Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Electric Car is coming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

robtri wrote: »
    you didn't question the source, you dismissed the results because you don't like J.C. views on the enviroment..
    I didn’t dismiss it, I questioned it. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t really expect a Toyota Prius to perform particularly well on a race track against a sports car.
    Mining materials for batteries is enviromentally damaging...
    Sure, mining is damaging to the environment; I’m not disputing that.
    as a hybrid car is in general the same as an ICe car, (wheels, metal panelling, engine, seats carpets ect) the only realy differnce is the addition of batteries…
    Conventional ICE vehicles don’t have batteries? Lead-acid and nickel-cadmium batteries?
    you mentioned in your response earlier, buy a telsa... so I asked you why??
    It was a joke; you’ll not the use of the (humorous) BBCode tags.
    Seems a bit more balanced, although they still make the same link between the Prius and Sudbury. Allow me to draw your attention to the link in the ‘comments’ section below the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tashkurgan

djpbarry wrote: »
    Well according to the article in the OP, a range of 160km is achievable. But I don’t think long-distance drivers are the target Market for electric cars, at least not in the short-term.

Well, this is going to be tricky. Standard city car type EVs like the iMev will be in the region of 40Km to 60Km. Enough to do the normal commute only. The 'thinking' is that you have a diesel estate at home for the long runs to the country at weekends or on hols. If you live in mainland Europe, the range is fine as it will bring you to an SNCF station where you can pick up a train etc etc (a kind of hub and spoke plan).

Range extenders like the Volt will have longer range but can run on their lit ions for about 40km after that they will run on reduced power using the serial ICE over longer distances.

Battery swap out will have longer range than small city car EVs but will need to replace their batteries probably in the region of 100+km.. (a guess on my part).

Advertisement