Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IO Trip report. - WARNING Contains Name dropping

Options
  • 16-04-2009 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd write this up. I know it's a little bit late but I've been drunk!!:eek:
    After winning an IO package on Boylepoker -was really looking forward to playing it and meeting all the players who I've idolised for a number of years. Asked all my mates -what's the best way I should play this? 'Play tight' they said, ' just play AA, KK and QQ', 'shove with them!!'
    Left Bray at about 5pm on Thursday in a taxi to get to Citywest (normally about a 25-30min journey) and it took me over an hour to get there. Traffic sucks to the max. Eventually got to the hotel on the assurance from Ciaran Corbett (WP man) that ipoker had booked me a room from the Thursday to the Monday - Here's hoping! There was. 'Great stuff' I thought
    Checked in and made my way to my room. The first 4 people I passed in the lobby were. Padraig Parkinson, Rory Liffey, Dan Harrington and David Colclough. 'Bollix' I thought. 'This is going to be tough'.

Got to my room and was immediately convinced that I had been here before. The bathroom looked very familiar. 'I'm sure I've puked into that before' I commented. Unpacked, with the full intention that I wasn't going to see my wife for at least 5 days, and set up my laptop. Free broadband! If by broadband you mean 20mbps! Got my krap together and then got a text from Lisa from Boyles (wp gg) "Hi, I'm at the bar with Padraig Parkinson, having a drink if you would like to join us?"
    'Having a drink' I thought
    'Absolutly!'
    ]Got changed and legged it down to the bar. Stealing Jamie Gold's lift as I ent. Called Lisa, found her and was introduced to Padraig, his better half - the lovely Véronique, Rory Liffey, Brendan Murray from Cardplayer magazine, Walter (another Boyle poker qualifier) and his wife, Sinead. Lisa bought me a couple of drinks and all of a sudden I was in my element. If you've heard it before it's true. PP is a fcukin' nice guy. Next thing I know, ex-champ Neil Channing comes over and has a drink with us. Some of you know where I work and know that I don't get star struck - but I was close to falling over my lower jaw at this point.

I was getting hungry and so was Rory and PP. (note: I'm on 1st name terms now) so we decided to go and get something to eat. Surprisingly only I, Lisa, PP, Veronique and Rory went for food. I don't know if I was pushing my luck here - acting like a groupie! But in fairness I was hungry and IMO there's no food like food with pro poker players.
    I felt the dinner went well for me. Got to know the lads a little better and as I suspected they were very much salt of the earth - nice people. Had a bit of crack over a bottle of wine and a nice Asian. (No, no, no, not that sort of Asian!) Funnily enough, It was only myself, Veronique ad Lisa drinking. A point that would come crashing home at about 4p.m. the next day.
    After dinner got back to the bar and met up with another Boyle qualifier. Nice guy seemed very interested in what Scott Gray had to say. Rory went to bed and so did PP+V. 'Jees, they're going to bed early' I thought.
    Surinder Sunar then came over to chat. 'FFS' I exclaimed, 'He's here too'. After about an hour (could have been 5 - was pretty well gone by now), Marty Smyth and his fiancée, Karen join us. ''Fcuk me''. Had a few words with Marty (Very nice guy BTW) but spoke a lot to Karen. (Another very nice person) Congrats BTW to the both of you if you bother reading this! Thing are a little hazy from this point on, but my overwhelming memory was the one question that I asked every pro I met. "Any advice for me?" Funnily enough it was the same answer. “Just play your own game; if you've qualified online then you're obviously a player who understands how to play poker

Great I thought. -Now whose advice to follow.?..?....?...?..
    Got up on Good Friday (nothing good about it IMO) at about 1.30pm. Kick off was at 2pm. Couldn't eat as I had the mother of all hangovers. Walked into the poker room and grabbed a bottle of water. 'WOW', 'Look at the size of it'. Then I looked at the room. The room was huge, and all the tables laid out with plenty of room between them. The draw was done and I was at a table in the mid 40's.

Sat down and off we went. The only other player on my table I recognised was Nik Persaud. Although there was an American young guy, a sweed, a Russian, an English online pro and a couple of older Irish guys, I figured I could make it to the next day. 16 minutes in and I picked up my first hand, AJ spades on the button. Folded around to me and I raise it up to 3 times the BB. SB and BB call. Flop comes TQA all clubs. 'FFS' I thought. SB checks and BB pots it. I call. I know I'm doing the exact opposite to what I should, but I have really no idea at this stage as nerves and a hangover take its toll. Turn comes a Kd. BB leads for pot again. OK I've hit my straight but I'm really not happy about it. I don't want to be in this position this early in the tourney. 'WTF' I panic. I call. - I don't want my HH torn apart here BTW. I'm just trying to illustrate how the tourney affected my (no existent) thought process. River comes another K. Well that really is sh1t for me. BB leads for pot again. The sweat at this stage is dripping off me and I must be tattooing my hand on my forehead. I can't put the BB on AK/TT and I have a small disbelief that he flopped a flush. I feel his river bet is a busted flush bet, but I don't want to shove here as there are a lot of hands that beat me. I elect to call and he shows KJ of clubs for a flopped RF. 'Poxy donkaments'I think and decide to play uber tight for the rest of the day.
    What a mistake that was going to be

For the rest of the day I played mega tight. Hoping for AA/KK/QQ. Any of these I was comfortable shoving. Suffice to say that I got none of these all day. Dinner came along and I was on 5.1k (starting 10k). Rang a mate of mine (Lurker1977) and was pretty distressed. ''I was not playing my game. I was playing way too tight''. ''OK'' he said. ''You know what to do''.

Back after dinner, and 3 hands in I looked down at QQ. Shove. No callers. 2 hands later - QQ again - shove. No callers. Did this about once every 7/8 hands (in position) and never got a caller. Nik commented ''WTF happened to you at dinner, you're a different player''.

About 10.30pm the table is broken and I'm moved to a table with Andrew Pantling. He has about 90,000 to my 12,000. ''Ah well It could be worse''. Again I chose to shove any good hand and got no callers until the end of the evening. By then though blinds were 400/800 50ante and I had **** all. Every shove was folded to me so picking up the blinds and antes was ok but not what I wanted. At 15 mins until the end of day 1 I was shoving nearly every hand I could but nobody was calling. It all ended and I had 5200 chips at the end of day 1. ''Fcuk''

Went straight to bed but was awake pretty much most of the night as I was trying to figure out exactly how wide my shoving range was. I concluded that it was pretty wide

Day 2 and I felt a little better. I didn't have a hangover, but I was tired. I logged onto the IrishOpenBlog and found my new table. What I was surprised at is that I wasn't the short stack of the Tourney. I was third off the bottom! I also found out that I was at a table with a player that I play a pub tourney with every Tuesday - Robert Nolan. I felt good about this as I would be a little, more relaxed at the table.

Went down to the bar and met up with Robert and his wife, Geraldine. Who was still in too. Also met up with another payer who I play with on Tuesdays - he was still in too. Great showing form the Wicklow crowd. Spoke to Rory and PP and found that they were both out. LOL - I outlasted the pros!!

Ordered a toasted special from the bar but didn't get it for about 30 mins - I think it was amateur night for teh bar staff. Ate that, and went into to poker room. At this stage the cash games are rocking. Loads of players who IMO hadn't even stopped since last night. Sat down at the table and immediately felt comfortable. First hand I'm UTG+1 and Robert is UTG. I look down at AJ sooted. The BB is the other short stack. He started the day with 5600 - 400 more than me. But with the BB and antes, he's now on 4750. I shove and it gets around. Robert comments - 'a sign of things to come?' And I reply 'Yep'. I shove the next 4 hands and pick up a few chips. Before you know it I'm on 12k!! Card dead or a few other moves before me over the next couple of hours and I’m way down. The blinds go up to 1000/2000 50ante and I know I'm bollixed. With 3k left Robert raises to 4k. I look down at K9spades and elect to call. I'm sure I'm behind, but it's the first picture card I've seen in 4 hands and I'm the BB in 2. Another player calls and I stand up - I know I need a lot of help here. Flop comes A25 with 1 spade. Robert shoves and the other caller folds. I know I'm way behind but let everyone know that I've runner runner flush. No help on turn and river, but I'm happy that the chips go to Robert and not some Brit

I'm out and decide rather than play the cash games, I'll go home and have a G&T and see my wife. Taxi please.

All in all I had a great time at the IO. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Boylepoker for all their help. Esp. Lisa and Ciaran. I know now that you can't wait for cards to come at you at these things. You have to play your own game. FFS, The amount of times I folded 77/88/99 that I would normally 3-bet was unbelievable. Next year will be different.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I'm not reading that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

if paragraphs could have aids....it wouldnt look like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm not reading that

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Preview your post ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Fixed. FFS Didn't realise doing sh1te in word then Copying and pasting would be soooo much hassle. I even added hyperlinks for those of you who didn't know who Dan Harrington was.....:rolleyes:

Me=Gimp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Ask Rob to delete that quote before he blinds us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

newbie2 wrote: »
    Things are a little hazy from this point on, but my overwhelming memory was the one question that I asked every pro I met. "Any advice for me?" Funnily enough it was the same answer. “Just play your own game; if you've qualified online then you're obviously a player who understands how to play poker

16 minutes in and I picked up my first hand, AJ spades on the button. Folded around to me and I raise it up to 3 times the BB. SB and BB call. Flop comes TQA all clubs. ...some betting occurs... I elect to call and he shows KJ of clubs for a flopped FH. 'Poxy donkaments'I think and decide to play uber tight for the rest of the day.

Something doesnt quite add up here..........:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

Don't mean to offend but this is perhaps the most uninteresting, self indulgent drival of a thread Ive ever read.

Its just a poker tournament.

Wasted 8 minutes of my life reading this. Do I know you?

You're UNREAL!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I enjoyed reading it (once the formatting was fixed), it was a nice story of someone playing in a big tournament for the first time. I had a similar experience where I won a satellite into the IO years ago. I think it was 2004 and was held in the Merrion. I was just starting to play poker and I can only imagine how bad I was!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Don't mean to offend but this is perhaps the most uninteresting, self indulgent drival of a thread Ive ever read.

You're UNREAL!

What did you expect it to be, a hand for hand chronicle including thought processes all the way? It was fairly obvious early on in reading it that it was a 'my view of my first big event' type post, and I thought it worked pretty well at doing that. Also, you should learn to read without moving your lips and using your finger if it took you 8 minutes to read that. ;)

Chill Winston, every thread does not have to be serious and outline how players try to angle shoot in order to gain an advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I enjoyed reading it (once the formatting was fixed), it was a nice story of someone playing in a big tournament for the first time. I had a similar experience where I won a satellite into the IO years ago. I think it was 2004 and was held in the Merrion. I was just starting to play poker and I can only imagine how bad I was!

Exactly. I have never played one that big (or anywhere near it) and I shudder to think how far out of my depth I would be. But I'd still love the experience.

You're UNREAL!

Jeez Rory that's a bit harsh.

It's an interesting read of how a big tourney atmosphere can really affect a player unused to it. I, for one, enjoyed it and I am obviously not the only one. To be honest Rory your post having a go at him is more self-indulgent than his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

You're UNREAL!
    Have you read your blog?

You and your poker buddies represent everything thats wrong with poker IMO.

If you dont like it GTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,213 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭maloney333

You're UNREAL!

I read this forum alot and post the odd time here and there, but i find myself reading alot posts along these lines!
    This is a public internet forum for poker player with the love and passion for the game, this is obviously a report from a guy who won a ticket to the Irish open and was excited at playing with the ''big players'' and giving his view on his experience, which I found a good read.

what are you achieving writing a stuck up self indulgent reply like this??
    DO I KNOW U?? or better question ''SHOULD I NO YOU''??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

I'd like to see a few more non-pro Boardies throw up their impressions\experience of playing the IO.

good read except I had no clue who most of the 'dropped' names are

and Rory is probably just suffering from exam tilt imo

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Have you read your blog?

You and your poker buddies represent everything thats wrong with poker IMO.

If you dont like it GTFO.

Firstly, apologies to the opening post. I was more having a go in jest than actually having a go.

However, Eoghan. Do I know you? I don't believe I have had the pleasure yet? To say that I represent everything wrong with poker is a but lewd. A sweeping statement like that surely needs to be backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Chri*st Rory, you really need to relax... the guy is telling a story about his first major event, and to be fair to him, I thought it made for a great read. You really need to chill a bit

Between this post, and slowrolling in the S.E. at the Irish Open Satellite, you are certainly picking up some distasteful traits.

Using the excuse that "I don't mind being slowrolled so It's okay to slowroll other people"..was stupid

the guy you slowrolled "Paul Daly" actually turned around to the guy beside him and said "that's why I don't bother playing live much, because of arrogant young pr*cks like him"

My highlight of the weekend, was Jessy May walking by and going "How's it going smurph":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway Newbie2, great trip report, sounds like you had a great weekend. See you at the tables soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

A nice post and wp. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thats what the day is all about. Next time stay away from the beer and play your own game.

I remember playing my first big event (which I won) and it was the highlight of my poker life for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

smurph wrote: »
    Chri*st Rory, you really need to relax... the guy is telling a story about his first major event, and to be fair to him, I thought it made for a great read. You really need to chill a bit

Between this post, and slowrolling in the S.E. at the Irish Open Satellite, you are certainly picking up some distasteful traits.

Using the excuse that "I don't mind being slowrolled so It's okay to slowroll other people"..was stupid

the guy you slowrolled "Paul Daly" actually turned around to the guy beside him and said "that's why I don't bother playing live much, because of arrogant young pr*cks like him"

My highlight of the weekend, was Jessy May walking by and going "How's it going smurph":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway Newbie2, great trip report, sounds like you had a great weekend. See you at the tables soon

You slowroll Paul Daly!! one of the nicest guys in poker...hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

You're UNREAL!
    Firstly, apologies to the opening post. I was more having a go in jest than actually having a go.

LOL!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Firstly, apologies to the opening post. I.
    Apology accepted.
    Jeez, I didn't realise that a trip report from an amature player on his first exploits in a big tourney would cause soooo much crap. Anywho, glad some of you liked it. See you at the tables.....

Agh here, I best nip this in the bud.

Apologies to op and to everyone else offended. I am a bit tilty. Down a few buy ins and have essays to be handed in. I felt like a bit of controversy and a laugh really.

I am indifferent to the post and shouldn't of wrote anything like that. I do hate the medium of the internet forum because you can never tell the mood or tone of the poster.

Smurph, I do apologise for the slowroll. I was bored and I did apologise to him after, which he accepted.

I don't feel like I have to defend myself here. I have a wide range of friends across the poker scene. Those that know me, know I'm quite a modest and respectful player.

Apologies once again and hope they are accepted.

Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Apologies to op and to everyone else offended. I am a bit tilty. Down a few buy ins and have essays to be handed in. I felt like a bit of controversy and a laugh really.

I am indifferent to the post and shouldn't of wrote anything like that. I do hate the medium of the internet forum because you can never tell the mood or tone of the poster.

Smurph, I do apologise for the slowroll. I was bored and I did apologise to him after, which he accepted.

I don't feel like I have to defend myself here. I have a wide range of friends across the poker scene. Those that know me, know I'm quite a modest and respectful player.

Rory

No problem Rory, im sorry for posting up the Slowrolling story, probably the wrong place, im having one of those weeks myself..... New goverment cunning plans are causing major pressure work wise, if indeed im going to have any work at all soon....

Anyway we'll all go out and hug a tree (I feel a bit like the slowroll prevention police here, lol :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

I enjoyed it too, having never played in anything that big, I can empathise with OP and in fairness he gets his sense of being awestruck/overwhelmed a bit across quite well.
    Maybe it wasn't aimed at "greats" like SJ

"so Herr Hitler, how do you respond to the charge of being a genocidal maniac?"

"well those who know me best say that I am a thoughtful, quiet chap who likes nothing better than helping old ladies across the road and pruning my rose bushes"

"fair enough so"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Rory ya bolllx, :)
    Nice trip report Newbie. Your 1st day of boozing was typical Irishness, why do we do it? Twice I've nearly passed out sitting down and both were the 1st day of a big poker event. I hope you enjoyed it anyway, here's to next year and your A game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Rory

this may be true but your first post made you come across as the nut dickhead

• Advertisement

this may be true but your first post made you come across as the nut dickhead

warning to kids: too much exposure to poker can make you come out with phrases like the above :rolleyes:

Advertisement