Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IO Trip report. - WARNING Contains Name dropping

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

dealt to jamie gold for about an hour... actually one of the nicer people i dealt to over the weekend.

on a side note, from a dealing trip report point of view, obviously you get to see a fair few players over the course of the weekend. some observations...

conor fennel (tommy gunne) was quality on day 1 and was my pick for a deep run.
    kara scott wins...
    of all the players i dealt to the player i would least like to play against is donal norton. i dealt to him in both the ME and the 1500. he is fearless and happy to make his oppenents life difficult. also, he is an absolute degenerate!! discharging yourself from hospital to play the ME ftw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Trip Report:

Lol leprechaun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Since everyone else is, I thought I may as well too. Here is my trip report on the main event.

I qualified through a live satellite for the third year in a row (this time through Poker Room Tallaght), so I swung out for an hour only on Thursday to pick up some luckbox gear to wear the next day. I had made the mistake of playing the super-sat/ drinking the night before so this time just sampled the atmosphere for an hour and headed home for a good nights sleep. Got up refreshed on the Friday had a nice morning run and a good feed before heading out to the City-west. The plan was to be supertight early and only play with good cards (I hadn’t made it past dinner in my previous two attempts lol). Chatted to a few Dublin regs and was in relaxed mood. Swapped 5% with Flushdraw and spoke a while to Smurph Martin and Doke (Just so you know who I am).
    Anyway got drawn on table 3. I had John Kabbaj and Peter Roche at the table, also Danny McHugh on my immediate left (Nice guy BTW). There were three PP qualifiers playing supertight a Tight Italian on my right and an absolute donkey playing every hand. He quickly built up a stack in the first half hour 3 betting and bluffing but you sensed he could lose it all at any time. My first hand of note was against Mr Donkey when I called him down with AQ on a q high (Flushing) board to add about 3k to my stack. Then, just before the first break at the 50-100level I find AA in the SB facing a raise to 300 from the Donk, I reraised to 800 failing to notice that Peter Roche had already called in the cut-off. Both Called the extra 500 and we went to a flop of 3h5h5x. I bet out 1500, donk folded and Roche pushed in his last 4800 (He had lost the min in a set v set scenario earlier). I called and held against his flushdraw to go to the First break with almost 20k.

Things continued to go well after the break. I busted the donk who had got short by putting him all in with QcKc on a Q hi board with 2 clubs. He called with Q-10 :rolleyes:.
    I then busted Kabbaj (who was playing awful) by Check-raising him all in on a 8c9c2x board after calling his preflop raise from the BB with JcQc. He called with 10-8o and I hit the flush and the Q. I was managing to dominate the others at the table with 3-bets and position play. I built my stack up to around 35k by and was feeling extremely comfortable at the dinner break.

Things continued well after the dinner break until Andrew Pantling was moved into Kabbaj’s old seat. He had a similar stack to me. He proceeded to raise everything and generally act the maniac. He 3-bet my J-J open and bet out on a Q-K flop. He proceeded to 3 bet even the tightest players and call all-ins with marginal hands. He doubled many up and busted others. I was not exactly tight myself but was only playing when he wasn’t involved. Then I got dealt AA in the SB facing one of his raises (850) I made it 2500 to go and he called. We were both playing about 33k. I felt I had him. Flop came out QJ6 rainbow. I was sure he would go for this flop and I could get a check raise in. I checked it to him and he checked back (Damn:mad:). Turn came 7h putting two hearts out there. I bet out 3k and he called. River came Jh. I led out for 5k he raised to 13k I called. He turned over 4h-5h for rivered flush. I felt a bit tilted, I had him on a KQ type had but he didn’t bet the flop. By the river I didn’t know where I was. In retrospect I should have a) bet the flop b)check-called the river.

So by the last break I was down to 15k and it was starting to get tight. I got no hands for about an hour and got blinded down to 12k. I didn’t want to get blinded away and would have been happy with a race but never got the chance. My perspective had changed. With 45 minutes to go in the Day I got dealt Ah-8h in the cut-off. With the blinds at 300-600 50ante I raised to 1800 into Pantlings BB. He made the standard call (was up to around 70k now). Flop came out Qx Kx 8x. He checked and I went to push but chickened out and checked back. Turn came a Rag, check-check. River came A. He checked again. By now I want value for my aces up so put out a 2k bet.. He went all in (wtf??). I thought for about 10 seconds before calling. He shows J-10o for the rivered Straight…gg wp.

I though I played well but for getting too greedy on the AA hand. If I had just bet the flop I might have went on to a big cash, Ah well, you live and learn, Nice to see Pantling when on to finish 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

Ah well.. I may as well give my TR!

Went down on the thursday after a few hours in work, had only just arrived back from Scotland the night before. Quickly re-packed and started on our way.

We took a wander for drinks and the likes on the thursday and Tony introduced me to a few. met Jbravado and Admm, Dom, Smurph and Martin, Kevin and his girfriend Jane and a few other boardsies.

I was back and forth on the Friday keeping my eye on Tony (Nothing whatsover to do with the fact he was sitting at the same table as Michael Greco ;) ) and chatting to Liam Flood who is a really nice guy.

I didnt want to hang around too much, so sat in the bar and played a bit of poker myself since the broadband in the room was dire and my laptop didnt seem to stay connected to anything at all.

Was so disappointed for Tony when he got knocked out on the Saturday and we ended up playing the Wii and having a few drinks for the rest of the night. I happened to just arrive down on the Saturday as I was in agony from a Kidney infection and didnt leave the room (or the loo) all day! Called the hotel Dr to be told that it was 100 bucks to see him and he told me I would need anti-biotics and I refused to go to see him to hear what I already knew! (Get them all the time as I have suspected kidney stones :rolleyes:)

No need to repeat any of what Tony said. But I really enjoyed myself and want to try and qualify next year as you feel a bit left out when everyone is playing around you. I am mainly an online player and want to get loads of live experience in before next year as I have only played live a handfull of times.

The atmosphere was great and it was good to be there and PP ran it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

^^^ Before Yuletired says anything...its good to get a "players wives" report :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Flushdraw wrote: »
    ^^^ Before Yuletired says anything...its good to get a "players wives" report :pac:

Someday shes going to tell a story without mention of bowel movements or intestinal abnormalities!.

Predicted honeymoon report: "So me and Tony were on our last day at the luxury spa resort and on the way out i noticed they were doing a 25% discount on colonic irrigation so i just had to.........:pac:

Someday shes going to tell a story without mention of bowel movements or intestinal abnormalities!.

Predicted honeymoon report: "So me and Tony were on our last day at the luxury spa resort and on the way out i noticed they were doing a 25% discount on colonic irrigation so i just had to.........:pac:

Oh you are so f'kn funny! I wouldnt need that treatment since the whole idea of it scares the sh1t out of me anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Serena08

Great trip reports sounds like a great experience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

Really enjoyed reading all the trip reports too!

Newbie2 was the most enjoyable - because its the one I can relate to: 'first BIG game' starstruck and all that... I've all that ahead of me (I hope!) The rest of ye have me :eek::eek::eek: at the amount of poker played/money squandered/ego-bashing ye all got up to in 48 hours... please shoot me before I get that far! :D

WD, WP, GG, UL, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrPreachan

One of most enjoyable reads in ages on poker forum for me. Thanks to all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Thanks for all the reports. Enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ship the post of the day for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

This is a pretty cool slide show from the IO:

http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/slideshows/poker-open/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Flushdraw wrote: »

Gilly Bean you are the NUT funny (as BCB might say). I see you are offically called a WAG by your bare lipped beau, so when do you take the plunge to move from a G to a W? from reading Tonys , it looks like it's been done already, I've been incommunicado for a while so did I miss something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

YULETIRED wrote: »

Gilly Bean you are the NUT funny (as BCB might say). I see you are offically called a WAG by your bare lipped beau, so when do you take the plunge to move from a G to a W? from reading Tonys , it looks like it's been done already, I've been incommunicado for a while so did I miss something.

Nah Willie, you didnt miss anything! I told you already, we'll need someone to crack the jokes and keep the crowd entertained so you wont miss out on a chance to buy a new hat ;)

YULETIRED wrote: »

The ink has not had a chance to dry yet on my Divorce Decree Willie, give me a chance lol. Don't be worrying, we arent running off anywhere for a quiet 'Do. And as Tony says, we thought you would be part of the entertainment .. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

Right my IO trip report.

Got short stacked @ the 150 / 300 level and pushed my last 3K UTG with QQ called in the BB by AQ and he funked a spade on the river to flush me out.

End of report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭con_leche

[HTML]
    The amount of times I folded 77/88/99 that I would normally 3-bet was unbelievable.
    [/HTML]

Well done on making day 2, and sounds like you met lots of nice people, but this is why you never had chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

orly_spock.jpg
    ;)

Advertisement