Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abercrombie and Fitch in Blackrock Shopping Center

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Still think ill do my clothes shopping in TK Max and Pennys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭crushproof

feck that have you tried to buy clothes in Dublin recently? River Island seems to only want to sell clothes thats fit for either gay guys or knackers; jeans with what looks fecking tipex thrown against them or else those dreadful skinny jeans or the same striped hoodie in a million differnet colours and styles or their ben shermin shirt ripoffs. Jack and Jones still is semi respectable, especially solid for just plain normal jeans.

Thank god there's someone else thinking that....I though I was the only guy thinking that these days! Everywhere has exactly the same as outlined above. Don't start me on the tight jeans, pink t shirts and bloody striped jumpers!! Wtf like, since when have the mens and womens departments interlinked?!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Barname wrote: »
    NO you are wrong.

I was NOT talking about copying. I stated if the goods are legitimate.

If say, the goods are legitimate no one can stop a third party reselling the same goods.

That would fall foul of competition laws.

Easy there now....!

I realise the goods are genuine and not copies - (thats in my earlier post)
    Manufacturers need exclusive distribution so the law protects it. Thats the key really a company when challenged(A&F) will only have to justify why they distribute in a certain way - but these cases are fact sensitive so it depends how a court would interpret it. Im not claiming to be an expert on EU law but ill give it a shot.

I know its not copying per se but I assure you it still can be illegal.

The reason is that althoguh the EU provides for the free movement of goods this is not the freedom to sell whatever you like in a shop simply because you own it. The free movement of goods can be 'limited' by a producer (eg. A&F) if they can justify it ie they have the right to distribute as they wish as long as its not anti-competitive (which might be eg. abuse of a dominant position or collusion between competitors)

- someone who tries to do it for a manufacturer ie. become a distributor of their own accord is infringing on the legal right of the producer to decide on how the good is sold goods like A&F can justify their protective approach as they always decide where and who can sell the goods the brand 'requires' secure distribution to protect it.

If you imported 500 ipods from Germany and set up an ipod shop it would be the same thing. I suspect that one of the reasons A&F have a store in London is to give them a base in the EU which otherwise would allow a person to import direct from the USA and set up shop as it would be more difficult to enfore rights as a US company in the EU where they had no base.

Artilces 82/86 of the European Treaty cover this. The Tort of Passing off in Ireland is applicable when goods are copied or where a person sponges off the brand of a company without permisson, it could also apply here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Mr.S wrote: »
    Doesn't mean their fake though, the shop could have just bought them in privately and then are just selling them on.

the factory's are given permission to make 1000 of each shirt for example... but they make 2000, give 1000 to A&F then give 1000 to rouge traders at a cheap price... they make their profit as does the rouge trader, nobody gets hurt bar the tax man.

its simply and effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

anyone know if this shop is still selling? Was looking to get some A&F stuff and didnt want to have to order online cause i dont wanna have to use credit card. i remember a shop in the powerscourt centre sold it but i went back recently and it was all gone! Assuming this had something to do with the infringements mentioned earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

bk wrote: »
    Just because these are sold for outrageous prices in Brown Thomas, people think they are something special, but in the US people would laugh at you as they are considered relatively affordable and middle of the road clothing.

The funniest thing is any time I'm in the US I'm always being complemented on my clothes typically bought in the likes of River Island, Jack and Jones, etc. and people want to know where to get it. They find it more interesting then the boring range of jeans, T-shirt, etc. usually sold in the US stores.

there are 2 different lines of tommy hilfiger and raulph lauren in America
    theres the ghetto line and theres the preppy line
    but yes they are overpriced here anyway I think.
    theres many brands in America that we dont have here and are more expensive than what I've seen in BT, 300dollars for a tshirt, that was just a small store in Miami, I was browsing and tried to leave quickly and quietly when I noticed the prices, my tshirt was very similar but cost me 15dollars in a different store and I preferred it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

The material of the long sleeve shirts sold in both A&F and Hollister is far, far superior to anything sold in the likes of River Island. I used wear River Island gear when I was around 20-21 but after that found the style too boy bandish and the quality of the materials really poor (low cotton % and thread count). Was actually in there last week and really thought the clothes were poor quality.

Through all my business travels I'm always on the lookout for semi-casual shirts and in all the various cities around the world I've been in I've never found anything that comes close in terms of quality and value (most Hollister shirts are $39 and even at $70 A&F shirts are far cheaper than many alternatives). On top of that I also love the style and cut of the shirts (tidy enough for business casual wear without feeling too formal, also go great with a pair of jeans in the evening).

I don't buy much else there unless it's majorly discounted in a sale as I find that I can get similar jeans, combats etc. elsewhere with comparable quality and style for cheaper, but I do love their shirts.

So yeh, you may disagree with peoples' opinions, but the level of spite and generalisation shown on this thread is the only thing I'd be calling pathetic.

Im sure they are great quality clothes but most people wearing them here are doing so for the name printed on the front. I wouldnt wear it if I was given it for free

Its like when Ed Hardy was popular in LA, everyone wore it because of the name not the quality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Sheep

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement