Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009: Why the 'Mr', 'Miss' etc in our classes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

re homework, some teachers seem to think the more homework they give, the better they are. Homework needs to have a purpose rather than just keeping a child busy( or driving parents nuts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Saying 'Muinteoir Sean' isn't really any different to using Sir or Miss - the Muinteoir implies a title.....Just Sean on the other hand would make me feel a little too informal. Would never have thought it was a big deal to me either way but remember being on a school tour with students who kept trying to call me by my first name and it just felt wrong somehow.

I also had the student calling me 'Ma' incident - years ago I had a class of 6th year boys most of them bigger than me and on the rugby team so these guys liked to think they were hard men! As the bell went one of the tougher students kept telling me he DID have his homework , just couldn't find it in his bag etc etc. I had already threatened all sorts and was on my way out the door when he found it and came running after me shouting 'Mam!!' The poor guy....I couldn't look back but I'm sure he was scarlet too judging by the roars from the other students! There wasn't a peep out of him for weeks!:D

It's OK to say it like that in Irish? :confused:

So why don't they say Teacher Paul, Teacher Mary etc. :pac:

(He said Mam not ma or mammy or mum.)

Advertisement