Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting out of ireland !!

Options
  • 15-04-2009 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

I have been back in Ireland for the past 2 years. Before that I was living in Germany for 9 years.
    I have a good job here but the way the Goverment is unable to take control of the situation im thinking of going back.
    I know this is a global resession but I find that i have more faith in other countries sorting themselves out way before Ireland does.
    I don't want to hang around while this country goes down the toilet .
    Do you think i would be doing the right thing ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

ye sure why not like. would be a good time to move as well considering you missed out the harsh winter. so now hot central european summer awaits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I have been back in Ireland for the past 2 years. Before that I was living in Germany for 9 years.
    I have a good job here but the way the Goverment is unable to take control of the situation im thinking of going back.
    I know this is a global resession but I find that i have more faith in other countries sorting themselves out way before Ireland does.
    I don't want to hang around while this country goes down the toilet .
    Do you think i would be doing the right thing ?

The French, Germans and Scandanavians seem to have far more progressive and equitable societies than our own. We however, are lumbered with the anglo-saxon model. I'd say off to Germany, and have no regrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

hold on a tick

***packs bags****

Im ready, where we going again?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

As an Irish citizen, it is your duty to stick with the shinking ship that is Ireland.

If I cant go, I'm not letting you leave *jumps onto floor and grabs your feet*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Canada. That's the place to go. And they have a working holiday visa too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Once again. Will the last man to leave please remember to turn out the lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

Ive talked to alot of my friends in Germany and They say in the news over their that ireland is screwed. When I lived there they always said that ''Its amazing that a small country like Ireland could become so rich in such a short time. I feel so ashamed that It was a fake .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Been living in the Netherlands for nearly a year now and one think I will say is that the reactions to the recession seems to be a lot calmer. What I don't understand at home is why it's on the TV EVERYDAY. We all know it's happening and it crap for people losing their jobs but it's hardly mass starvation and looting on the streets.

I wish the media would keep it in perspective instead of generating mass hysteria and only fuelling the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

As an Irish citizen, it is your duty to stick with the shinking ship that is Ireland.

If I cant go, I'm not letting you leave *jumps onto floor and grabs your feet*

Damn right, who do you think you are? turning your back on Ireland when it needs you the most. We should all stick it out together and fight this recession. Jumping ship is what cowards do. You make me sick*

*Posted from an office 3000 miles away from the Emerald Isle

I feel so ashamed that It was a fake .

This is rubbish, Ireland's boom has been managed badly but it will still come out of it better than it was 20 years ago, no matter what. It's time to eat some humble pie, learn the mistakes of the past and start again.

• Advertisement

Now if I go to another country i feel the reaction is going to be '' You come from Ireland ? What happened their ? It used to be great and now its f**ked

maby you and an icelandic immigrant can become friends? maby a latvian as well. 3 countries in europe with a lot in common.

maby you and an icelandic immigrant can become friends? maby a latvian as well. 3 countries in europe with a lot in common.

Probably been done but.. what's the difference between Iceland and Ireland? One letter and 6 months.

Thats true . Maybe we can create our own Goverment on a desserted Island. No money involved

Ive talked to alot of my friends in Germany and They say in the news over their that ireland is screwed. When I lived there they always said that ''Its amazing that a small country like Ireland could become so rich in such a short time. I feel so ashamed that It was a fake .

I dont think it was fake maybe the property values we bought at and the loans we got to buy them were fake but they were a direct result of all the foreign investment we brought into the country.

Ireland was a kinda like a gold mine waiting to be harvested. We had a very educated workforce that had no jobs, we had 12% Corp tax and as soon as free trade in the EU became real, foreign companies flooded into our country. We did a lot of hard work to get where we were but like everybody else we got greeedy and thats why it affects us more. The boom wasnt a fake, the greed was.

Republic of Hippyland

the problem with our boom was many of it was low skilled work so people still remain dumb and uneducated. so many people dropped out in my other school to do carpentry and other work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Instead of packing up and leaving, why not sign on and live it up.. like any self respecting patriot?

When I was doig my leaving Cert FAS came to the school and told people to do trades as thats the future. Great for 10 years but now its game over

the problem with our boom was many of it was low skilled work so people still remain dumb and uneducated. so many people dropped out in my other school to do carpentry and other work.

Not quite, the boom wasnt caused by carpenters and plummers...i think it may have had more to do with Intel, Dell, HP coming to the country...

We were orginally a agricultural and manufacturing nation before the boom but we quickly became a manufacturing/tech/service nation during the boom. One thing we can say good about the government is that they did foresee us losing a lot of companies like Dell going to Poland and they did try to take us to the next level by developing a niche R&D market by increasing the amount of Phds given out (this may not have been the best way about it but they at least were looking to the future to sustain the boom) and tax relief for companies investing in R&D. A lot of recent foreign investment is work disguised as R&D from american companies classifing work as R&D to get it done cheaply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Funny this thread pops up as, in another tab, I'm reading Dutch job listings... and in another tab? That's right, Dutch apartments to let :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

OP, can I swop with you ??

I'd love to come home to Ireland from Germany. I'm hear nearly 2 years and starting to hate it.

I really hate the sunny weather, the German beer, the autobahn with no speed limits and of course I really hate those German women with the big boobies.

Save me from this hell !!!!

all my mums family are irish but they emmigrated to amsterdam in the 60's.

Funny this thread pops up as, in another tab, I'm reading Dutch job listings... and in another tab? That's right, Dutch apartments to let :)

You may struggle unless your Dutch is up to scratch. :pac:

You Right about the German Women. I brought one home with me but surprize surprize she wants to stay in Ireland..It such a Lovely country while Im working my ass off to keep a roof over our head because of this rain. Thats the best part about Germany . In the summer its 30 oc and in Winter it snows

ye a girl i know from cologne is fascinated by ireland. she hates being german and wants to be irish. as the saying goes far away the fields are green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

If you do go...can I have your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Been living in the Netherlands for nearly a year now and one think I will say is that the reactions to the recession seems to be a lot calmer. What I don't understand at home is why it's on the TV EVERYDAY. We all know it's happening and it crap for people losing their jobs but it's hardly mass starvation and looting on the streets.

I wish the media would keep it in perspective instead of generating mass hysteria and only fuelling the problem.

i agree one hundred percent, everywhere you turn its "recession" this "current economic climate" that, yea its bad here but the media is making it so much worse when they scare everyone to bits with "doom and gloom". most people wouldnt be doomy and gloomy if they just shut the feck up about it for a while. I bet you turn on the radio and within an half an hour you will have some gob****e telling you how bad things are, there is no escaping it, i want out!! slowly but surely starting to hate the place.

in the netherlands employment is low but i hear thats because employers rather than sacking workers are putting them on shorter weeks. if that was to happen in ireland(and it has) people would still be gloomy and depressed because they have massive mortgages to pay off.

my mum has the house here payed for(she lived in munich in the 80's where i was born) so she should be fine in this recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Media have a part to play - they are not quite as independent as they are meant to be - too many axes to grind. Seem to be following the model in the UK where public opinion rules.

As to here just a few questions:
    Why is the government paid so much?
    Why do we not have a proper infrastructure? - All roads lead to Dublin - but if you want to use public transport you cannot avoid the city center.
    Bike lanes - thats a joke
    NCT - our most recent win - way to go on shutting down the NCT phone lines and online booking tool
    Tax hikes - need to pay for the expenses somehow

Yup - I too am now seriously considering "jumping ship" - tired of our corrupt close-minded ways, there is no party out there I can trust to put the country ahead of their brown envelopes - sorry I mean incidentals...

Sad - but true.

Advertisement