Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athlone bypass! should it be a motorway?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Apart from athlone and bypass I added two more tags that are relevant to the thread ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mysterious wrote: »
    It's not going to be high speed.

I've already explained this to you.

What part of this do not understand. The speed limit is 100kmh. Traffic doesnt go very slow on the bypass.

You really are looking for some ridiculous argument " i waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant my motorwa"

What part of "100km/h is high speed" do you not understand? It is already a high speed strategic route - whatever you believe. It has to be protected from development and made safer by excluding dangerous traffic and again - no matter what delusions you believe - the only way this can be done is by redesignation to motorway. There are no special road rules here, we are not in the United Kingdom despite the fact you seem to think we are...

Ironically enough, the bull**** of "blue road" you've invented as what appears to be your sole argument of late is actually happening - blue signs, and I expect we'll see it blue on maps whether or not it gets a motorway order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Common sense dictates to me, that if I use the bypass I shouldn't be at risk of one of the handful of farmers with slow vehicles ploughing into me.

Why would you be going slower than a slow tractor that a slow agricultural vehicle would plough into you?

If you mean you'ld plough into a slow agricultural vehicle, then you should drive safer and expect the unexpected.

I've reported sheep and horses on the existing M6 to the Gardaí on 2 different occasions already. I've seen 2 deer narrowly miss wrecking a car on the N8 outside Abbeyleix. these things happen, irrespective of the status of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

dannym08 wrote: »
    you said that all the traffic from the National Secondary Routes will be forced to use the towns bridge. That is not true.

No I didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

No I didn't
    But you did throw them in to cause confustion

Edit: Here's what you said before:
    What about the N55 and N63? they have to go down narrow streets.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

So ... Yes you did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Why would you be going slower than a slow tractor that a slow agricultural vehicle would plough into you?

Some tractor drivers have a habit of thinking the hard shoulder is their own exclusive lane. I could easily have stopped in the hard shoulder or be pulling out from it and have one plough into me.
    If you mean you'ld plough into a slow agricultural vehicle, then you should drive safer and expect the unexpected.

If I'm on a high-speed route, I expect the traffic to be doing a minimum of 50 km/h. I am more than aware you should expect the unexpected, but if I'm forced to either suddenly brake to compensate for a slow-moving 20 or 30 km/h tractor or to drive slower on an inter-urban route (where there is little reason for there not to be restrictions) then that is unacceptable. Of course the "solution" is for slow-moving tractors to move into the hard shoulder which could lead to the type of accident described above.

SeanW wrote: »
    But you did throw them in to cause confustion

Edit: Here's what you said before:
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

So ... Yes you did!

No i DIDN'T

He mis quoted me:)

He said I SAID "ALL TRAIFFIC WOULD BE DIVERTED. I SAID NO SUCH THING"

:)
    Now I will say it again. I said where will the non motorway traffic go from the N55 and N63. You have non motorway traffic already diverted through the town. You have other National routes leading to the town bridge that is currently congested. The current route is not up to spec as it is, never mind the fact of the current traffic levels.

I mean what I say and say what I mean. I don't respect people distorting my words.

Got it god.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Some tractor drivers have a habit of thinking the hard shoulder is their own exclusive lane. I could easily have stopped in the hard shoulder or be pulling out from it and have one plough into me.

So you want all national routes motorway.
    I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant my motorway:D

Stomp stomp. I want it now. A tractor will plough into me god damn it.

Your obsessed now.

If I'm on a high-speed route, I expect the traffic to be doing a minimum of 50 km/h. I am more than aware you should expect the unexpected, but if I'm forced to either suddenly brake to compensate for a slow-moving 20 or 30 km/h tractor or to drive slower on an inter-urban route (where there is little reason for there not to be restrictions) then that is unacceptable. Of course the "solution" is for slow-moving tractors to move into the hard shoulder which could lead to the type of accident described above.

Oh I know the TGVs are very fast.

Every national route in the country is 100kmh. Tractors drive on them But waaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute. It's the Athlone bypass, where its something spectacular, eh i dunno. eh. meh.

Blunt if there was no bridge in the town your arguement would be the same and dont lie. Your obsessed with roads thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I hate this fvcking thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your obsessed now.

(snip)

Your obsessed with roads thats all.

Pot. Kettle. Black... although in this case I think its the pot calling an electric kettle black

You're obsessed with the Athlone BP being DC. You're extremely obsessed with roads to the point of designing (generally impossible) fantasy junctions.

• Advertisement

I wish they'd hurry up and make a decision! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Furet wrote: »
    I hate this fvcking thread.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

I want my Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen line.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant my motorway:D
    Knock it off.

Advertisement