Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rocketts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you need bigger portions that's not good.

I thought those places were more expensive though I haven't tried any other than jo banger which has closed recently. Pity I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

wyndham wrote: »
    Off the top of my head : Bobos, Real Gourmet Burger, The Counter(from the people who brought us Eds), Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Jo Burger, Ricks are all superior to Eds. Some are cheaper. There are probably many more as the market is now saturated with 'upper end' burger joints and there seems to be a new one opening every month or so.

Eds used to have the market to themselves but are being left behind rapidly. The menu is stale and attempts to overhaul it, with items such as chicken in a basket, gravy, mashed potato, haven't really been successful.

I have heard of exactly 0 of the above mentioned...are any of them in Galway?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

majiktripp wrote: »
    I have heard of exactly 0 of the above mentioned...are any of them in Galway?

are you talking about the other companies,, or newish menu offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I was in Bobo's last night, last thursday as well-yummy! The prices are very good, staff freindly compared to Eddie Rokets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

wyndham wrote: »
    Off the top of my head : Bobos, Real Gourmet Burger, The Counter(from the people who brought us Eds), Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Jo Burger, Ricks are all superior to Eds. Some are cheaper. There are probably many more as the market is now saturated with 'upper end' burger joints and there seems to be a new one opening every month or so.

Eds used to have the market to themselves but are being left behind rapidly. The menu is stale and attempts to overhaul it, with items such as chicken in a basket, gravy, mashed potato, haven't really been successful.

I've been to Bobos and Gourmet Burger Kitchen and I have to say I wasn't very impressed with them. The food was just ok and the atmosphere wasn't very nice.

They are also more expensive than Eddies, a plain burger costs 9.50 in GBK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If anyone wants a Buy one Hamburger, get one free at eddies download ocode to their phone.

valid mon - wed 2pm to 9pm

They also have 2 new burgers, steakhouse and M50 i believe their called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Davy wrote: »
    are you talking about the other companies,, or newish menu offers?

The other companies listed, certainly none of them here in the West. The new menu items that didnt sell are acknowledged on the new menus also, "Sorry Mrs. McMullin but yhour Gravy didn't sell" etc
    The two new burgers, the M50 and the Stackhouse, seem to go down well whenever the friends order them,haven't tried them myself as I order the same thing every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I actually think that Eddie Rocket's offers pretty good value for money (if you leave the chips out of the equation). We typically order two burgers (with a few extras), one portion of chips, a soft drink for him and water for me (maybe a malt if I'm feeling up for it) and we typically pay around E22.

I can't believe that people are surprised how much a meal costs when they have fries and malts on the side. Those things are not cheap. It's there in black and white on the menu.

The burgers are real and freshly cooked to order and if you go for the chicken burger, then it's a real chicken fillet, freshly cooked. You cannot in all earnestness compare that to McD's or the like.

As for the other gourmet burger bars - all burgers there are in the region of E10+. And fries etc probably cost the same as Eds. The only places I rate are Jo'Burger and The Counter. Bobo's don't season their patties resulting in a very bland burger and the Gourmet Buger Kitchen patties are tiny once you examine them closely. They only appear large because they're stuffed with lettuce and topping.

Now feel free to tell me that you think Eddie Rocket's is still expensive, but please make a decent comparison between it and its competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I always use the bogof vouchers in Eddie Rockets. 4 burgers-2 burgers each (with chilli) plus chips (plenty for 2) between us costs around 16 euro and believe me you are full after that. With the BOGOF vouchers being on both the Dunnes and Tesco receipts in the cork area anyways, I don't know why everyone doesn't use them.

(2 normal burgers and chips would cost about 9.00 with the vouchers for those with more normal appetites. (this is the one in Mahon btw)

• Advertisement

lindtee wrote: »
    With the BOGOF vouchers being on both the Dunnes and Tesco receipts in the cork area anyways, I don't know why everyone doesn't use them.

They are in cork and in limerick but don't think ive seem them in dublin in a long long time. Although their is the ocode one i posted earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    I actually think that Eddie Rocket's offers pretty good value for money....

I can't believe that people are surprised how much a meal costs when they have fries and malts on the side. Those things are not cheap. It's there in black and white on the menu.
    :confused: yes, they are not cheap, thats what people are surprised at, how overpriced they are relative to what you get or could get elsewhere.
    The burgers are real and freshly cooked to order and if you go for the chicken burger, then it's a real chicken fillet, freshly cooked. You cannot in all earnestness compare that to McD's or the like.
    In abras you get a fresh chicken fillet breast, cooked to order in the chicken fillet baguette.

rubadub wrote: »
    :confused: yes, they are not cheap, thats what people are surprised at, how overpriced they are relative to what you get or could get elsewhere.

In abras you get a fresh chicken fillet breast, cooked to order in the chicken fillet baguette.

I thought that was about comparing burgers originally.

Abra's I haven't been in, in many years. Used to be the last resort of the drunk and pretty mediocre. Maybe it's changed a lot. Last one I was in was staffed entirely by Chinese and it seemed far nicer than those I remember from years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

The thing about Eddies is that they have a market cornered. There are very few places open anywhere at late night, early morning when the pubs and clubs close. Except Eddies.

In Swords Eddies stay open until late sat/sun morning and the place is packed at night. There is literally nowhere else open to get food at 1-2am on saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Has anyone been to mahon point in cork, kfc mc donalds bagel bar and eddie rocketts are next to each other and everyone eats in the same area.
    And who charges the most for the grub??? Eddie rocketts.

Went to Eddie Rockets today in Mahon Point and was suprised to see that the prices had increased on everything:mad: Anyway, I liked their burgers so I went ahead and ordered 2 smokey burgers(BOGOF vouchers)......Absolutley disgusted with what I got, burger was TINY, I was used to getting burgers 3-4 times its size, there was one onion ring and a sliver of streaky bacon in each burger too....in a stale bun:mad: Got chips aswell which were overcooked. Never again will I eat there, the BOGOF vouchers are no incentive anymore.

I cannot believe in this day and age when consumers are watching their pennies, that any company would increase its prices by over 20% and reduce the sizes of what you are getting. I certainly will not be eating there anymore and can't see anyone else continuing to eat there (in mahon anyways) when as the previous poster said there is a choice of several other eateries, all cheaper. (and who haven't raised their prices by over 20% overnight)

(edit-price gone up to €6.70 for a burger!)

I might be wrong, but i think some of the burgers in dublin eddies are over €7 and have been for some time

Davy wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but i think some of the burgers in dublin eddies are over €7 and have been for some time

They were €5.50 for a burger up to a couple of weeks ago. I think the prices were lower than the "proper" eddie rocketts restaurants as the seating area in mahon serves a few fast food places. I wouldn't have minded the increases so much if the burgers were, at the very least, the same as what I was getting before but the burgers were tiny! About 1/3 the size of what they were!

I think anywhere that puts their prices up at the moment will be deserted very soon once word goes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

sham69 wrote: »
    it came to 33 euro...
    I nearly fell off the stool and it wasn't the booze that caused it.

Maybe I'm just a genius, but when I'm concerned about money, I check prices beforehand (in restaurants, they're usually written on the menu).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I do like the food there and the service, but i simply can't justify paying 7 euro for a burger anymore. Two meals (burger, fries, drink) can cost about 30 euro and I just don't have that kind of money.

I can get the same same size meal in places in Dublin for half the cost, so I see no reason to go to Eddie Rocket's.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Went to Eddie Rockets today in Mahon Point and was suprised to see that the prices had increased on everything:mad: Anyway, I liked their burgers so I went ahead and ordered 2 smokey burgers(BOGOF vouchers)......Absolutley disgusted with what I got, burger was TINY, I was used to getting burgers 3-4 times its size, there was one onion ring and a sliver of streaky bacon in each burger too....in a stale bun:mad: Got chips aswell which were overcooked. Never again will I eat there, the BOGOF vouchers are no incentive anymore.

I cannot believe in this day and age when consumers are watching their pennies, that any company would increase its prices by over 20% and reduce the sizes of what you are getting. I certainly will not be eating there anymore and can't see anyone else continuing to eat there (in mahon anyways) when as the previous poster said there is a choice of several other eateries, all cheaper. (and who haven't raised their prices by over 20% overnight)

I agree about the outlet in Mahon Point. Because it's not a 'full' restaurant, they sell smaller than usual burgers and they're just not worth it. It's quite disappointing because I am quite an Eddie Rocket's fan normally.

I agree about the outlet in Mahon Point. Because it's not a 'full' restaurant, they sell smaller than usual burgers and they're just not worth it. It's quite disappointing because I am quite an Eddie Rocket's fan normally.

But thats the thing, up to a couple of weeks ago, the burgers were huge and far tastier there. :( Am disapointed to because I used to like going there. You think in a recession they'd be trying to keep their customers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Went to the one in Kilkenny a few weeks ago. 13.50 for a pretty standard burger, fries and a coke :eek:. Bloody hell, I could have had my lunch in any of the good hotels in KK for more or less. And the place was full of families with Kids!

FruitLover wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just a genius, but when I'm concerned about money, I check prices beforehand (in restaurants, they're usually written on the menu).

No most people are typically Irish and would be too embaressed to get up and walk out. They won't say anyhting either but will not return and will tell everybody about it. It's the typical Irish way!

Acacia wrote: »
    I do like the food there and the service, but i simply can't justify paying 7 euro for a burger anymore. Two meals (burger, fries, drink) can cost about 30 euro and I just don't have that kind of money.

I can get the same same size meal in places in Dublin for half the cost, so I see no reason to go to Eddie Rocket's.

That's it in a nut shell. Nobody can justify spending that much on burgers imo. They need to be about 25% cheaper for what you get. They must have very healthy profit margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭DEEP THROAT

Rip-Off.......

They wouldn't think of it

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/themenu/items.php

Decor the same too:eek:

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/aboutus/movs/30_second_wmv.php

And funnily enough the Irish franchise is still available:confused::confused:

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/franchise/availablelocations_i.php

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I went ahead and ordered 2 smokey burgers(BOGOF vouchers)......Absolutley disgusted with what I got, burger was TINY, I was used to getting burgers 3-4 times its size,
    The trick is not to reveal your vouchers until it is made if possible. Places often make smaller burgers if you are getting 1 for free. Abras used to do this with idependent directory vouchers. We would only show them at checkout and they would be saying "you were meant to show that when ordering", we would just say "oh, I didn't know, whats the difference", and of course they would not come out and say, "if we knew we would have given you tiny kebabs!"
    FruitLover wrote: »
    mfitzy wrote: »
    No most people are typically Irish and would be too embaressed to get up and walk out. They won't say anyhting either but will not return and will tell everybody about it. It's the typical Irish way!
    I think restaurants have to have menus visible from outside or just inside, for this very reason.
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Print-versions-of-guides/NCA-prices-guide.html
    Eating establishments
    Restaurants and other eating establishments must display prices immediately outside or immediately inside each entrance to the premises and on menus (or if there are no individual menus, in a clear display on the premises such as a blackboard).

If applicable, the price display must indicate if there is:

A minimum charge
    A service charge - and whether this is included in the price of the food
    A cover charge, a charge for entertainment, or any similar charge
    If a pub or hotel has an eating area, the food price display must be at each entrance to the premises or at each entrance to the catering area.

Where different prices are charged at different times or days, these different prices must be specified, together with the items to which they relate.

So are the burgers cheaper to reflect this smaller size. The usual menu specifically says 1/3lb burgers, so do they say smaller or leave it out. All I can think is that in communal eating areas their overheads are less, i.e. rocketts do have fancier seats etc in normal ones. Also the burgers would appear expensive in communal places where people can easily compare prices with the others around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

When comparing apples for apples - I'm a fan of Eddies. The burgers are comparable to and often better than a pub or resteraunt burger that can charge upto 13 quid just for a burger!

You can't compare the burgers to Mickey D's or BKings at all they are just not in the same ball park and taste like rubber at the later establishments.

I think it is a fair point - if you think they are expensive don't eat there. Go the double take chicken sometimes with the burgar sauce on the side, delicious and wash it down with a malt. The fries are not up to par! skip em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

"Empty Pockets" in Limerick city also do the 10% surcharge after 11pm at night. Always packed on Friday and Sat night. Go figure.

Advertisement