Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone get the DSi?

Options
  • 03-04-2009 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

So did anyone buy or try the DSi?
    I still play some of my old GBA games, so I would not be trading in my DS Lite and I like Guitar Hero.

But did anyone else try it out yet? What is the best thing about it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Yep got it today, some of the camera/sound options are fun. The screen is clearer but I really don't like the surface coating, feels wrong...like scraping your nails on a blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not yet. The best deal I've seen is GAMEs website - about €190 with GTA and COD:WAW Hmm, must've been a preorder deal. They've stopped doing 2 game bundles :(

What's it retailing at in shops here? Any good deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

DigiJem wrote: »
    Yep got it today, some of the camera/sound options are fun. The screen is clearer but I really don't like the surface coating, feels wrong...like scraping your nails on a blackboard.

I was playing around with one yesterday and had the same feelings regarding the matte finish. Speakers were better quality, menu system also improved but didn't care for the reduced battery life and I'd miss the GBA slot on my DS lite. Thought the power button was poorly located too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Yes but I can't get the damn thing online though :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bought one the other day, nice.
    Battery Life sucks, cameras are a toy at most, although I can see a company making a makeup mirror out of it, as a young lady who saw it thought, should probably patent that one!
    Lack of GBA slot doesn't irk as you can buy a GBA SP for about 10 euro in Gamestop at the mo, Santry have loads of them.
    I reckon the casing is going to get real dirty real quick, especially my white one!
    Wonder how folk who bought Guitar Hero and the like feel, now that the slot for the necessay peripheral has gone, gone too is the vibration pack and the nifty little paddle controller you could use in Space Invaders Extreme.
    The lack of MP3 support sucks as well, no idea why they went this route, also I can't log onto my home network with it as it only can access WEP protected networks, nothing more sophisticated allowed.
    Hope future firmware updates will go some way to solve these problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    also I can't log onto my home network with it as it only can access WEP protected networks, nothing more sophisticated allowed.

It can do some version of WPA from what I have read. I have got one myself, but I don't have WPA setup on my home network, but from what I have read online it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 freakysnatch

Does anbody know if the DSi is compatable with the R4 or is there a similar device that goes with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I think that was the main reason for a new DS - so that users could not use the R4 card. And then they needed to make it attractive for others who were considering - camera etc.
    I was debating about getting one, but I don't see any advantage between it and the DS Lite, so I will hold onto mine for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭baz909

the R4 cards dont work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finally got it to work on the home network, yay!
    Browser is better than the previous effort.
    Downloaded a couple of games, Code and Aquite, seem pretty good, got them for free because of the 1000 DSware points Ninty give you for registering, even so, they are easily worth the 5 euro they would otherwise cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Picked one up yesterday - never had a DS before. Have a launch PSP and never use it. Anyway, got New Mario Bros and GTA for it. Also wanted to get Chrono Trigger but couldn't find it. Is that game readily enough available in retail in Ireland or will I need to order it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sounds like Nintendo really messed up here with the DSi.

Can't play GH because the attachment thing is gone and the battery life is utter crap.

Maybe Nintendo did this intentionally so that in a couple of months they'll re-jig the entire thing and bring out a DSi 2 so you can spend more money. Genius from Nintendo's point of view.

They are the best in handheld gaming but this is taking the piss really. Battery life is nearly as bad as the PSP.

Seems that every new invention has to have a camera jammed into it somewhere. What's next? A toaster with a 10.5 megapixel camera inside it?

Only thing good I can see about the DSi is the improved menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Didn't seem like an upgrade so didn't bother.

Even though there maybe GBA SP (prefer micro) about, id still rather have my gba slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Didn't seem like an upgrade so didn't bother.

Even though there maybe GBA SP (prefer micro) about, id still rather have my gba slot.

It's all a money ploy. No GBA slot with your DSi??? Oh well I'll have to buy another fairly outdated piece of equipment.

And then what'll happen is Nintendo will then bring out a second console containg a GBA slot and you'll say "Oh why do I need two machines when the new DSi 2 can handle both DS and GBA games."

Stupid Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

the only reason they brought it out was to updated the ds so the homebrew cards would not work on them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dooish wrote: »
    the only reason they brought it out was to updated the ds so the homebrew cards would not work on them

Except that apparently has been sorted already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

It is of course possible that Nintendo made the first firmware easily crackable, so that R4 type users will believe its safe to upgrade, and at a later stage roll out their real firmware with tough encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭smokingman

It is of course possible that Nintendo made the first firmware easily crackable, so that R4 type users will believe its safe to upgrade, and at a later stage roll out their real firmware with tough encryption.

...except that the Wii is the only Ninty console so far that has ever needed a firmware upgrade. And when you think about it, are 5 or 60 year olds really going to understand how to upgrade their firmware? Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

smokingman wrote: »
    ...except that the Wii is the only Ninty console so far that has ever needed a firmware upgrade. And when you think about it, are 5 or 60 year olds really going to understand how to upgrade their firmware? Don't think so.

New firmwares shipped with new games, automatic mandatory installs when the concole is turned on with the game in it. Cant see why not?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

New firmwares shipped with new games, automatic mandatory installs when the concole is turned on with the game in it. Cant see why not?
    How many people read the terms and conditions anyway ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

does anyone believe nintendo will release dsi-only games in the future? thats what they are claiming in a leaflet i picked up from gamestop.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    does anyone believe nintendo will release dsi-only games in the future? thats what they are claiming in a leaflet i picked up from gamestop.
    They already have. They're downloadable games, like Wii Ware. Maybe they'll release a game that'll need the camera or something too.

nah mate, wasn't referring to them. i mean dsi-only releases on cartidge? the leaflet implies that because the dsi has more ram and more processor power, there will be games in the future that will be dsi-only.

personally i don't believe that, i think ninty would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if this happened.

It sounds like GameStop scaremongering. That said, Kotaku reported that Nintendo will release "DSi Enhanced" games - i.e. games that'll work on both iterations, but with additional features for the DSi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    nah mate, wasn't referring to them. i mean dsi-only releases on cartidge? the leaflet implies that because the dsi has more ram and more processor power, there will be games in the future that will be dsi-only.

personally i don't believe that, i think ninty would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if this happened.
    Nintendo aren't stupid that will only happen when/if Dsi numbers are > DS numbers.

It sounds like GameStop scaremongering. That said, Kotaku reported that Nintendo will release "DSi Enhanced" games - i.e. games that'll work on both iterations, but with additional features for the DSi.

ah, that makes sense, going to take this as fact, i can live without camera abilites and such. the leaflet looked official, it wasn't Gamestop's doing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe they'll release a game that'll need the camera or something too.
    yeah, it'll use facial recognition so only the registered user can play ;)

yeah, it'll use facial recognition so only the registered user can play ;)

wouldn't flippin rule it out in the future, would help with unwanted 2nd hand sales

ha, who needs a dsi? i got a mint 2nd hand ds phat with gta new and 12 euro credit for trading in 3 games on the gamestop 30 euro trade in list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

i got myself one of these for a ds, best money i ever spent

New TopToy DSTT Multimedia Card for NDS and NDS Lite (Supports SDHC)

Price: $5.93

Advertisement