Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave me alone, Jesus!

Options
  • 17-04-2009 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭

I am sick of this now.

I've been back in the states 9 months now. I lived in Ireland for 8 years. Mm'kay?

You'd think Ireland would be more oppressively religious? With all the Catholic stuff floating around? The crosses all over the landscape, them churces, the Catholic School I went to For Six Years?

I get back here to the US and its like... Jesus Christ, people. God is Everywhere so lets put him everywhere?!?!

I wanted to look into joining the gym today - look, the YMCA. Utilizing Christian Values to promote Health and Well being.

Got a job interview tomorrow because I'm broke. Guess who? Chik Fil A. Famous among fast food chains why? Its the only one that closes on Sunday, given the founder's strong religious beliefs, which have apparently been indoctrinated heavily into company policy.

Thats not even to mention the media and the fcuked up political system where you can't go 2 days without hearing the name Jesus H Christ.

I might understand why Stalin and Hitler did it. Because right now (not seriously) I could shoot some mother ****ers. Mainly because I know that if I identify myself as an Atheist, guess who won't get that job? I need that job. And if they ask me upfront, I'm going to have to tell them, because you don't need to be religious to have moral fibre, and beyond that I can see it unfolding into a bad episode of seinfeld where my co-workers would drag me to church every sunday for prayers and hot dogs.

Fcuk my life.

Edit: And do you know what I just realised? That they probably only considered my application because of the reference that I lived in Ireland for a few years - they probably think I'm a devout little Catholic... Oh boy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yikes, i can only imagine!

i got heaps of grief off the kiwis when i got here, soooo many catholic ireland references, and i look around here, and you literally can't go 5 blocks without some sort of church, mostly different sects of christians and spiritualists. got a newspaper from seventh day adventists in the mailbox the other day too.

my fella's informed me that apparently it's particularly fun to burn them in front of the person delivering them, if you're lucky enough to catch them, and after reading some of the complete tripe in there, (turns out these guys don't like catholics at all :pac:), i 'd be quite tempted.

against the law here (except one town down the south, for some reason i cannot even begin to start to comprehend) for most big businesses to be open on good friday AND easter sunday. ffs, there were barely even any chocolate eggs to be had! at least good aul catholic ireland's mostly just in it for the chocolate.

even made front page news, some christian 'family first' group first off tried to ban the TV show californication (consequently giving us a heads up that there was a tv show with lots of sex and boobies in it coming our way soon) and not content with causing a fuss about that, then called on all christians to boycott the companies who had the audacity to advertise during primetime viewing hours when the show was on. :rolleyes: the sad bit is that one company actually did apologise and withdraw ads for the duration of that show.

i think in ireland, religion is mostly just taken for granted, the vast majority of people having been brought up as or around catholics, and just don't tend to think about it all that much... but nz has the highest atheist count in the world, afaik, but it has a lot more crazy cult like religious sects too. ireland is nice and middling, i think, but kiwiland takes it to extremes both sides.

so yes...thanks for the space to rant, overheal...
    best of luck finding a job... and for future implications... i kinda hope it's not the job you've mentioned there.. (but seriously, best of luck with the jobhunting.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Try clicking your heels and saying there's no place like home :)

Best of luck with the interview.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Overheal wrote: »
    Got a job interview tomorrow because I'm broke. Guess who? Chik Fil A.
    If you get the job and the religious customers try to indoctrinate you, just smile and give them the bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Jesus H Christ.
    Out of curiosity what does the H stand for I wonder.

Anyway best of luck with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

fitz0 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what does the H stand for I wonder.

Harold

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Horacio

Overheal, do a Mr. T on it and hang 200 crosses round your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Dave! wrote: »
    Harold

"The H stands for Harold, as in, "Our Father, who art in heaven, Harold be thy name"

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/30/why-do-folks-say-jesus-h-christ

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

South Carolina according to wiki:

- Protestant: 84%
    - Southern Baptist: 45%
    - Methodist: 15%
    - Presbyterian: 5%
    - Other Protestant: 19%
    - Roman Catholic: 7%
    - Other Christian: 1%
    - Other Religions: 1%
    - Non-Religious: 7%

Welcome to the most hated minority. :pac:

I've only every heard of Chik Fil A in a Ben Folds track. He didn't like it much either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

even made front page news, some christian 'family first' group first off tried to ban the TV show californication (consequently giving us a heads up that there was a tv show with lots of sex and boobies in it coming our way soon)

FATHER_TED_Down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Dades wrote: »
    I've only every heard of Chik Fil A in a Ben Folds track. He didn't like it much either!

Yes, that song's been going around in my head since I read this post.

"Grew a moustache and a mullet, got a job in Chik Fil A" :D

Obviously the haven of rednecks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Right after Catholics. I knew there was a lot of Protestants (what with that show 7th Heaven) but fcuk me and this bible belt i live in :confused:

But no theres kind of a difference between a leaflet in your inbox (which you get in Ireland too - very easy to shred or trash or better yet, Recycle! \o/ ) And trying to find work or use a place of business like a gym and finding every 2nd shop you try and use incorporates God or Jesus into it in some way. I mean, I want to join the Y, get fit, and all that. They do a lot of fitness programs, but when theres a comment on the pamphlet about doing it through Christian faith you turn your head and wonder if it isnt an AA meeting for fatties :pac: I mean, folks, if its SO GREAT, do you really NEED to invoke the words God, Christianity or Jesus every 2 minutes? Its like Rudy Guliani tying everything back to 9/11 in his campaign :rolleyes: they have to be aware how off-putting it is. I could understand if a company said:

"we're commited to strong moral fibre and welcoming people of all creeds..."

Instead of

"Yeah...Jesus. That is all. Get it?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I used to love Seventh Heaven.... All the girls in it were f*cking rides....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

If it's getting to you, try and work in some sesquipedalian loquaciousness into your conversations with these people. It will make you feel smart, you'll get to vent your irritation with them, and you won't end up being taken out back and flagellated till you denounce your satani... *cough* Atheism. That is if they don't also have an issue with book learnin', in which case you're screwed :D I like to call it the Calvin v Moe defense :p

19940129.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Theres no need to feel down.
    Pick yourself off the ground.
    'Cause you're in a new town.
    Yadda yadda yadda...
    *Punchline*
    Man, I'm getting lazy...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Overheal... Want to hear the good news or the bad news first? You be the judge which is which.

(1) "Our decision to close on Sunday was our way of honoring God and directing our attention to things more important than our business. If it took seven days to make a living with a restaurant, then we needed to be in some other line of work. Through the years, I have never wavered from that position."
    —S. Truett Cathy

(2) "EAT MOR CHIKIN"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mainly because I know that if I identify myself as an Atheist, guess who won't get that job? I need that job. And if they ask me upfront, I'm going to have to tell them

I can't believe they would actually ask you that as if it was relevant to the job task. Surely if they did there is some equality compaints board you can bring it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

It is illegal to ask that question at a job interview, afaik. It's certainly illegal to discriminate on the basis of religion/lack thereof. Don't answer it. I do like their chikin, though. :pac:

Edit: move north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Maybe I should write a rant about living and working in a place full of atheists.

If you find it that bad why not move somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Húrin wrote: »
    Maybe I should write a rant about living and working in a place full of atheists.

Please do!

Húrin wrote: »

I, too, would love to read this! What exactly would your major gripes with this situation be, I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I am sick of this now.

I've been back in the states 9 months now. I lived in Ireland for 8 years. Mm'kay?

You'd think Ireland would be more oppressively religious? With all the Catholic stuff floating around? The crosses all over the landscape, them churces, the Catholic School I went to For Six Years?

I get back here to the US and its like... Jesus Christ, people. God is Everywhere so lets put him everywhere?!?!

I wanted to look into joining the gym today - look, the YMCA. Utilizing Christian Values to promote Health and Well being.

Got a job interview tomorrow because I'm broke. Guess who? Chik Fil A. Famous among fast food chains why? Its the only one that closes on Sunday, given the founder's strong religious beliefs, which have apparently been indoctrinated heavily into company policy.

Thats not even to mention the media and the fcuked up political system where you can't go 2 days without hearing the name Jesus H Christ.

I might understand why Stalin and Hitler did it. Because right now (not seriously) I could shoot some mother ****ers. Mainly because I know that if I identify myself as an Atheist, guess who won't get that job? I need that job. And if they ask me upfront, I'm going to have to tell them, because you don't need to be religious to have moral fibre, and beyond that I can see it unfolding into a bad episode of seinfeld where my co-workers would drag me to church every sunday for prayers and hot dogs.

Fcuk my life.

Edit: And do you know what I just realised? That they probably only considered my application because of the reference that I lived in Ireland for a few years - they probably think I'm a devout little Catholic... Oh boy.

bit presumptuous?

bit presumptuous?

You've never lived in the Dirty South, I take it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well its a bit presumptuous to presume it will come up in the interview. I think I got through my first one ok anywho.

I think my biggest problem will be getting randomly drug screened for singing ♪ Pass the chicken to the Left-hand Side... ♪
    Overheal... Want to hear the good news or the bad news first? You be the judge which is which.

(1) "Our decision to close on Sunday was our way of honoring God and directing our attention to things more important than our business. If it took seven days to make a living with a restaurant, then we needed to be in some other line of work. Through the years, I have never wavered from that position."
    —S. Truett Cathy

(2) "EAT MOR CHIKIN"
    I love those cows.

I went on their main website and they put up a much more equal opportunity version of it: http://www.chick-fil-a.com/#closedonsundays wont let me copy-paste so you can just click. Basically they say "Employees should have an opportunity to rest, spend time with family and friends, and worship if they choose to do so."

Oh well now, Mister Overheal.

As long as nobody tries to convert me while I'm working there I can promise nobody will be covered in 3rd degree peanut oil burns ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

As long as nobody tries to convert me while I'm working there I can promise nobody will be covered in 3rd degree peanut oil burns ;)

Just carry fliers for 6 random religions and hand a different one out everytime they try to tell you about their religion...
    Then say ... "Do on to others... read them and consider them as seriously as you want me to take yours, or else you a hypocrite..."

*one flier must be for the Reformed Church of Satan... it's like Russian Roulette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

remember they're gods chickens nuggets

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

2Scoops wrote: »
    I, too, would love to read this! What exactly would your major gripes with this situation be, I wonder?

Maybe he'd hate how they prioritise things like enjoyment and dedication to the mundane, everyday things in life. It's as if they claim to know better than god and worship false idols of money and laughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

I would relax enjoy the experience and learn as much about them and their crazy ways!

Knowledge of their inner workings is the best ammo if you find yourself cracking and in need of a good argument.

It does sound like the place is like an "Alive!" edition come to life...fun times.

I remember when we moved back to Ireland I thought the palce was very religious. I had gone to a secular non dom school in the UK and the closest catholic church was a 20 min drive away in the city.

Then when we moved back here I was enrolled in a Catholic school and I got an awful fright with all the idols, visits from nuns ans preists and the ammount of class time taken up with mass and religion. I rememeber most of my classmates were anti divorce. I thought that was odd for 9 year olds.....

Ah you cant beat it so just enjoy it and revel in their shock when they realise that non believers are nice genuine hard working members of the community and not just kindling for hell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Seriously, why do you bother living in the USA if you know it's going to be like this? It's a part of US culture that Christianity is a big factor in peoples lives. It's just something you're going to have to tolerate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Jakkass wrote: »
    OP: Seriously, why do you bother living in the USA if you know it's going to be like this? It's a part of US culture that Christianity is a big factor in peoples lives. It's just something you're going to have to tolerate?

Thats not true. The US is a melting pot of all cultures. Christianity is a big part of Christians lives, not everyones.

I lived in Illinois and apart from 2 insane preachers, (one of whom who rudely shouted at my friend "YOU DO NOT LOOK LIKE A HOMOSEXUAL!") there was no visible religious stuff and people didnt discuss it. Current affairs, history and culture were the main issues no religion at all. It was very refreshing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Help me out if I'm wrong here, but is that saying that 176% of people in South Carolina are religious and 7% are non-religious?

Polytheism ftw :pac:

Advertisement