Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Early 80's Audi Quattro

Options
  • 16-04-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I love the old 80s Audi Quattros. What do you guys think of this one: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/979449.htm ?

Nearly 200k miles on it and its not the later more powerful version but I like it. Probably just a pipe dream for now with the way the economy and all that is going, but I would like to pick one of these up at some stage as a limited mileage second car. I have a Honda Civic for a daily driver :)

Anyone know what the VRT would be like on it? Its not listed on the revenue site.

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,068 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Ur quattros are retro cool alright :)

Dunno about VRT (based on OMSP). If it is not on the website, you need to get yourself a specific quote from the VRO or risk silly VRT bills once you import the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....mmm, I like. Much. :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Beautiful piece of machinery and a car that always looks good in white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭VWPowered

big fan of the UR's if that tax etc dont sting you then go for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Tax should only be about €700 a year and even then only for a couple of years till it turns 30!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

there's one for sale in Ireland at the moment, or perhaps it has sold.
    http://www.octane.ie/ads/car.php?id=4665

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ashes to Ashes is back on Monday so prices are bound to spike :)

Yeah I saw that one. Nice car with 1/3 the mileage of the one I linked above but a bit pricey for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paulie1981

Hi Stephen,

That's my car advertised on Octane. VRT was about 1,400 (pre July 08) if I remember correctly and road tax is based on the old c.c. system so about €820 per year. Insurance is handy though at about €500 per year through AXA Classic.

They're not "fast" by modern standards, a Golf GTI now has more power now. But is still plenty quick and everything you ever heard about the sound they make is true ;) You would be shocked by how sure-footed the car feels even by modern standards, the grip is still brilliant and the handling safe. I used it every day during the recent snow when my daily driver couldn't make it up the hill out of my estate!!

If you have any more questions just post them here or PM me.
    Stephen wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that one. Nice car with 1/3 the mileage of the one I linked above but a bit pricey for me :)

What kind of fuel economy are you getting out of it? Not a big concern for something that's not a daily driver but interesting nonetheless!

• Advertisement

It's quite good for the type of car. I reckon it's early to mid 20's for regular driving and then mid 30's on a long run. All Turbo quattros were fitted with a long range tank (90 litres!!) so range is no problem.

I bought it to Kilkee in Clare last August bank holiday and I averaged about 37mpg. That said I was being good with the right foot (most of the time anyway ;))

What kind of fuel economy are you getting out of it? Not a big concern for something that's not a daily driver but interesting nonetheless!

I'm also considering a mid-70s BMW 2002 which seems to make more financial sense for me (since it would qualify for classic VRT/motor tax rates). Not quite as cool as the Quattro :)

Such as this one in Scotland: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/947197.htm
    He's asking £3k for it. 111k miles and looks to be in good condition judging by the photos. There's some cheaper ones on Pistonheads but they don't look as good and usually aren't ti/tii models. The few Irish ones I've seen on Carzone seem to be asking for way more money even if you take the hassle of importing into account.

Anyone know what the story is with a UK car that's out of tax when you're exporting it? Do you need to get the previous owner to tax it so that you can drive to the ferry without getting nabbed by ANPR cameras?

Nice car. I know a guy who's about to take delivery of a fully restored Turbo. He won't tell me how much he paid but I reckon it'd get you close to a new 3 Series!!

The Audi hadn't been taxed in quite a few years but the previous owner had to retain a private plate that was on it so he had to tax and MOT it. It's not the ordeal (or the cost) that it is here because in the UK when you sell a car, you can claim back the balance of the road tax paid. Unlike here where you hand it over to the new owner!!

For that reason it's worth doing for peace of mind, especially on an old car. A ferry booking and an Irish address might get around the tax issue but it's the additional attention to lights, tires etc. that being stopped might draw.
    I'm also considering a mid-70s BMW 2002 which seems to make more financial sense for me (since it would qualify for classic VRT/motor tax rates). Not quite as cool as the Quattro :)

Such as this one in Scotland: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/947197.htm
    He's asking £3k for it. 111k miles and looks to be in good condition judging by the photos. There's some cheaper ones on Pistonheads but they don't look as good and usually aren't ti/tii models. The few Irish ones I've seen on Carzone seem to be asking for way more money even if you take the hassle of importing into account.

Anyone know what the story is with a UK car that's out of tax when you're exporting it? Do you need to get the previous owner to tax it so that you can drive to the ferry without getting nabbed by ANPR cameras?

Ah that's not too bad so, I can't see someone turning down a sale over the tax when they can claim the balance back anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

I was stopped by the cops with a car with no tax. They pulled me because I crossed a solid line. They didn't ask about the tax, they just asked about the car and let me go on my way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 whatthe?

A little bit cooler I reckon, I'm selling this out of Dublin if you're interested.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C81741/#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭artic

Nice car, would love it but a little bit out of my price range

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Just wondering, sister is giving me a 1988 audi quattro, 2.3litre, dont have any other details on it..havent seen it yet. any idea on the value. She reckons there is 100,000 left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

There is all sorts of 88 quattros from boring saloons to estates put up a pic or a sample pic

Bigus wrote: »
    There is all sorts of 88 quattros from boring saloons to estates put up a pic or a sample pic

+1

We need more details. Post everything you know about the car and take a good few pics and post them here and you'll get some more specific answers :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    +1

We need more details. Post everything you know about the car and take a good few pics and post them here and you'll get some more specific answers :)
    Sound..It was meant to be delivered ages ago..so I'm going up to collect it at the weekend..should have more specific details and pics then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

www.octane.ie

many thanks was not aware of this site before now, trying to ship a capri and get a change of wheels,

(Mod feel free remove not trying to sell here as i don't have it advertised)

Anyone got pics of a 1988 Audi quattro saloon 2.3? sadly It's not a coup I'm getting:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Sounds like an Audi 80 or 90?

Audi_90q20v.jpg

Sounds like an Audi 80 or 90?

Audi_90q20v.jpg
    It's a 90 I'll be getting

She's not going to be worth big money, mainly due to high road tax. Will you be selling it or running it?

She's not going to be worth big money, mainly due to high road tax. Will you be selling it or running it?
    Selling..I loved to to keep it, but as you said rd tax way to heavy.

Throw up the link when you've her advertised.

Just got the car today (Audi 90 quattro 2.2)..drove it down from sligo..one of the best drives I've had! and it a 88!..going to clean her up and post some pics.

• Advertisement

Please do!

Advertisement