Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media making irish resession worse?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Do you think the media is making this resession worse for us all by dragging the country through the mud ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No,the Government dragged us down, now they are hitting us with the bill for bailing them and their once rich cronies out.
    The Media didn't cause any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Do you think the media is making this resession worse for us all by dragging the country through the mud ?

How? Please explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

How can they? They don't govern the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

I mean that your turn on the tv and its the resession. Turn on the radio its the resession . get a newspaper its the resession.resession resession resession resession thats all i hear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I think the OP means that in the same way fear mongering, or "embellishing" the truth, can cause widespread panic. But nio, the media are not making it any worse. maybe if you read the tabloids, but for the most part they're pretty accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Media is making it a bit worse mostly due to the fact that any time of the day you hear one economist or the other depressing us , at this stage i change the channel as soon as they start recession talk. Its draggin people down and the sooner we stop listening to it the better for all our sakes

Dont be surprized if we get a new channel Resession TV

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Recession

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Is it the heads of the banks or the media you're after now?
    Ha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Meh - this recession is kind of a big deal. What do you expect the media to do?
    "World finances ok, nothing to worry about" won't sell many papers.

• Advertisement

I dont need to reminded every 5 min that the country is in the sh*t. Im lucky I still have a job (just got promoted) and my rent has got cheaper by €100 a month . and im gutted that jobs are going every day but wereever i go the topic is recession. its doing my head in now.

I dont need to reminded every 5 min that the country is in the sh*t. Im lucky I still have a job (just got promoted) and my rent has got cheaper by €100 a month . and im gutted that jobs are going every day but wereever i go the topic is recession. its doing my head in now.

So why did you start the threads? Do you think that it might be a self perpetuating thing?

the heads of the banks should be in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Of course - it still comes down to confidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The non stop gloom is not good for the country's morale certainly.
    I dont need to reminded every 5 min that the country is in the sh*t. Im lucky I still have a job (just got promoted) and my rent has got cheaper by €100 a month
    Indeed you certainly don't need to be reminded... :rolleyes:

because its on my mind all day . Out of sight .Out of mind is not working at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

the heads of the banks should be in jail
    You're strong and tough. You'll get through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's run on over-confidence when times are good and fear when times are bad.

Ignore both aspects, find the real answer somewhere in the middle and you won't be far wrong.

Calling us the 2nd richest country around was wrong but at the same we can recover from the current position and things aren't so bad.

mikemac wrote: »
    It's run on over-confidence when times are good and fear when times are bad.

Ignore both aspects, find the real answer somewhere in the middle and you won't be far wrong.

Calling us the 2nd richest country around was wrong but at the same we can recover from the current position and things aren't so bad.

It helps if you think of world markets as small children. In the Celtic tiger era it was play time and some over exhuberant parent laid on too much domino's pizza and coca cola. Now it's dark outside and the door is creaking strangely the kids are crying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wasn't there a thread like this moved to Conspiracy Theories recently?

I could well be wrong.

Dudess' post sums it up really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

The recession is a mind set. If they came out wit some bogus statistics tomorrow and said that everything was fine again, and that we could all start spending again, I'd imagine we would.

A lot of people are just reactionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Of course they are. They are making it a lot worse... By publicising the problems and whatnot, they put fear in people. People start saving and stop spending, no spending = making things even worse. Did they directly effect the country? Did they cause the problems? Nope, they did contribute to them, however small that contribution may have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

OP, yes the media is certainly not helping, I think theyre starting to learn now.
    I think politicians need to start talking more positively too. You need people to spend for a modern capalist economy to work, go on holidays, take out loans, buy a car, go out for dinner, buy that couch you wanted, buy a computer, buy a house (there I said), buy new clothes,

This creates jobs, kicks off other supplier industries, kicks off the transport industry, gets money moving, generates loads of tax, this means Lenihan doesnt have to create levys that piss people off.

Our country is like a good car whose battery was left run out because someone left the lights on all night. Once you push start her, the engine gets running and charges up the battery again, and the car is running as new!!

NOW GET SPENDING,

Oh right I forgot no-one has jobs

I would go and spend my money tomorrow but the news tells me i could lose my job tomorrow and instead of going to the local shop that hasn't seen a customer in days im going to hide my money under the bed incase i have to buy my plane ticket out of here

An File wrote: »
    Wasn't there a thread like this moved to Conspiracy Theories recently?

I could well be wrong.

Dudess' post sums it up really.

:eek:
    NO!
    >_>
    <_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes, the media do go on the wild side with bad news to sell papers but the truth of whats happening should not be overloked and we have a right to know.

I don't remember any threads from 2002-2006 bashing the media for encouraging everyone to binge on credit fuelled debt?

I know people who admit they had crap credit rating when they got the loans and theses are checked by the banks . If a chancer asks for a loan and gets it then its not his fault its the banks fault

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

If you are bankrupt and the media report that you are bankrupt does that make you more bankrupt??? Don't think so!

The entire world is in a sticky patch that just happened to coincide with our economy bouncing back into reality...no harm done.

As Einstein, Beethoven, Jesus or one of the other Beatles said..."Nature has a way of balancing **** out".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

obl wrote: »
    The recession is a mind set.
    No it isn't.
    If they came out wit some bogus statistics tomorrow and said that everything was fine again, and that we could all start spending again, I'd imagine we would.
    Those of us who still have jobs.
    A lot of people are just reactionary.
    And unemployed.

A lot of people are in denial, or lucky enough to still have a job and not empathetic to the many who don't.

I agree, a lack of consumer spending will only help perpetuate the problem, but that's an effect rather than a cause. What's being reported is the truth, and it's news too - even if it's not news that's nice to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

the media isnt to blame, the poxy govenment is, bunch of idiots running the country.

Advertisement