Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is F**ked, what would you change

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ireland is a lie.

most of the people over here are only out for themselves.

maybe we should look at changing ourselves before looking to change ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Probably hand us back to Great Britain and say sorry for causing such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'd get rid of all the moany feckers for a start.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Here's a bit of a cold shower for you, pal.

Quality of Life Index 2008

On the plus side at least the cost of living here is '0'. I must say I do enjoy living here with my free accomodation, free utilities, free travel, free food and free everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

DrumSteve wrote: »
    ireland is a lie.

most of the people over here are only out for themselves.

maybe we should look at changing ourselves before looking to change ireland.
    I'm starting with the man in the mirror
    I'm asking him to change his ways
    And no message could have been any clearer
    If you wanna make the world a better place
    Take a look at yourself and then make a change
    Eee-heeee! Chamon! Jesus juice!

• Advertisement

Agamemnon wrote: »
    I'm starting with the man in the mirror
    I'm asking him to change his ways
    And no message could have been any clearer
    If you wanna make the world a better place
    Take a look at yourself and then make a change
    Eee-heeee! Chamon! Jesus juice!

That's ignorant! You're ignorant! Chamon!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

funny thing is i was listening to Bad earlier( great album). this idea stuck in my head.

I think its michael jackson who has the answer to all of our problems. we have the massive debt! we the child abuse allegations! we have a ****ty funfair and a zoo! and we used to be quite good back in the day before we changed our image.

Lets just rename Ireland... Neverland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

amacachi wrote: »

111 countries and territories were included in the 2005 Quality of Life Index.[1]

The value of investments may fall or rise, terms & conditions apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

is a crock, it's based on bull**** like acess to Golf Clubs and fancy restaraunts. Its doesnt take into account weather, the culture of the country and all the other things which make life worthwhile.
    Not a damn thing. Name me an other country that offers the quality of life Ireland does.

The answer to which is quite simple. Um, ALL FIRST-WORLD ONES.

We live in a dreary rain-soaked, repressed, drunk, boring country, where the sun shines 2.5 days a year, the last time you spent a day at the beach was in the 80's, the food is easily the worst in the world, but expensive to boot, where people pay 500,000 quid to live in former council houses.

And we dont even have the attitude that used to get us through all this. In the old days, we we're at least charming, well-read, witty, independant, and ugly as sin - but we knew it, and were comfortable with ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

way I see it is

Fat fcuks have made to many mistakes they've shown weekness.
    They can keep on re doing the budget in a hope of, doing something right but due to the fact where lead buy a man whos not worthy to run mac Donald and lacks the gonads to make the dessions that he has to....

What id do is drop the minuim wadge force a nation wide price drop drop the dole. (grante dunions would be up in arms but it has to be done the countrys in this togetaher weather we like it dont beleave or not) eather we stand togeather as nation or we give up and make the country worse...

Concintrate on retraining the unemployed in employable sectors Id create buisness through are ecological play ground we have the most stunning veiw's we need to concintrate on what we have to offer and not what we can try scrounge it make the country cheep. to live cheep for tourists to comeback ...

I'd also reopen night clubs till 5 in the morning there maybe a ression but people still need to party...

I'd also take a look at all current county councill acounts expesise etc, and tell them no morte compnay cars no more exspence's you are payed to work not have luxerey life style protest abpout it id fire them and im shore id find more willing perople who would get the job done..

then id look to the polition's id drop every single one of the junior ministers, like a hot stone, then id reduce the pay ment of every politision, to 50 k a year including the thisocks wadge to fare 60.000 euros a year no free cars or private jets, cloths or 500 euro hair cut's, no expencies what so ever also tax them

I contact richard branson or the likes and ask him does he want to buy the a bus service or puble transport of the country and run it him self...
    Public transport would becoem privateised with a clause that must be tightly obayed with 10% of it still belonging to the givernement..

then Id ask another country to reserch berties case of fraud... and get him on tv answering the questioons about, things that are widely known...

Marty harney would get the sack .... immdatley ... Id allso have her investigated...

id also have the banks deelt with again with a fraud team from another country, then ID look at the developer and have that mess looked again buy people who arnt from this country I declare marshell law over the garda and sease every document etc about the above people

then Id give brain cowin a medal for trying so hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'd change Snow Monkey's spelling, baby jesus is not pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

We're the only people to Score a big fat 0 ZERO for cost of living and next up from us is the UK and things cost half as much there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Savman wrote: »
    I'd change Snow Monkey's spelling, baby jesus is not pleased.

Have you nothing better to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

The address,

obviously after borrowing to the max

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Not a damn thing. Name me an other country that offers the quality of life Ireland does.

Heeeeere we gooooooooooo!

Sweden, Cananda, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, Australia, Finland, Most of the united states, Luxemburg, Spain.

The standard of living in Ireland is equaled or surpased by all of the places I've just listed. Could probably throw in a few Major Asian cities like KL, Tokyo etc too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I wouldnt change a thing......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

end democracy and allow only a select few to vote. ireland(and i presume other small nations in europe and elsewhere) are too insular and narrow-minded(don't mean this as a jibe) how in the world can ff still have a large share of the vote? nobody except for maby 5 per cent should be going for them but i see what my mums attitude is ''if your grandfather heard u were voting for them he'd turn in his grave'

*by the way all nations are like this but its emphasises further when country is smal*

Seaneh wrote: »
    Heeeeere we gooooooooooo!

Sweden, Cananda, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, Australia, Finland, Most of the united states, Luxemburg, Spain.

The standard of living in Ireland is equaled or surpased by all of the places I've just listed. Could probably throw in a few Major Asian cities like KL, Tokyo etc too.

why because 'oz gets zomg hot weather at xmas like zomg' **** australia and the usa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

why because 'oz gets zomg hot weather at xmas like zomg' **** australia and the usa.

No because Oz still has a market in which people can gain employment and achive a standard of living comparable to Ireland.

• Advertisement

is a crock, it's based on bull**** like acess to Golf Clubs and fancy restaraunts. Its doesnt take into account weather, the culture of the country and all the other things which make life worthwhile.

The answer to which is quite simple. Um, ALL FIRST-WORLD ONES.

We live in a dreary rain-soaked, repressed, drunk, boring country, where the sun shines 2.5 days a year, the last time you spent a day at the beach was in the 80's, the food is easily the worst in the world, but expensive to boot, where people pay 500,000 quid to live in former council houses.

And we dont even have the attitude that used to get us through all this. In the old days, we we're at least charming, well-read, witty, independant, and ugly as sin - but we knew it, and were comfortable with ourselves.

typical:rolleyes:

only boring people not places.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Taoiseach's nappies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

It's on the internet so it must be true :D

What do these mean. Is 0 or 100 good or bad?

Cost of Living 0
    Freedom 100
    Risk & Safety 100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

What to change?

- The Irish obsession, no sorry Pyschosis, with property. It got us in this mess fuelled by Government policy.

- A modern public transport system throughout the whole country.

- Consumer Authority that has the power to break up cartels (SMI, CFI, Vitners etc) - This will lower the cost of living and avoid price-fixing. Strict Liability rules apply to cartels found guilty of this. Massive fines, Jail-time for executives etc. The current NCA is a joke.

- Proper corporate and financial regulation. Again strict liability.

- Longer opening hours in pubs and clubs.

- Cafe-bars (to hell with the Publicans).

- Proper planning laws. Builder wants to build an estate? Fine but concurrently they must also build infrastructure and transport to these estates. Compulsory repossession of the land if they fail to do so as standard in planning permission. Again, strict liability rules.

- Law and Order. Enforcement of legislation. Max sentences to mean max sentences. Suspended sentences only for first time offenders (and this dependant on the crime committed).

We can't change the weather, but if we fix certain aspects of what is wrong with the country then it could be a pretty good place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Highsider wrote: »
    Outer Mongolia?
    Opps forgot they actually have better roads
    Communism: gets things done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The fact that we're made to feel miserable when the economy is good and when it's bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Snow Monkey had some good idea's there. I like the one about just paying the politicians 50k a year max. No expenses no massive pensions. They should lead by example not by income.
    :rolleyes:

Privatise the transport system gradually. Privateers must take both lucrative routes and less lucrative ones. This should be done on a two or three yearly contract basis.

Reduce vat drastically on food, clothes and medicine. Keep it reasonable on most other things.

Bring in a judicial system like the American model, where judges are elected or have some form of public accountability for judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I would not allow anyone to go for election to the Dail or Seanad who has a family member as a TD in this generation (brother, first cousin) or the previous generation (father, mother, uncle).

Advertisement