Christianity is a big factor in peoples lives. It's just something you're going to have to tolerate?
    Was that a serious question?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Overheal wrote: »

I think so. Maybe he doesn't believe in the existence of non religious Americans.:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

OP: Seriously, why do you bother living in the USA if you know it's going to be like this? It's a part of US culture that Christianity is a big factor in peoples lives. It's just something you're going to have to tolerate?

The OP is talkng about a form of religious discrimination. That's what not getting a job because of a faith or lack thereof means. I would be of the opinion that no one, anywhere, SHOULD have to put up with it. OverHeal is perfectly entitled to be annoyed if it happens.

How you you feel if tomorrow the Irish government decided everyone who was Catholic would not be allowed to work anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

SDooM wrote: »
    The OP is talkng about a form of religious discrimination. That's what not getting a job because of a faith or lack thereof means. I would be of the opinion that no one, anywhere, SHOULD have to put up with it. OverHeal is perfectly entitled to be annoyed if it happens.

How you you feel if tomorrow the Irish government decided everyone who was Catholic would not be allowed to work anymore?

That wasn't the only thing in the OP. Part of the issue was the profound cultural Christianity (I'm not going to get into whether or not many peoples expressions of it are valid or invalid, as that is irrelevant really) in the USA, and Overheals apparrent inability to tolerate it.

As for job interviews, most people keep their religion out of interviews and out of their job. Of course the Bible does promote industrious work and that could be an indirect effect of faith in the workplace but generally it isn't mentioned in such an environment. There is no need to declare that you are an atheist if you are seeking a job.
    Overheal wrote: »

Yes, it was. If the USA was so bad, you would have considered leaving surely? Or indeed if South Carolina as a state was so bad you could have moved up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dave! wrote: »
    I used to love Seventh Heaven.... All the girls in it were f*cking rides....

Not so. There was that one with the two lazy eyes, who went on to become a pastor. Half the time, I wasn't sure who see was talking to...the camera or one of her fellow cast members.

I propose that the OP lies to get work in the Christian Chicken Outfit. You become a devout Christian. Then a few weeks later, grow a beard, shun alcohol and ask them to accommodate your Friday prayer sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That wasn't the only thing in the OP. Part of the issue was the profound cultural Christianity (I'm not going to get into whether or not many peoples expressions of it are valid or invalid, as that is irrelevant really) in the USA, and Overheals apparrent inability to tolerate it.

If the USA was so bad, you would have considered leaving surely? Or indeed if South Carolina as a state was so bad you could have moved up north.
    I resent that in its entirety.

Firstly that different expressions of Christianity would be valid or invalid - only to your point of view. Not theirs. Your expression of faith is no more valid than mine (or lack thereof).

Second, I am not intolerant of religion. Having lived in Ireland for 8 years and spent 6 in a Catholic school.

Finally, that I should respect a double standard: That I should have to give a wide berth to religion, while in the culture and media free thinkers like me are coming under more and more criticism and attack. That I should have to feel uprooted from my own Country. No.

I am allowed to gripe and wish that everyone would just keep their beliefs to themselves. I do not come in here and get entrenched in these pointless fcuking anti-theist debates. I am happy with my beliefs and I am happy to allow others to have theirs. However, I do not or would not support the actions of a commercial business that advertised itself as a Religion-Free Zone, in the same way I could not fully respect a business that promotes a religion irrelevantly.

And so I will gripe.

Because I do not want to invite confrontation, but I also believe I should be allowed to freely express I am an Atheist (since so many people around here (anywhere in the country) seem happy to advertise their personal relationship with Jesus), you can see my problem. Its suffocating because so often (as we've seen here on boards) if you put a self-identified religious and a non-religious person in a room, the probability that they will enter into an uncomfortable theological argument reaches 1. I don't want to enter theological debate, I just want to use the Cardio Room in peace. However, the probability that I will wear atheist identifying paraphenelia, bumper stickers, etc. when surrounded by other religious parephenelia, bumper stickers, etc. will also reach 1.. So as you can conclude, my beliefs will at some stage cause me trouble. Whether its in the Chik-Fil-A the YMCA or somebody key'ing my car, it will not end well.

:|

edit: An example of the crazy **** that goes on in this country

http://robopope.deviantart.com/journal/24332949/
    Robopope wrote:
    Is anyone familiar with those ultra-conservative Christian groups that go around to colleges and "preach" their message of hate? You know the type, the ones with the big signs who list everyone they think is going to Hell, the ones who scream at passers by, particularly women. Well, one of those guys came to Penn State last Thursday. I've always wanted to mess with these guys, and since I'm a graduating senior it was my last chance. I ran home from Russian class and threw on my Soviet commissar's uniform, grabbed my flag and headed back out to confront the bible thumpers. By the time I had gotten there, the Penn State Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual Alliance was there, and so was the Atheists and Agnostics club. I was an instant success, drawing more attention to myself than to the radicals. I was even photographed and interviewed by the Collegian, Penn State's student newspaper. The only reason I was there, I told them, was to make the preachers look silly. I did a pretty good job of it. I was in character the whole afternoon, waving my big Soviet flag and spouting ridiculous Soviet propaganda, springboarding off of some of the radicals' more ridiculous claims. All in all, it was a great day.

You gotta smile at the dedication :)

Oh and btw Mr. Jakkass Penn is much farther north....

Advertisement