Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celebs worth the title "Role Model"

Options
  • 01-04-2009 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey Guys,

I'm working on a new post for my blog on the role of celebrities as people to look up to!

I'm wondering what your opinions are on the matter, who you think is a worthy role model in the world of Showbiz and general opinions on Celeb behaviour!!

Here's a couple of posts I've done in the past that touch on the subject so you can get an idea what I'm talking about, or even just get some ideas rolling around your heads:
    <snip>

Thanks in advance! *hug*

Catherine
    http://chicknamedhermia.wordpress.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

CelineLarr wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I'm working on a new post for my blog

At least you're honest truthful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CelineLarr

At least you're honest truthful.

I'm not sure I follow...

Why wouldn't I say why I wanted people's opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭metamorphic

Paul Newman?

some of the sports celebs seem to lend themselves to "role model" a little bit more. try hard, play fair, stay healthy etc.

actors/musicians tend to be egomaniacs and spoilt to a greater or lesser extent.

People trying to aspire to Z list, reality tv celeb type stuff should be discouraged. It's almost a failing in life if you end up in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jenna Haze

Paul Newman?

some of the sports celebs seem to lend themselves to "role model" a little bit more. try hard, play fair, stay healthy etc.

actors/musicians tend to be egomaniacs and spoilt to a greater or lesser extent.

People trying to aspire to Z list, reality tv celeb type stuff should be discouraged. It's almost a failing in life if you end up in that category.

That's a really good point.

It's almost sickening when you see the hoards of wannabes pouring into the big brother house each year, all desperate for fame and nothing caring who they have to trample or how many times they have to degrade themselves to get it!

As regards sports stars, who would you think would qualify as a role model? When you look at the likes of Ronaldo who's main concern seems to be how tanned he is and hear the 'night out' scandals, it's sometimes hard to view the area as one where a person can find a legitimate role model However sheer sense proves that in an area where a person needs to apply and dedicate themselves so wholly, it should be overflowing with idols!

• Advertisement

Jenna Haze

Not quite what I was looking for, but thanks for your input!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I'm not sure I follow...

Why wouldn't I say why I wanted people's opinions?

It's not wanting them, it's why you want them.

It's not wanting them, it's why you want them.

That's what I asked: why wouldn't I tell people WHY I wanted their opinions?
    I don't see it as a problem to ask for ideas for a blog, so why would I need to hide it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Not quite what I was looking for, but thanks for your input!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

That's what I asked: why wouldn't I tell people WHY I wanted their opinions?
    I don't see it as a problem to ask for ideas for a blog, so why would I need to hide it?

you know the bit in the PM you get when you join the site, that says "Please don't join if you just want to pimp your blog/band/whatever"?

thats why.

• Advertisement

I'm hardly pimping my blog.
    If I was doing that I'd be starting threads that said READ MY BLOG!, which I'm not. I'm just looking for ideas from the general public for a blog post and where better to go than an online forum!

However if people do feel I'm trying to plug my blog, then fair enough: don't click on the link and don't comment on the thread, and we'll all get along like a peach pie!

why are you typing the url of your blog in your posts? you could have asked the question without giving examples, it's a pretty straightforward question :) Typing your url makes it look like you are trying to look like you are looking for opinions, but are actually trying to pimp your blog. It's all the same to me, btw, just letting you know that people who pimp their stuff usually get banned. You may care, you may not :)

tbh wrote: »
    why are you typing the url of your blog in your posts? you could have asked the question without giving examples, it's a pretty straightforward question :) Typing your url makes it look like you are trying to look like you are looking for opinions, but are actually trying to pimp your blog. It's all the same to me, btw, just letting you know that people who pimp their stuff usually get banned. You may care, you may not :)

Well as I said, I put the urls there to basically start the idea-ball rolling and the link under my name was just so y'all knew I was legit.
    I get annoyed when people post random comments on my blog, just to leave their own url there or to sell a product, and so I was being completely upfront and letting everyone know exactly why I was posting!

No, I'm not 'pimping my blog' and yes, I will be taking people's ideas on board to use in my own blog. There are links there so if you know what the blog is like and then if you don't want to be part of the opinion-giving that's fine.

But it's hardly like my only posts on Boards are here with a blog link.

that's very true, should have sent you a PM rather than taking the thread off-topic.

so!

As a liverpool fan, it kills me to say it, but Wayne Rooney has done some pretty nice things, including this, as reported by popbitch:

This week Nike released a new video showing Wayne Rooney being nutmegged by a local kid. A Man Utd fanzine reported that Rooney was
    so amused that he offered football tickets to the kid involved. It wasn't just an empty gesture, as one night Rooney called up the young lad and told him to come meet him, then handed over the tickets and fifty quid for the kid and his mate to have a drink at the match. - you'd have to respect that.

Speaking of sports stars, I had the good fortune to bump into Bernard Dunne recently and a nicer, more humble guy you couldn't wish to meet. All the time in the world to talk, very self-effacing and of course he got where he is through hard work.

if I think of anymore, I'll let you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm hardly pimping my blog.
    If I was doing that I'd be starting threads that said READ MY BLOG!, which I'm not. I'm just looking for ideas from the general public for a blog post and where better to go than an online forum!

However if people do feel I'm trying to plug my blog, then fair enough: don't click on the link and don't comment on the thread, and we'll all get along like a peach pie!

Hate peach pie! Got anything else?

that's very true, should have sent you a PM rather than taking the thread off-topic.

so!

As a liverpool fan, it kills me to say it, but Wayne Rooney has done some pretty nice things, including this, as reported by popbitch:

This week Nike released a new video showing Wayne Rooney being nutmegged by a local kid. A Man Utd fanzine reported that Rooney was
    so amused that he offered football tickets to the kid involved. It wasn't just an empty gesture, as one night Rooney called up the young lad and told him to come meet him, then handed over the tickets and fifty quid for the kid and his mate to have a drink at the match. - you'd have to respect that.

Speaking of sports stars, I had the good fortune to bump into Bernard Dunne recently and a nicer, more humble guy you couldn't wish to meet. All the time in the world to talk, very self-effacing and of course he got where he is through hard work.

if I think of anymore, I'll let you know!

Actually Rooney is a good example. He seems genuinely down to earth and unphased by his success and that story there is a good example!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I've taken out the links to your blog, OP. I appreciate you taking the time to explain where you were coming from, but let's be honest here: it was blog pimpage. People don't need to read stuff that you've written to be able to form an opinion on celebrity role models:P Also the link is in your signature so if people that badly want to check out your blog, they can do it on their own initiative.

Give me a PM if you want to talk about this anymore.

Now, back on topic with y'all. My tuppence worth: Celebrity role models? Pah. There are famous people who I look up to (Naomi Klein, Rachel Maddow, Samantha Power) but it's because of what they've done, not who they are. I'm not going to look up to someone because they manage the awesome feat of having good hair or marrying someone good-looking. Screw that.

I think tbh is on the money with people like Wayne Rooney. People who have true talent *and* seem to be decent individuals ftw.

Stargal wrote: »
    I've taken out the links to your blog, OP. I appreciate you taking the time to explain where you were coming from, but let's be honest here: it was blog pimpage. People don't need to read stuff that you've written to be able to form an opinion on celebrity role models:P Also the link is in your signature so if people that badly want to check out your blog, they can do it on their own initiative.

Give me a PM if you want to talk about this anymore.

Now, back on topic with y'all. My tuppence worth: Celebrity role models? Pah. There are famous people who I look up to (Naomi Klein, Rachel Maddow, Samantha Power) but it's because of what they've done, not who they are. I'm not going to look up to someone because they manage the awesome feat of having good hair or marrying someone good-looking. Screw that.

I wonder is there a common denominator, I would suggest:
    • Tangible Talent
    • Humility
    • Tendency to "give something back" - usually time more than money
    • Self-effacing

another story that occurs to me is the story of Niall Quinn paying taxi fares for sunderland fans when they missed their plane, I think. Story here:
    Yesterday we played Cardiff away. We, like a lot of other people, flew down to Bristol and got the train over, and were scheduled back on the 9:25pm flight from Bristol to Newcastle last night after the match.

As we were waiting at the gate to board the plane, Quinny, Louise Wanless (club PR), and four journalists from the club and the Sunderland Echo joined the back of the queue, and recieved a round of applause and a rendition of Niall Quinn's Disco Pants in appreciation. There was no rowdy behaviour, no drunk and disorderly passengers, just people standing in a queue to board the plane.

Me and my mate were the first through, and walked up the stairs and through the cabin doors. We were greeted by the captain, who told us to turn around and go back, and that the plane would not be taking off yet.

We were all sent to this little hut, and were treat like ****e off Easyjet staff. Eventually we were told to board again, but were sat on the run way for a good 20 minutes after the scheduled departure time. Suddenly, a swarm of police ran up the stairs, and the trolley dollys began randomly picking people out and chucking them off the plane. Amongst those kicked off were a teenage lad with learning difficulties who they accused of being drunk, Si, a lad we know with one leg, who was kicked off for taking his false leg off, and a couple in their 50s who they kicked off for pressing the call button, then accused them of being drunk (the wife was tee total and the husband was driving), reducing them to tears.

Quinny then stood up and said "I'm not having this," and got off the plane telling Easyjet staff "These are my people." Just after he got off, my mate was thrown off for using his phone in flight mode, so obviously the rest of us weren't going to leave him and got off with him.

Despite them accusing just about everybody of being drunk, nobody was arrested, and we were sent down into the baggage collection room. Quinny gathered us all round and said "Don't worry, stay calm and don't give them any ammunition to arrest us, we will win and we'll get you home tonight, I promise." Meanwhile, the poor lad with learning difficulties who had been kicked off was in bits, breaking his heart panicking. Quinny and Louise Wanless consoled him, calmed him down, and were absolute gents to everybody.

Quinny then went off with the police to try and resolve the whole thing, whilst around 20 armed guards with the biggest **** off machine guns stood around us. When he came back, Quinny said there was a "ridiculous situation" where those left on the plane would be put on the 7:15pm flight on Sunday, and those who had been kicked off or walked off would have to make their own way home. The whole flight had been cancelled.

True to his word, Quinny organised 40 taxis for all 160 people on the flight back home, at a cost of £600 each, all pre-paid for in cash by Quinny and Louise Wanless. Quinny made sure the operation went to plan, getting in the last taxi after everyone else had gone, which was well after 1am. Throughout the night he was great craic and totally down to earth, and everybody there rallied round looking out for one another. Got home just after 5am, 6 and a half hours after we were scheduled to arrive in Newcastle, but it was totally worth it.

The man is a living legend. How many other footballers, managers or chairmen would do a thing like that? He isn't just an ex-player, not just a chairman, but he is one of us.

My liver is probably ****ed, but he has first dabs on my kidneys if he ever needs it.

Easyjet are complete bastards like. Quinny was saying he'd sent the club solicitor onto the flight and she had recorded it all, and the Easyjet staff were walked round with their name badges covered up and refused to give their names. They can **** reet off.

As I say though, all hail King Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

2 girls from the north of gc land Katie Taylor and Aine o Gorman and Rosin Mcgettigan from my own parish all 3 have done a lot for this country Between Boxing/Football and Athletics !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sir Bobby Robson.

True gentleman, cancer fighter and his foundation has raised millions for cancer research.
    Couldn't get any better than him.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2009/02/collins-and-har.html

• Advertisement

All great points, but what about the areas of film and music? It's those areas that are splashed more heavily across the media and those areas that would have the bigger influence on people?
    Who're the good guys and who're the baddies?

music: Bono?!?!? Hornets nest. But fair play, the ends justify the means and he's done a lot of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

so!

quote]

Yeah but you also have to factor in the granny hookers, constant swearing at refs and tendency to lose his temper all to often (united fan btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

All great points, but what about the areas of film and music? It's those areas that are splashed more heavily across the media and those areas that would have the bigger influence on people?
    Who're the good guys and who're the baddies?

Honestly I think very few of them would be goodies really.
    Most actors/actresses/singers etc come across as dimwits or stuck up their own ass. eg Bono for example...every 2nd person seems to hate him and think that his Africa more is more a personal ego thing than for the good of Africa itself.
    If anythign you're more inclined to find the good guys in Sports like Soccer/Rugby etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

music: Bono?!?!? Hornets nest. But fair play, the ends justify the means and he's done a lot of good.

Oh sweet mother of jesus.
    The only ends he has brought about would be means for himself.
    A hypocritical,money-grabbing,tax-avoiding hypocrite(note use of word hypocrite twice.Three times now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭dougie ward

henry rollins is a role model and an advocater of human rights,he gets my vote!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If not Bono, then how about Geldof?

Bono may have the best intentions in the world, but we can only judge on appearances, and it certainly appears like he's more interest in publicity than genuinely helping the third world.

Geldof on the other hand, comes across as somebody who really does try to help the third world. I certainly would look up to Geldof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Ryan Giggs. Roger Federer. Robbie Earle. People like that. Just generally respectable guys. JJ Cale, Robert Cray. Caroline Aherne. Just people who are real talenetd but don't blow their own horn a lot.

Certainly not tossers like Blair.

Yeah Geldof is worth looking up to.

Pity his daughters couldn't follow his example ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Actually Rooney is a good example. He seems genuinely down to earth and unphased by his success and that story there is a good example!

I can't agree. A good role-model should be someone who always sets a good example. Rooney is hardly that. Anytime you see him on TV, he is mouthing off at the referee, and he did admit to visiting prostitutes and massage parlours while in a relationship. Hardly a role-model, despite examples of kindness.

I would agree with Bernard Dunne being a good example. Paul O'Connell too. I'm struggling to think of a good one from the footballing world to be honest.

I guess it all boils down to what you want your role-model to represent. Do you want them to show examples of how to live a good life? Forget that, they live in a different world altogether. If you want them to be good examples of how to strive to be the best in their chosen field, then you could look at the likes of Dunne, O'Connell, Roy Keane, Katie Taylor etc..

Advertisement