Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Budget Worries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

im a rural publican, charge 3.80 for guinness and larger for 4.

If they , (which i think they will) increase the drink, they will close ANOTHER 1000 pubs. And loss of thousands of jobs.

1/3rd of the gov. budget is spend on social walfare..FACT..

Cut dole after 6 months to half. BUT if they can prove they are looking for work, no cut. The genuine person.

Long term un-imployed, you know the people, NEVER worked in there life,
    should be sent out to clean up the place or do other local jobs in there area.
    These waisters are good for notting.

get rid of young ones getting FREE houses. havin babys who grow up as the next generation of waisters.

Like a friend of mind in the other day talking about the dole. He would be better off NOT working, and clame every benefit going. dole for 2. medical card.free fuel. free line rental. free esb. The list goes on and on.

And who are the gov. going to hit again? the working man.

6.40 tax on 20 fags.
    1.30 on a pint.

and they cant run the country.

get michael o leary and fire the shower in power.

m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I won't see my rent going down, I can guarantee this. I will ask my landloard but if it doesn't go down I will have to move out. Losing my deposit and whatnot.

Landlords will still make their money.

My father is a landlord and when the economy started going bad he reduced the rent. Pretty fair if you ask me.

I just hope that the levy doesn't increase too much and we don't get screwed over too much. As it is myself and my girlfriend can live. We do not go out or spend money on much more then bills, rent and food. We rarely drink and our highest recreational expence is for our internet and TV. Which is fine for the moment. Would love to join the gym and go to the cinema every so often, but we cannot at the moment. :(

Rent a place off your dad? ;)

Wow Im solving problems like there's no tomorrow. Maybe I'll do the budget so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

the poor,the sick,the dying and the disabled will all feel the wrath of Fianna Fail

nothing new in that, what about the impoverished developers, bankers, estate agents et al, what kind of help will they recieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I hope they dont touch carers. If they do they can look after the people the carers do. See if they can do it cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I hope they dont touch carers. If they do they can look after the people the carers do. See if they can do it cheaper.

To be frank, sadly they too will be more than likely targeted. One group amid many.

The government KNOWS there is going to be an real strong reaction to the coming budget - but I seriously don't think or know just how strong the reaction is going to be.

Seriously, after the budget
    - expect for a short while every Fianna Fail member to go into hiding keeping off our main streets or at least keep a low profile.
    - expect more serious street protests (I also acknowledge that others consider this form of protest ineffectual - thats open for debate but - people will do this if only to at least do something in protest at what will come)
    - I think (and I hope I am wrong - I would willingly be glad to be proven so) that it will lead to serious trouble somewhere in the capital with the Gardi in the front-line getting the lash on the streets.

As for when - not if - when they cut the dole, the backlash reaction can't be underestimated from a few that will have nothing better to do but lash back out at figures of authority.
    ...and thats a scary thought that we are at that very brink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

there will be atax on dogs, see how they like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

They couldn't do it cheaper, €100+ per day per caree, Carer gets €234 per week per caree ...

Well they've already scuppered the National Carer's Strategy, so I'm not holding my breath. I fully expect the respite grant to be taken off us, or at least reduced dramatically.

:mad:

They couldn't do it cheaper, €100+ per day per caree, Carer gets €234 per week per caree ...

Well they've already scuppered the National Carer's Strategy, so I'm not holding my breath. I fully expect the respite grant to be taken off us, or at least reduced dramatically.

If my hearing was right, on Questions and Answers tonight, the FF rep' said that one third of the cuts would be social welfare related.
    IF that turns out to be true - its going to be fun (not) soon after the budget is announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Do ye think I should hold off on the MacBook purchase so?

Do ye think I should hold off on the MacBook purchase so?

Not sure about that but I'd suggest not buying a Dell! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Biggins wrote: »
    If my hearing was right, on Questions and Answers tonight, the FF rep' said that one third of the cuts would be social welfare related.
    IF that turns out to be true - its going to be fun (not) soon after the budget is announced.

Someone want to mind my parents while I march on the Dail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'm worried boggers will still be allowed run the country and have a vote :( Everybody knows it is their fault. Simpletons not used to having money, property developers and the like, got trigger happy and carefree. Now look what they have done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

BrightEyes wrote: »
    I'm worried boggers will still be allowed run the country and have a vote :( Everybody knows it is their fault. Simpletons not used to having money, property developers and the like, got trigge happy and carefree. Now look what they have done!

They have always had the money (and probably still do).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

"i remember that summer in dublin, And the liffey as it stunk like hell...."

I'd slash the dole for the long term unemployed.

on the dole longer then a year? Good Luck.

Make people on the dole do some sort of Civic Service, like Cut grass, clean parks, clear grafitti.

i'd Burn the population of Letrim as well. i just plain dont like that place, and Hope a tax on Living there comes into effect.

I'd slash VAT to 15%, to compete with the UK, and Slash Corp tax down to 10%, to make ireland more attractive for overseas investment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

To be replaced by who??
    (Sad but true!!):(

Incorrect. You don't congratulate incompetents by voting them back in. You vote them out. Then if the next lot are incompetent you vote them out too. The hope being that if you vote these clowns out often enough they will get the message that they actually have to work hard to keep their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I think the under 5 payment will be abolished completly. I get it and will miss it but i really do think it's for the road. We never had it before the boom, and as much of a help as it is we have to face the fact the country cant afford it.

The childrens allowance is going to be messed with. I can see them redeucing it and incorporating it into your tax credits some how.

God help working people with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Incorrect. You don't congratulate incompetents by voting them back in. You vote them out. Then if the next lot are incompetent you vote them out too. The hope being that if you vote these clowns out often enough they will get the message that they actually have to work hard to keep their jobs.

Or they all just likely stay incompetent and realise they still get into power every five years as they take it in turns.

If the opposition cant use a golden opportunity to shine they are no way getting my vote.

So far their performance is abysmal especially labours carry on which the public finally woke up to with their 5% decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im hoping that VAT will be cut to match the UK's rate or at the very least create a new 15% rate and put a lot of products into that category.

I cant see cigarettes getting put up by that much. If they are priced too high more people will just buy them on the black market.

Long term unemployed people who are fit for work should be given jobs in their area to do e.g cutting the grass, painting railings etc. If nothing else it will give people something to do and perhaps give them so confidence that they are a productive member of society.

Career breaks for Public Servents for up to 3 years where they will receive a payment each week equal to Unemployment benefit.

Also put a €50 euro tax on all purchases of Pyjamas. There are that many people wearing them out in the streets now that the government could make a fortune on this fashion trend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

themadchef wrote: »
    The childrens allowance is going to be messed with. I can see them redeucing it and incorporating it into your tax credits some how.

God help working people with kids.

This should be messed with. How is it that children's allowance is still not means tested? The mega rich in this country do not need government hand outs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I would be worried if they didnt bring down to VAT rate on goods. It should be brought down to 17-18%. It is needed in places such as Sligo where shops are closing down nearly every week because of the weaker sterling in Enniskillen.

I expect the budget to take another 400 off me a year with another 1% of income levy. They will probably take some other bits and pieces off me as well like petrol increases and tax on texting. I accept watever the government have to tax on me as I know its needed to get the country back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Its really sad to see how they have 27% of the votes this week in the sunday business post. There is too many local gobeens in this country we will never see a vote on the policies of a party. Its the same attitude that oh that lad from FF help me with this therefore Im going to support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

The projected "10% drop in living standards" translating into a 20 quid drop in the dole. I would be suprised if it was cut to that level, but not that suprised. Most people on the dole would find their budget cut to the bone after a drop like that.

Edit: just remembered a a 20 quid drop is FAR more than a 10% drop in living standards, so a 20 quid drop is unlikely!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its tax increases in PAYE or PRSI that Im fearful of. Or other dodgy taxes like property tax. They are unavoidable. You have no choice as an individual.

Take for example. Alcohol. As a consumer if tax goes up, you can still make the choice of whether or not to purchase it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

ShooterSF wrote: »
    This should be messed with. How is it that children's allowance is still not means tested? The mega rich in this country do not need government hand outs.

Totally agree with you. I know people who saved every cent of it since their kids were born. I'm not one of them. Maybe im just jealous...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How is it that children's allowance is still not means tested?

In the run up to the last budget some FF lacky said that the revenue computer system and the social welfare system are not connected, they did want to means test it but couldn't do it easily.
    Have you ever heard such a ****e excuse in your life? I still dont think there will be big cuts in CA, FF just dont seem to have the guts to mess with mothers and children. Old people, sick and disabled, thats a different story.

I predict;
    • Fags up €1
    • Petrol up 10c, Diesel up 15c
    • Alcohol duty 5%
    • Income levy up 1% and lower bands for 2% & 3% increases
    • New tax bracket, maybe 48%
    • Property tax, per property (not going on size)
    • New changes to dole, maybe not cutting amounts, but cutting eligibility lengths. If you were on the dole in 2005 when unemployment was so low, you don't deserve it now.

I think VAT will be cut, especially since BL saying it was a mistake to increase it last time. If they increase income related taxes by as much as i think, they could lover VAT to 15%, it might not make much difference, but its the kind of thinking needed.

Advertisement