Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebs worth the title "Role Model"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

tbh wrote: »

As a liverpool fan, it kills me to say it, but Wayne Rooney has done some pretty nice things, including this, as reported by popbitch:

This week Nike released a new video showing Wayne Rooney being nutmegged by a local kid. A Man Utd fanzine reported that Rooney was
    so amused that he offered football tickets to the kid involved. It wasn't just an empty gesture, as one night Rooney called up the young lad and told him to come meet him, then handed over the tickets and fifty quid for the kid and his mate to have a drink at the match. - you'd have to respect that.

Speaking of sports stars, I had the good fortune to bump into Bernard Dunne recently and a nicer, more humble guy you couldn't wish to meet. All the time in the world to talk, very self-effacing and of course he got where he is through hard work.

if I think of anymore, I'll let you know!

He is also a granny lover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

If we're talking footballers there is no better role model than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - loyal, uncomplaining and at one point, at the height of his career, said he wasn't bothered about a pay increase because there's only so much money a person can use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Jenna Haze

erm probably not x.gif

I think you'd have to look at older celebrities who kept their nose clean and did good work over the years, possibly celebs who donated money to others.

Brad Pitt for example hasn't had any major drug convictions (though there's no doubt he's been a drug user), but he has adopted a number of kids who otherwise might have lived in poverty. He's also involved with charity, that's not bad!

Sean Penn is also involved with charities and good causes, but he pretty politically biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

tiger woods is the ultimate role model. The man is one of the most inspirational people around.

Whereas kate moss is the exact opposite. I detest that girl.

How about some of the clean living stars. I really like jennifer aniston, kept her dignity after that break up.
    Liam neeson. Very few spring to mind.
    Cant think of anyone in pop world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    tiger woods is the ultimate role model. The man is one of the most inspirational people around.
    Sorry, I wouldn't agree with you there. He is the world's finest golfer but he is a very sore loser, snarls when things don't go right for him and spits his way around a golf course. The fact that he has a relatively poor Ryder Cup record is evidence of the his inability to get along with others.
    I do appreciate that, to get to the top of the tree, many gifted people are driven like that but I would not consider him a role model

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

BIG fan of Johnny Depp for years.

He gave a 1 million to Great Ormond Street after his daughter was treated there. He also spent a few hours reading bedtime stories to kids dressed up as Jack Sparrow. He also gives a few bob to hospitals in California.

He seems to be genuinely nice to people he meets.

Would love to have a pint with the man ( wouldnt mind an auld snog either)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

tbh wrote: »
    As a liverpool fan, it kills me to say it, but Wayne Rooney has done some pretty nice things, including this, as reported by popbitch:

This week Nike released a new video showing Wayne Rooney being nutmegged by a local kid. A Man Utd fanzine reported that Rooney was
    so amused that he offered football tickets to the kid involved. It wasn't just an empty gesture, as one night Rooney called up the young lad and told him to come meet him, then handed over the tickets and fifty quid for the kid and his mate to have a drink at the match. - you'd have to respect that.

Sorry, but Rooney's hardly a role-model and being nice to kids doesn't make him one.

Whilst he was going out with Coleen McLoughlin he slept with prostitutes, not once but TWICE

That being said, Coleen is hardly a role model herself, seeing as she ended up marrying the cheating scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I guess once you've made one mistake, you're tarred with it for life. No point trying to redeem yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

The problem is that most famous people lose their heads once they reach a certain level of success. There's nowhere else for them to go, they have loads of money, and they don't know what to do with themselves. Then they get older and it all begins to slip away. It's sad really, but with the dizzying heights inevitably come the lows.

In today's world, it is very hard to be a role model, when every morally questionable thing you've ever done in your life will be digged up and paraded for the whole world to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CelineLarr

coconut5 wrote: »
    In today's world, it is very hard to be a role model, when every morally questionable thing you've ever done in your life will be digged up and paraded for the whole world to see.

Very true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Paul Newman

• was an amazing actor
    • had a long and happy marriage to a fellow actor (how unusual)
    • raised over 200million and counting for charity
    • lived a very private and dignified life despite being one of most famous men ever
    • was racing cars (and winning competitions) well into his 70's !!!
    • When he died there was nothing but good things said about him !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

CelineLarr wrote: »
    Yeah Geldof is worth looking up to.

Pity his daughters couldn't follow his example ....

What's wrong with his daughters?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I feel sad for the teens that have Pussycat Trolls and Paris Hilton as role models. Even Vanessa Hudgens and Miley Cyrus are turning out to be little tramps...

I love Kelly Clarkson. She's just genuine, down to earth, funny, hard working and incredibly talented. I really admire that she's doesn't conform, she'll say what she wants and doesn't have a cookie cutter image. She had bulimia in high school but now seems proud of her curves. She wears what she wants and never looks trampy or uncomfortable. She's so pretty too.

Her album My December was darker and heavier than her earlier work. It was written and produced by Kelly. No one wanted her to put it out, her concerts were cancelled, radios wouldn't play her songs and she fell out with her record company. She put it out anyway and produced one of my favourite albums ever it's just honest, pure, raw and beautiful.

Love her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CelineLarr

Affable wrote: »
    What's wrong with his daughters?

Well just taking Peaches as an example, she is completely clueless as to what the REAL world is about. She has this massive ego and tells everyone who'll listen that she's a real and amazing writer, even though anyone who reads her stuff can tell it's Secondary School Magazine material and knows she only gets to right because of her name.
    I read this one interview with her where she scoffed at journalists who worked for practically every UK newspaper (she made one exception but I can't remember which one...probably The Times) saying they were selling out and pretty much scum and just fobbed off a suggestion that they were doing it to put food on the table. She just said that people should just do the job they want.
    DO THE JOB THEY WANT!!!???
    I was furious!!! How blatantly rude and clueless a remark was that ...ESP since she said it while RECESSION was being screamed at us everywhere.

Her dad is a humanitarian and works for others and uses his fame to help.
    What has she done, except tell us how she's made it all on her own a countless number of times!

Lol ...I have some issues with Peaches ...and really any other clueless eejit who just spouts crap just to sound important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

I think it's more inspirational to look at every day people who are Role Models. Celebrities seem too driven by their own vanity.

To say Solskjaer didn't care much about a pay rise? That's not hard to do when you're on £100,000 or so a week! :rolleyes:

Advertisement