Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Ban 5 Years On

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

As a Smoker, i think its a great idea tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'm a smoker. I think it's great. I like to smoke, but it does smell and people shouldn't have to wash their clothes because of me. I think even if there wasn't a ban I still wouldn't smoke in a bar.

As someone mentioned, it also introduced the Smoking Area - a great little place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

as a smoker myself i think its been a great success, and i find when i go out i dont smoke as much.(esp when its cold out) as my local pub has not made any effort to put a decent smoking area other than a sheet of plywood and an ashtray on the wall. But still today i see people lighting up in non smoking areas esp the dart stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

The Smirting area I believe, banquo.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

One of the best changes in Irish public society - ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have to say, it's been very rare that I've had problems with the smell of people since the smoking ban. People are by and large quite clean . If you're going into pubs that reek of sweat and farts, then you're clearly going to ****holes. You can't complain in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Random wrote: »
    I still believe people should be allowed to open a smoking bar if they wish.

I think people should be free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't affect others......but that very seriously affects others

What you're describing is the situation pre-2004. People were free to open non-smoking bars if they wished. There were no non-smoking bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Lilyblue wrote: »
    Love the smoking ban. I cannot understand why people still smoke and out in the freezing cold to boot. My friends smoke out my back garden when over...even if its snowing..still doesn't put them off :eek:. Its a disgusting habit IMO!
    boohoo. I can't understand how people manage to drink Vodka and not tear out their stomach through their eye sockets just to stop getting the taste but you know, horses for courses...

I do appreciate a nice smoking garden though. It's nice to be able to stay sheltered and warm while you smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

As a smoker, I really don't mind the smoking ban for the most part. It's a pain in the ass in the winter when its cold though.

The only issue i have with it is that they take it SO seriously. For example, I'm in Oxford at the moment, and they've got a bar called the Bubbly Bar here. It's run by a bunch of Indian guys....they have a bar, and the main attraction would be the hooka pipes. The place almost got shut down last year so because people were smoking inside, so they have had to move all of the smoke related items out the back on the terrace in the freezing cold.

Personally I find this ridiculous. The whole point of the bar is to go in on a friday night, have a couple drinks and toke away at strawberry flavoured tobacco to chill out. Places like this should have the right to have some sort of permit allowing smoking inside.

The whole point of the place is smoke, so non smokers are warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I am surprised people think it has worked out so well.

People drink more at home now and at home the drink large quantities. Business that thrived for years are suddenly empty and risk closing up.

The smoking ban was certainly decisive in damaging the pub trade. People who said they would go to the pubs more regularly once the smoking ban came in never did and the smokers stay less time.

There is good and bad in everything but it is very blinkered to say the smoking ban has worked successfully just because people don't smell. The real results would be less smoking and less drinking but I don't think that is the case at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Kipperhell wrote: »

People drink more at home now and at home the drink large quantities. Business that thrived for years are suddenly empty and risk closing up.

The smoking ban was certainly decisive in damaging the pub trade. People who said they would go to the pubs more regularly once the smoking ban came in never did and the smokers stay less time.

There is good and bad in everything but it is very blinkered to say the smoking ban has worked successfully just because people don't smell. The real results would be less smoking and less drinking but I don't think that is the case at all.

Yes peope are drinking more at home over the smoking ban, and definitely not because of 5 euro upwards pints.(which in a lot of cases are pints of toilet water)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

It was a great idea and still is. The way it has been enforced for a country as laughable as this has been impressive.

No more nights out with smelly clothes coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The ban had an effect on business but the response of the publicans to falling trade was to exponentially increase the prices, forcing out the ones who were left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

If anything I'd say more people are smoking socially because of it. Ive a good few friends who go out to the smoking area for the craic and end up smoking a few. But what harm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Sweet. That means I've been off the fags for 5 years and 1 day!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

And what about the cigarettes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Muhahahaha. Those too. I hate both. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Roadend wrote: »
    Yes peope are drinking more at home over the smoking ban, and definitely not because of 5 euro upwards pints.(which in a lot of cases are pints of toilet water)

Price was a factor but if the ban has not reduced drinking or smoking and also damaged businesses how much of a success is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm happy with it, as I used to smoke too much in the pub.
    Having to go outside for a cigarette makes it easier to pace yourself.

By the way, where did all the ashtrays go?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

dioltas wrote: »
    If anything I'd say more people are smoking socially because of it. Ive a good few friends who go out to the smoking area for the craic and end up smoking a few. But what harm!

Lung cancer?

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The ban had an effect on business but the response of the publicans to falling trade was to exponentially increase the prices, forcing out the ones who were left

I'd say that's nothing short of bollox though. The prices of pints was always going to rise, and given how greedy most businesses are in this country, they were probably going to rise just as much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

also allows people sneak the odd joint in the smoking areas nowadays.
    christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Price was a factor but if the ban has not reduced drinking or smoking and also damaged businesses how much of a success is that?

What about the health benefits to those who previously had to work in smoky environments or those who frequently went to bars/restaurants filled with second hand smoke. Surely if the risk to their health has been reduced then it is a success. I wonder if any studies have actually been done on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The main reason I rarely go to the pub these days is because of the prices.

I don't mind going outside to smoke. It's not that much of a hassle. Just get up and go out when you need to use the toilet. Hit the toilet on the way back in and you kill two birds with one stone.

The prices are just crazy though. Why pay €4.50 and upwards for a pint when you can buy a quality assured can for about the same price you were paying 15 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Terry wrote: »
    The prices are just crazy though. Why pay €4.50 and upwards for a pint when you can buy a quality assured can for about the same price you were paying 15 years ago?

The price of beer at home is ridiculous, I recently moved over to London and despite all you hear about it being one of the most expensive cities in the world, and aside from rent (which is actually comparable to Dublin), I've found it a lot cheaper than home.

Case in point: went to Notting Hill for a stroll around yesterday, followed by a couple of pints - price for a pint of Heineken? 3.15! Same everywhere, as I said, the price of booze at home is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

h8red wrote: »
    Muhahahaha. Those too. I hate both. :pac:
    Smug bigot.

Nearly 5 years now since I took them back up again! Weird.... smoking areas are the best place in the club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Firetrap wrote: »
    It's not ideal but at least you're walking into a smoke-free building. I remember coming home from bars and having to just throw my clothes straight into the washing machine because they stank to the high heavens. And my pillow would stink like hell the next morning because of the smoky smell in my hair.

I've occasionally hung out in the smoking area with friends and one thing strikes me. At least out there you can hold conversations with people without 2,000db music blaring in your ear. It's almost worth inhaling the dodgy fumes for.

Geez i wash my clothes after every night out - non-smokers are filthy animals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

It would be nice to smoke inside every now and again but at times its a great excuse to take a break from those dodgy work do's, if only for a few mins

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think its one of the few good decisions that have been made by the government over the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Ah yes, the smoking ban, whose supporters should all drink a toast to this man, the unsung hero of Anti-Smokers everywhere. Since he was the first person in history to introduce one.

Its implementation and execution, fully befitting of its inventor.

"First they came for the smokers,
    but I didn't speak out, because I wasn't a smoker
    Then they came for the meat eaters,
    but I didn't speak out, because I was a vegetarian
    Then they came for the drinkers,
    but I didn't speak out, because i was a tea totaller
    Then they came for me, and i happily blew my own brains out,
    because all the fun people were already gone,
    and the world had turned into a namby pamby,
    uber controlling nanny state, that wasn't worth living in anymore."

:pac:

Advertisement