Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting out of ireland !!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

What I find great is that all there other countries want to spend there way out of the resession but our Goverment want to tax the country out of it . And they say that this is just the start. So whoever still has a job will be the victim of more goverment abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

What I find great is that all there other countries want to spend there way out of the resession but our Goverment want to tax the country out of it .

That's not true. Don't take the US and the UK as markers for the rest of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hazys wrote: »
    The boom wasnt a fake, the greed was.

I happen to disagree. While the boom wasn't 'fake', it was blown out of proportion.

What happened was that due to educated workforce (English language even), the low corporation tax and relatively low wages multinational companies came here creating a lot of jobs. That was all that was there which had real substance.

On the back of that an artificial boom was created. A boom that was entirely based on the workforce having more money and spending that money and a lot more - money they didn't actually have yet, and some of them never will - on houses. That drove the hype and made 'the boom' seem a lot bigger than it actually was.

Unfortunately by letting this go with no controls and no steering it drove inflation through the roof, created a hot air balloon of a construction industry and with the increased spending (as if there's no tomorrow) it also inflated other industries and government spending. Spending all round really. But based on what? Wasn't that all of a sudden Ireland actually produced anything like cars, ships, consumer goods or anything. All we had was some multinationals that may be there tomorrow or may be not. Well, we're certainly not a low wages market anymore. All we had was a lot of tax intake from people spending a lot of money they didn't actually have yet.

But how on earth did the government think that this was going to go on forever? I don't think they did. I don't buy for one second that our political class was unable to see all that including the fact that it wasn't going to last. But their priorities weren't about containing the madness and creating a stable future. All they did was to make sure that they themselves and their vested interests (cronies) were going to get the biggest piece of this cake until the bubble bursts and the idiots (thats us, the taxpayers, the electors) remaining money is used to clean up the mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

That's not true. Don't take the US and the UK as markers for the rest of the world.
    user_online.gifreport.gif

Lets have a look at some of the rest of the countries:

UK, USA, Ireland, Iceland - 'Principles' led banking regulation - whatever that means and we now know it means nothing.

Australia, Canada, NZ, Italy, France, Germany, Canada - had properly regulated banking systems.

The first four have no money to spend on infrastructure - deceitful UK with no money is trying to ge the rest of the governments to spend via the G20, IMF, World Bank etc.

Germany for example is spending - but even they are saying that there will have to be a line drawn somewhere.

Countries that dealt with the IMF and World Bank in the 80 & 90's, SOuth America and Asia - do not want them near them again and are working on improving thier economies through their own trade agreeements.

The IMF and World Bank money will go to Ireland, Hungrary, Lithuania and perhaps in the greatest irony of all US and UK. And do not think they will NOT lead those countries on the same road of catastrophe as South America.

The world wide economy did over heat, but there are countries out there that due to their size and economic makeup (Italy and Germany) or due to decent banking regaulation will come out stronger.

Think of it this way, Iceland sacked everyone involved, In Ireland where the same thing happened barely anyone has gone and when Ireland says it will look into Banking regulation who do they hire a muppet that was bad at City regulation in London and works in Barclays. Why did they not go to a country that has had bank regualtion proven to work? Because the people that run this country are up to their necks in it.

And to think if only we had not given away all the gas on the west coast there.

I am plannning on Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Half the people dont even know were eyerland is anyway... ive been told its somewhere between holland and india :-s

sick of taht newstalk show that ger anc claire RECESSSION WHORES!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

realcam wrote: »
    I happen to disagree. While the boom wasn't 'fake', it was blown out of proportion.

What happened was that due to educated workforce (English language even), the low corporation tax and relatively low wages multinational companies came here creating a lot of jobs. That was all that was there which had real substance.

On the back of that an artificial boom was created. A boom that was entirely based on the workforce having more money and spending that money and a lot more - money they didn't actually have yet, and some of them never will - on houses. That drove the hype and made 'the boom' seem a lot bigger than it actually was.

Unfortunately by letting this go with no controls and no steering it drove inflation through the roof, created a hot air balloon of a construction industry and with the increased spending (as if there's no tomorrow) it also inflated other industries and government spending. Spending all round really. But based on what? Wasn't that all of a sudden Ireland actually produced anything like cars, ships, consumer goods or anything. All we had was some multinationals that may be there tomorrow or may be not. Well, we're certainly not a low wages market anymore. All we had was a lot of tax intake from people spending a lot of money they didn't actually have yet.

But how on earth did the government think that this was going to go on forever? I don't think they did. I don't buy for one second that our political class was unable to see all that including the fact that it wasn't going to last. But their priorities weren't about containing the madness and creating a stable future. All they did was to make sure that they themselves and their vested interests (cronies) were going to get the biggest piece of this cake until the bubble bursts and the idiots (thats us, the taxpayers, the electors) remaining money is used to clean up the mess.

A reasonable summary of how we got here. Possibly of limited use to anyone deciding whether to stick it out or try their luck elsewhere. Personally, I've seen little that would reassure me that we have the quality of politician in place that will guide Ireland out of the sh*t it created for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

I hope the head of the banks and some of the developers have criminal charges brought against them but of course they won't because they will bring some Goverment officals down with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

realcam wrote: »

I agree with all your points and i think mine are same maybe its just the way i phrased it :).

An interesting fact on greed and the excess lifestyle lead through the boom times in the US, in 1982, the average US household saved 11% of its disposable income, by 2007 the figure was 1%. I'd love to see the same figures for Ireland for before and during the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

m@cc@ wrote: »
    You may struggle unless your Dutch is up to scratch. :pac:

I'm just back from Amsterdam and having little or no Dutch (other then the key bits you pick up day-to-day from just being exposed to it) hindered me very little. I was in tourist mode but wasn't in a hotel, so had to do shopping etc. myself.

I also know a Dutch guy who's been helpful with that respect. I've been looking at jobs that require English as a language, either partly or in the odd case, as a must-have.
    in the netherlands employment is low but i hear thats because employers rather than sacking workers are putting them on shorter weeks. if that was to happen in ireland(and it has) people would still be gloomy and depressed because they have massive mortgages to pay off.

A lot of European cities don't have populations that own properties it seems. Most people rent, so the economy isn't as gloomy. In Holland, if you're offered fewer hours, it's likely it will only hit your savings account, rather then your rent/living.

It's the same as here, just shop in lidl instead ;) (unless you've a hefty mortgage)

Advertisement