Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Budget Worries

Options
  • 30-03-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

As I'm sure everyone is aware, the first emergency budget of the year is due on 7th April. So I'm just wondering what everyone is most fearful of.
    For me personally, I'm a public sector worker so I'm insanely wealthy and therefore not worried about too much.
    However, I am going on my first foreign holiday of the year next week and am a bit worried that in my absence that the entire country will be moved in an effort to hide from our creditors and that I won't be able to find my way back.
    Share your worries here... well not right here... you post a reply... well I'm sure you know how boards works at this stage
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

College fees, going into college in September.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

George while you're away the country will descend into anarchy. It'll be a Mad Max type situation by the time you get back so stock up on automatic weapns when you're away.

Serious answer = I'm afraid they'll put up the price of beer. I am that shallow, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

I am afraid they won't put up ciggerettes 2 euros. My uncle said he would give them up if they go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As long as they don't bring in a population reduction plan, I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    George while you're away the country will descend into anarchy. It'll be a Mad Max type situation by the time you get back so stock up on automatic weapns when you're away.

Thanks for the heads-up. If anyone has contact details for arms dealers in the Seychelles could they pass them on. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

theteal was born on the 7th of April. WORST PRESENT EVER!

selfish i know but this is the way of our glorious land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

As I'm sure everyone is aware, the first emergency budget of the year is due on 7th April. So I'm just wondering what everyone is most fearful of.

I'm sick and tired of all this doom and gloom, "Emergency Budget", could they have called something more upbeat like the 'Ultra Happy Fun Budget", I sure every1 would be a lot more happier and less fearful about it if it had a nicer name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Hope they don't take anything away from older people, especially medical card entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

That Fianna Fail **** it all up again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

College Fees

'Rescue Me' returns on the 7th! (FX)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hope that petrol isn't increased. It's not cheap driving to NI for cigarettes and booze ya know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

I am petrified that they'll start taxing gold and diamonds. My secure warehouse is filled with 24 carrot bullion and "ice" (to borrow a hiphop-ism).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the poor,the sick,the dying and the disabled will all feel the wrath of Fianna Fail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've my own personal budget to be worry about let alone some solicitor headed budget. :(

We'll probably all be taxed more in some way, then this money will be investe.. And it's GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6J0BDeGvqU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I've stopped caring because FF will only crush whatever bit of hope I have left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Empties out purse on table. LOOKS while stomach growls. Counts pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters. Hurrah! If I skip the soft drink, I can have a burger!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I am worried that the will Nationalise the peoples savings and replace them with Government Bonds (IOU's) in the new Nationalised Banks, Due to this fear I swiftly transferred a large proportion of my personal wealth to UBS in Geneva.

I also am afraid they will meddle with Road Tax and Fuel Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I hope that petrol isn't increased. It's not cheap driving to NI for cigarettes and booze ya know

Duh. Get your petrol up there.

(You're welcome)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

the poor,the sick,the dying and the disabled will all feel the wrath of Fianna Fail

A prediction: By the time the Brians have finished with us --

Everyone will be poor and in debt for fifty generations (escape by using contraceptives).

The sick will die because they have closed all the hospital beds and sacked all the nurses and doctors while increasing the number of administrators to manage the closures.

The dying will be encouraged to do so with a bit more alacrity so as to reduce their cost to the public purse. A bill to permit euthanasia will be passed through the Dáil.

The disabled will find a tax of 40% placed on their disability payments and wheelchair users will be charged a wheelchair tax.

This is of course necessary otherwise the government is going to run out of money to pay top banker's and minister's salaries and those of the appointees to quangoes. If these radical and decisive steps are not taken,
    then the likes of Minister Cullen will have to start travelling economy class, and we can't have that, can we? Where's our pride as a first world economy?

Oh, and we will have to turn the clock back a couple of centuries and reintroduce the evictions so that the banks can reposess properties or they will again run out of money.

If anyone wants to know, there is a replica Famine ship in New Ross, and bookings are being taken at the moment:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If they decide to take money away from those who least have it, the scraping by elderly, the very low paid and the hanicapped, dying, etc...
    I expect (and hope!) FF to fall out of office within a month.

I know, I know, the sap bought off greens will prop them up again before that will happen. Depressing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:(

Instead of spending to get us out of the recessions, which so far seems to be what every one else is doing because it usually works, they will cut back spending and raise taxes.

Then they will wonder why people with less disposable income are spending less. They will only give incentives to the rich who will save or spend it abroad. They could give incentives to the lower paid but that would only put the money back in circulation straight away and improve the quality of life at the sharp end.

Crazy thing is that FF can spend like there is no tomorrow when they need votes, but when tough decisions are called for they won't take the risks.

Haven't seen much change in FF from when Dev started the Irish Press on money he raised for the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

College fees and petrol increases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I won't see my rent going down, I can guarantee this. I will ask my landloard but if it doesn't go down I will have to move out. Losing my deposit and whatnot.

Landlords will still make their money.

My father is a landlord and when the economy started going bad he reduced the rent. Pretty fair if you ask me.

I just hope that the levy doesn't increase too much and we don't get screwed over too much. As it is myself and my girlfriend can live. We do not go out or spend money on much more then bills, rent and food. We rarely drink and our highest recreational expence is for our internet and TV. Which is fine for the moment. Would love to join the gym and go to the cinema every so often, but we cannot at the moment. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

My biggest fear is that they won't decrease the dole. Should be cut in half if you are on it a year or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Biggins wrote: »
    If they decide to take money away from those who least have it, the scraping by elderly, the very low paid and the hanicapped, dying, etc...
    I expect (and hope!) FF to fall out of office within a month.

I know, I know, the sap bought off greens will prop them up again before that will happen. Depressing!
    To be replaced by who??
    (Sad but true!!):(

I hope the following doesn't go up:
    Petrol prices
    Income tax
    College Registration Fees
    Text Messages & Chewing Gum (proposed levy??)
    ALCOHOL!!

College fees, hopefully these won't be introduced.

FF are also considering a birthday/special day tax where 60% of the value of the presents you receive for your birthday/wedding/communion will be taken personally by Mr. Cowen*.

* May not be fact

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm woried about the idiots who are planning the Budget.:mad:they couldn't plan a free for all piss up in a brewery without it costing the tax payers an enormous amount of money.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I'm worried they are going to take too much out of the economy limiting spending power even more, yes they need to put the public finances back on track but if they try and do too much to solve this they could really **** things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

College fees and changes being made to the social welfare system that will stop me from getting the dole when i eventually get laid off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Lee72

Highsider wrote: »
    My biggest fear is that they won't decrease the dole. Should be cut in half if you are on it a year or more.

Do you actually realise how little the dole is per week
    If that's your biggest fear you have little to worry about compared to people struggling on dole payments

Advertisement