Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media making irish resession worse?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Hear no recession, see no recession, feel no recession!

Maybe they should ban any reports on recession related topics!

Maybe this thread should go :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I mean that your turn on the tv and its the resession. Turn on the radio its the resession . get a newspaper its the resession.resession resession resession resession thats all i hear

And what do you hear from the government? Anything to entrust confidence? Nope. Any signs of them doing something? Nope.

We're in this mess not because of the media, but becuase of indifference to everyday ordinary people and pure greed from the government.
    Everyody's but ours fault should be FF's slogan in future, as they seem professionals at shifting the blame game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

Bloody recession threads are the cause of the recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

do u get taxed when u work in the public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

yeah, its most likely the medias fault that the country is in such a state. Once they mentioned the word "Recession". The silly sheep that most of us are tightened up our belts immediately even if we weren't directly affected at the time. We stop buying so much from the local shops etc,( Because we thought we needed to ) then a whole vicious cycle started.

So basically if they said nothing people wouldn't have tightened their belts and yo get the picture

Bad Media!!

• Advertisement

my mum was gonna buy a new car until she read all about this crashing second hand car market.. so yea, it has added to it.

people havn't stopped buying stuff because they've researched the statistics and figured out by themselves there's a recession.. they read the papers, shít a brick and add to it. human nature really..

exactly

recessions over. open your wallets and buy irish. Gooooooooooooo Ireland

is it just me or does this island fell very small at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

is it just me or does this island fell very small at the moment

Well since we're in recession I think we have to give up some of our unecessary land. Budget cuts and all that. I hear Co. Leitrim is slowly being eroded away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Apparently it has helped in making people aware how to spell recession correctly so it obviously isn't affecting you too much ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Y'know, I'm not even slightly worried about this.

I'm old enough to rem the bad times here.
    One of the last of them to see emigration as the only option.

Went to London in '89. Great! Loadsa work for everyone. Everybody happy!
    It all changed very quick & very sudden only a few months later though.

It was the first time I heard the phrase ' Negative Equaty'.

Still 'twas'nt the end the end of the world, nobody died or anything.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I dont get what all the hubbub is about,when the so called 'boom' of the Celtic Tiger was in effect I was far worse off and so were alot of people I knew,from all walks of life,and Im fairly well educated and have experience,I was working sh*t jobs here and there with temporary contracts,so was only working 6 months at a time for crap,and then there was long periods of unemployment,3-4 months at a time,even my best efforts couldnt get me a job....................................also in terms of living,at the 'booms' peak,I was paying 1300 for a 1 bedroom apartment,and coupled with the bills and shopping and all that malarky I was living on buttons every month,never having a cent for myself..............................................................................but now,Im in a verly well paying stable job,and am renting a 3 bedroom house for 900 a month,and the cost of living is incredibly lower then it was 2 years ago,grocery shopping is f*ck all thanks to the likes of Lidl and Dunnes,bills are cheaper,and all the little mod-cons like laptops,televisions,stereos and the likes are gettign cheaper by the day,I have afew hundred quid handy every month,have to say,life is good,anyone suffering because of the economy my heart goes out to you,but Im getting a break after years of bleakness and misery during the so called 'boom' times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Do you think the media is making this resession worse for us all by dragging the country through the mud ?

You're right. The media should behave like an Irish family, ignore the elephant in the living room and pretend to the neighbors that everything is JUST FINE.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Long may it continue i say. Getting some great bargins at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭deisebabe

How can anyone say that the media are making it worse? Yes people aren't spending as much. why? because they were purchasing things that were unnecessary. Before the talks of recession people weren't following harneys wise advice to "shop around". Instead we stayed shopping in the republic and paying over the odds.
    my mum was gonna buy a new car until she read all about this crashing second hand car market
    If the car was a necessity she would still have bought it. therefore the recession has prevented her from buying something she doesn't need.

Advertisement