Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving into a house where a girl died

Options
  • 03-04-2009 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi, We are about to sign a lease on a fantastic beautiful and relatively cheap house in salthill. My friend in particular is having serious doubts as after viewing the house and agreeing with the landlady we would move in the landlady told us a girl had died in the house last sept.(08).....
    The thing is, I'm not working at the moment and I would be in the house all day on my own so I'm a little freaked out. The landlady says she'l have a priest bless the house for us.....she explained that the girl died of "natural causes" by which she said the girl died from fumes from lighting candles in her room??? I don't believe that's posible and I think it was a polite way of saying she took her own life. I'm tryin not to be a big baby about it but I can see my friends point of view about not being as keen to move in. It would be a real pity coz its a beautiful house and to be fair I've rented some dodgy places since and during college (like real old houses) that somebody was bound to have died in at some stage...
    any thoughts?have to really decide before monday!...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

If your uncomfortable with the idea of someone having died in the house than that is a consideration.
    If your worried about ghosts, grow up and get on with it.
    btw, if any house is over 70yrs old (and I'm not saying yours is) chances are, someone has died in it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You have nothing to fear from someone dying in a house, no more than you would of someone being born there. Its just something that happened, it doesnt leave a scar on the place. The girl, whoever she was, will not haunt you.

If you still feel iffy, place some flowers in the room and say a prayer for the girl. Open the windows, let some air in and tell yourself, and the house, this is a new start.

Then get on with living there.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ttilting

This will be ridiculed. . . . but ......

Your fears are justified,

many people believe that all actions leave an energy trail. when you walk into a happy hope you can feel it even if there is no one there,,, when you walk into an unhappy home you can generally sense it straight away.

Priests haven't got a clue but it can't do any harm .... Do some research on ''white witches'' to have any bad energy 'cleared out' .... good one's can do it from a distance or recommend how to do it yourself.

I have seen things unexplainable by todays science ,,,, and while i accept there is a possibility I could be a delusional fool ! (i really don't think so because i'm a very critical thinker, but there is a chance!) ...... Just to be sure ..... and in case those who ridicule the paranormal (even though they have their children christened & get married in churches! and will have a catholic burial) .... are possibly wrong by judging everything by the narrow science of today . .. . .
    I'd do it for piece of mind.

Remember we are all effected by different energies every day ... the key is to work on your own energy so that you have more control over what energy effects you.

ttilting wrote: »
    This will be ridiculed. . . . but ......

Your fears are justified,

many people believe that all actions leave an energy trail. when you walk into a happy hope you can feel it even if there is no one there,,, when you walk into an unhappy home you can generally sense it straight away.

Priests haven't got a clue but it can't do any harm .... Do some research on ''white witches'' to have any bad energy 'cleared out' .... good one's can do it from a distance or recommend how to do it yourself.

I have seen things unexplainable by todays science ,,,, and while i accept there is a possibility I could be a delusional fool ! (i really don't think so because i'm a very critical thinker, but there is a chance!) ...... Just to be sure ..... and in case those who ridicule the paranormal (even though they have their children christened & get married in churches! and will have a catholic burial) .... are possibly wrong by judging everything by the narrow science of today . .. . .
    I'd do it for piece of mind.

Remember we are all effected by different energies every day ... the key is to work on your own energy so that you have more control over what energy effects you.
    I dont ridicule your beliefs, but I do think that fear becomes something that feeds off itself. The more you fear something, the more you allow negative possibilities in, and the more pressing that fear becomes. Yes, you can sense energy, but you can also not let it influence you. Why should you, when all it is, is feeling? Which is why my post above stressed the importance of not holding the thought that the house carries any negativity. Thinking that it does, just feeds the imagination, even if nothing is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jvr

hi, im goin to go over today to get a feel for the place on my own.....:rolleyes:
    i might just sit in each room for a while and see if i notice anything different (vibe, temperature etc.) might sound silly but I think for now it might help me figure it out if i can live there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

do a google on the house - and the person .... so you will better understand what happened and probably feel better.

ps. just on a broader scale - expanding a point made previously ...... people have died and taken their own lives on almost every inch of this country over the thousands of years its been inhabited.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

grow up and get on with it
    Please read the forum charter if you wish to continue using the forum.

ok im obvisouly in the wrong forum or something i just registered with boards.ie today....
    anyway...ya i have been googling all day about this girl (only told her first name) and got nothin.....

jvr wrote: »
    hi, im goin to go over today to get a feel for the place on my own.....:rolleyes:
    i might just sit in each room for a while and see if i notice anything different (vibe, temperature etc.) might sound silly but I think for now it might help me figure it out if i can live there....
    Sometimes places will do that to you, the minute you walk in them, you think...ugh.:) Other places feel like home from the first second. Certainly let your gut and instincts help you, but dont let the fact that a death happened there be an undue influence.

And gluck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

jvr wrote: »
    ok im obvisouly in the wrong forum or something i just registered with boards.ie today....
    If you're saying that because of my post above, that was directed at okioffice84.

I certainly think you're in the right forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I want to try to find out if something happened in my house - it's only about 5 years old, but I got a horrible feeling in one of the bedrooms more than once ... I bought a new belt and afterwards for several weeks on odd occassions, I could feel something choking me, I threw the belt out (argh the belt's haunted!!!!) and the feeling never came back :eek:

I wouldnt worry about it too much . Now that you know, every little bang you hear, you will think ghost.
    I wouldnt worry too much about energys either . If you open yourself up to them more, they can effect you.

Its kinda like reading a book. A book can effect you, but only if you ready it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

ok firstly,if she took her own life then that means she was unhappy,therefore,it aint likely shes gonna hang around earth is it?
    its irrelavent how she died anyway,shes gone.
    Have you ever been in hospital? its likely that someone died in the very bed anyone lies in there but that doesnt stop us going there.People mayhave died in the same seat you sit in on a bus or train,they die everywhere,then there gone.
    I dont see how a priest blessing the house is gonna help,we all have the power of a higher energy in us,anyone can "bless",its simply a matter of pure thoughts,only difference is a priest has a name and a role,no higher power than you or i,we all have the same.
    seriously,if its a good place to live then put your own stamp on it and forget anything else.,ost older houses have had a death there at some stage,you cant spend your life worrying if a ghost is gonna haunt you.That girls time was up,shes moved on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How did you get when you went to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

karynp wrote: »
    ok firstly,if she took her own life then that means she was unhappy,therefore,it aint likely shes gonna hang around earth is it?
    its irrelavent how she died anyway,shes gone.

No way, traumatic events like suicides lead to the scariest ghost stories and movies. If she was unhappy and is a spirit, she could be an angry spirit who will wreak havoc on anyone who dares enter. It could be like Grudge - the first movie, not the subsequent ones.
    Have you ever been in hospital? its likely that someone died in the very bed anyone lies in there but that doesnt stop us going there.

It keeps me out of hospital... Well, that and MRSA. Hospitals are horrible.
    I dont see how a priest blessing the house is gonna help,we all have the power of a higher energy in us,anyone can "bless",its simply a matter of pure thoughts,only difference is a priest has a name and a role,no higher power than you or i,we all have the same.

The priest (if Catholic) has authority under the Holy Father, an authority passed on from Jesus Christ himself. You or I don't have the authority to cast out demons, since we are not ordained by the Church.
    seriously,if its a good place to live then put your own stamp on it and forget anything else.,ost older houses have had a death there at some stage,you cant spend your life worrying if a ghost is gonna haunt you.That girls time was up,shes moved on.

Yes, easily said, but what happens when you're lying in bed alone, with thunder crashing, and lightning flashing outside. The rain and wind beating at your bedroom window, the power has gone out. Suddenly you smell candles burning, and begin to hear what sounds like a girl giggling from the corner of your darkened room. "Why are youuu in myyyyy rooooom?" you hear her whisper manically.

ya, we've decided to take the house....went back and stayed a bit longer and took time to get a feel for each room...didn't get any bad vibes at all!! moving in on monday so we'll see....Im sure the first few nights may be weird...we now know which room it happend in...so we're gonna leave that as the spare room...it happens to be the "box" room so its grand.....
    hope all goes well now next week coz moving is a big deal to me i have to move my whole life like...it takes a big of organising, I've a load of stuff to move ...if it doesnt work out there will be no quick getaway anyway!!!

ya, we've decided to take the house....went back and stayed a bit longer and took time to get a feel for each room...didn't get any bad vibes at all!! moving in on monday so we'll see....Im sure the first few nights may be weird...we now know which room it happend in...so we're gonna leave that as the spare room...it happens to be the "box" room so its grand.....
    hope all goes well now next week coz moving is a big deal to me i have to move my whole life like...it takes a big of organising, I've a load of stuff to move ...if it doesnt work out there will be no quick getaway anyway!!!

oh and just because somebody wasnt happy and took their own life doesnt make them evil or demons like that guy was goin on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

am very glad your happy to be moving in,the other guy who posted just seems to be trying to scare you,silly really.
    i just moved recently so dont envy you the task of all that!!!
    good luck.

am very glad your happy to be moving in,the other guy who posted just seems to be trying to scare you,silly really.
    i just moved recently so dont envy you the task of all that!!!
    good luck.

Scare her? Well, Amityville Horror or The Haunting in Connecticut may be worth a watch/read. ;)

It's either 3am or 4am when the bad stuff seemed to happen in those cases............. Good luck with the house. God bless you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Why are you posting here Kernel,you are just stirring and taking the pi**.Go to after hours and have your laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

holly1 wrote: »
    Why are you posting here Kernel,you are just stirring and taking the pi**.Go to after hours and have your laughs.

He s posting because After Hours isnt very humorous:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

if she isnt there anymore it grand. If she is still there a microwave and a jar of liver and your sorted

holly1 wrote: »

Holly why have you hurt me so? I'm a believer in violent or untimely death leading to hauntings and demonic infestation. I've even pointed you to two allegedly true cases. :( Would you sleep in the room of a man or chick who took their own life? There's a reason murder houses are left vacant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Kernel wrote: »
    Holly why have you hurt me so? I'm a believer in violent or untimely death leading to hauntings and demonic infestation. I've even pointed you to two allegedly true cases. :( Would you sleep in the room of a man or chick who took their own life? There's a reason murder houses are left vacant.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Why did the landlady tell you about it, thats just crazy, it would serve her right for being so stupid if you decided not to move in.

we were thinking it may be a legal requirement to tell people who are moving in if someone took their own life in the house? im not sure but i think so...i dont think u have to disclose info if someone just died of natural causes but id say u havta if someone was murdered etc or in anyways dodge.?...it happend in the box room and we asked the landlady to replace the bed which she actually seems cagey about sayin that she didnt die in that particular bed so we were like has that bed been moved to another room or something and she said no so i dunno whats goin on....she said also that the girl had an eating disorder coz i brought up how its hard to believe a girl died from lighting candles in her room (she said from the fumes?!) so she reckons her immune system was low and that she just died but you'd imagine if it happend in her room she'd be in the bed? maybe the landlady doesnt want the hassle of gettin in a new bed!! she should really tho its only right like...and we really should get the priest in and have a blessing...have to get around to doing that yet...coz i have to say im listening out for sounds and noises as im mostly there during the day by myself...today is day 3....i dont feel uncomfortable just paranoid like its weird i get no bad vibes but im thinkin too much in myhead when im there on my own i suppose itl take a while to get used to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

I've heard of candle fumes killing small animals such as birds but not humans! Why dont you ask for the full name of the girl and along with the address, do a Google search? It should at least be in the Obituries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

bit strange she wont change the bed. Im in the box room in my house and anytime im in the room i hop onto me bed cos there is feck all room. Kinda weird how me one didnt do it in her own bed. Think the landlord is trying to save a few yo yo's.

The more you listen for little noises you will probably end up "hearing" something that might not even be there.
    Best of luck with the house though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Yeh listen, just after reading through this thread, congrats first of all on moving in, its a great feeling getting somewhere new and all that, so don't let this little something take away from that fact.

Don't mind the posters on here messing around, there just talking crap, that sort of things arn't real, this is reality after all. Don't be thinking about it because you will only be purposely listening out for things and then any little creak will be exaggerated in your head, its not worth it.

My best advice would be to have a good moving in party in the house, have a good laugh, and have everyone stay over the night, then you will have settled right in, no more worries or nothing, just live it up and take life with a pinch of salt ! ! !

Best of luck,
    mcgowaner

Advertisement