Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

designers working together idea?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

Hey All,

So I think Ive pm'ed eveyone who expressed an interest, if Ive missed anyone at all apologies. Hopefully see you all there, and if anyone else stumbles across this in the meantime you're more than welcome too, maybe just drop me a pm so I get to seem at least slightly organised about everything.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

Thanks Susy.

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder that our meet and greet is today around 6.30, hope to see you all there!

Susy

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Yep should be there myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I hope to get it but have a million and one things to do between now and then.

Hey Folks,

Just to update everyone, we did manage to get a few people together today which was great. Ill get a more detailed idea up of the ideas we discussed and the direction we're thinking of heading shortly, (when its not so late at night and my brain is working again!) so anyone still interested can have the chance to get involved still.

Susy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Great to hear some of you guys met up! I'm still very interested! Pity I missed tonight but I'm away tomorrow so had too much to organise.

Myself and Dublin_Gunner were there last night in the Library Bar in Exchequer Street from 6.40 to 9.

We didn't see anyone else there - where did the meeting happen - how many was there?

I'm disappointed because we thought nobody else turned up. And now it seems that some people did turn up somewhere at some point?

Please, send a PM on what happened?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'm just living in Copenhagen at the minute, and there's a lot of co-working spaces here. Basically someone finds a nice cheap space to rent (i'm thinking there should be loads on Cork St these days) and people rent desk space. There's lots of nice shared facilities as well as the general mixing of business. Here's some info about one I went to recently:
    http://www.republikken.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=14&Itemid=128

also, some more resources here:
    http://www.coworking.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 WaltzerDesign

I'm also very interested in this. It would be great to meet up with some fellow designers. I love the idea of lots of us working in a collaborative space. Is there any graphic designers clubs/associations currently existing in Ireland?

Hi!

So based on what we agreed last Tuesday, Ive set up a forum for this project/endeavour/thing which can be found at http://workinprogress.freeforums.org

Heres a general recap of what went on, but after this Im generally gona be taking communication over to that forum, just cause it makes it that bit easier.

So at our first meet and greet we had 5 people with us, and 2 lost people (sorry again!)

Heres the general recap of what us 5 talked about, Im hoping you might all put up a little story of yourselves so I dont tell other peoples stories and get them wrong icon_e_confused.gif

Overall we want to begin working on a very broad design project to get our work out and in the public and hopefully get some media attention from it. Ideas thrown around included web/email to distribute design work, or putting work into fairs and that. But we mostly went this direction: getting access to empty building such as shops or offices around the city and using the windows to showcase work. Mostly we talked about using projectors/tvs/old monitors to display on, as well as having more physical aspects to show, such as a pendulum powered light. We also hope to have this be interactive with people passing by, on the simplest level, having animations/posters displayed when there is movement outside the window and off without movement. But this could be expanded, because we hope to be able to show any kind of work that people are interested in whatever the medium.

We thought that having an overall theme would help focus the "installation" (I know thats a real buzz word these days, but this can be wahtever you want it but I need to use some all encompassing word!). We though that making it based around the idea of Signs of the Times could work, kind of showing that even with the down times there is something happening and we're doing something to reflect/show/make happier these times. But this would be a broad idea, and interpreted at will! We thought this would be a good base to approach media with, we are out of work (or not getting to be as creative as we would like) artists, doing something to make it a little better.

Timewise we think October could good to get this up by. General plan goes along the lines of, thinking about areas you would like to work on for next week, developing a plan and approaching estate agents, approaching funding bodies, and then getting it all together along the way. Ideas should not be location specific, since we might not be 100% sure what vacant buildings we can get til close to the time.

Nothing about this is set in stone yet, we of course want everyone whos going to hopefully get involved to have input too, but this seemed like a good start-up direction to go.

If anyone who was there wants to add or argue anything from that, feel free!!

Oh also meant to say p thanks for the links, really like the look and ethos of that whole idea, definitely something to keep in mind.

And WaltzerDesign glad to hear youre interested, we never got onto the idea of shared space specifiacally, but its something Id be interested in, youre very welcome to come along to the next meet-up, Tuesday the 9th 6.30 ish in the Library bar again. (theres more details and directions on that forum)

hello All,

We're having our second meet up tomorrow (Tuesday) at 6.30 ish again in the Library bar, nothing at all about our plans is set in even watery cement, so wed love people to come along and get involved I'll tell the bar staff whereabouts in the bar the "designers" are meeting up so hopefully we'll be a bit easier to find, or send me a pm anytime before 4 ish tomorrow and you can have my phone number to locate us by.

Hoping to see some new faces (and those who made it last week :-))

Hey folks,

In case anyone is interested, todays meeting is gona be in the IFI cafe around 6.30ish. Looking forward to seeing people there :)

Can't make it again! I have a football match to play at 8. Need to get home and get ready. Could be a late day in the office too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

try to attend at least one meeting - but be sure to sign up to workinprogress.freeforums.org.

If you're employed, be sure to offer internships for all members :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭GlindaGale

Hi guys

Just saw this thread today. I'm employed as a graphic designer/printer for a display company in Dublin, mostly posters/menus/signage etc. Even though I'm in full time employment, I'm very interested in your designers working together idea. Can you PM me some details?

Hey GlindaGale,

Sent you a pm just there now.

Also our next meeting is tomorrow (23rd) again 6.30 ish, again all welcome, IFI cafe, glad to see so many people interested so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

susy wrote: »
    Hey GlindaGale,

Sent you a pm just there now.

Also our next meeting is tomorrow (23rd) again 6.30 ish, again all welcome, IFI cafe, glad to see so many people interested so far :)

Hi Susy

not sure what progress is being made, would you not consider imposing some structure to achieve some modest tangible progress. I'm not sure about the merits of finding empty spaces/vans around town/centre, seems too adhoc and erratic to me.

If designers want to engage with public much better to offer some form of stable regular venue. Display and/or show can migrate on a fixed period basis around Dublin initially.

There's little availablity for nothing around town and this needs to be grasped. In the meantime, what are you deliverables and more importantly when will they be available.

Admittedly this is a commercial slant, but you're either 'art' or 'commercial', and the latter demands more discipline which must be results driven from the outset? Otherwise your initiative might implode?

Not wishing to be negative, but from what I've seen here and on the new site, take up is slow and little evidence of any harnessing expressed interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Hi Susy

not sure what progress is being made, would you not consider imposing some structure to achieve some modest tangible progress. I'm not sure about the merits of finding empty spaces/vans around town/centre, seems too adhoc and erratic to me.

If designers want to engage with public much better to offer some form of stable regular venue. Display and/or show can migrate on a fixed period basis around Dublin initially.

There's little availablity for nothing around town and this needs to be grasped. In the meantime, what are you deliverables and more importantly when will they be available.

Admittedly this is a commercial slant, but you're either 'art' or 'commercial', and the latter demands more discipline which must be results driven from the outset? Otherwise your initiative might implode?

Not wishing to be negative, but from what I've seen here and on the new site, take up is slow and little evidence of any harnessing expressed interest.

The best way to sort this out is to attend our meeting on next Tuesday - we'll PM you with details

Hi Sonnenblumen,

Thanks for your advice, Im afraid perhaps you have the wrong impression of us at the minute, because as experiMental says the best way to know what we're up to is to join us for a meeting.

We are quite organised, while still allowing oursleves time to build up momentum, we currently have quite a few people committed to the project, and are making progress each week.

While yes a great way to engage with the public is a regular exhibition, we want to give this a try, we think there is huge merit in taking empty spaces and doing something constructive with them, especially at the mooment with the amount of them around. There have been quite a few similar initiatives recently and they all seem to have been successful, so hopefully :)

Our deliverables are this exhibition/installation in October, we have a broad outline of what we need to be achieving each week to reach that goal, and we discuss these things at our meetings, so its possibly not all that clear from the forum site.

And we are a mix of commerical/art and I think it works for us, we just want to put on a show of the work that we can and like to do, whatever somes of it comes of it, the beauty of how our group is working so far is that we are each getting to have input into what we enjoy most, and that dynamic is working well for us, so for now a commericial/design/art mix-up is the non-label we're going with.

I know we may seem disorganised a little, (but its hard to portray organistaion in a forum, and also Im not the type to impose structure excpept where absolutely necessary and so far we're good!) and I appreciate the constructive criticism but right now everyone who is interested is fully invited to participate as much as they wish, however they wish, so I'm happy so far!

Please feel free to join us for our next meeting or if youd like to continue to duscuss this im very happy for you to pm me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Any updates available on recent developments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 annnettemahon

/snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 annnettemahon

Sincere apologies - I am new and have taken your suggestions on board
    Annete
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    @Annnettemahon
    Post deleted.

Please keep the requests low, things like that belong on Adverts.ie, not here - I'm all for the idea and principle of the thread being unemployed, myself, but if this thread turns into anything more outside of the initial thread topic then it's taking a walk into trouble due to the rules.

If you're here as part of the team effort and working together, excellent - If you're here looking for people to give/take jobs and whatnot, you're going to be pointed to Adverts.ie and whatever action required to clean up the posts.

You can get an idea of the ruleset by checking the Sales & Services thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pauly-chops

cool id be interested too, ive a BA (Hons) in Animation but at the moment im teching myself web design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jeanlee411

susy wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for all the advice, I'm sure I said a lot of things that made no sense with the current practise of design studios, but that's just because I don't know how they work, not having been able to get a job since finishing up college. Im not trying to totally revolutionise the ways to attract/let clients attract me, I just want to spend time working on interesting projects, like exhibitions etc which may or may not get a little bit of recognition and help us build our careers in some way, (not necessarily in a business money making way).Also Ive been offered bits of work with were beyond my skills and it would be great top be part of a group that could share this work. Sorry for causing any kind of rant from you....

Id absolutely love to take empty stores and do interesting things in them, sounds like just the kind of thing I'd enjoy getting into. If you're interested Id love to chat more about the idea, what we could do and how? And I can promise to keep it totally non-business.....
    I'd be interested in this. Well at least meeting up for a preliminary meet and greet.

PM if you're interested - I'm in south Dublin but work close to Pearse Street. Can meet almost anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

This is a very good idea i.e. pooling knowledge and resources so that when things pick up we will be in a stronger position. I'd be interested in any get togethers in Clare.

Advertisement