Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Ban 5 Years On

Options
  • 29-03-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyaueyojeykf/
    Today marks the fifth anniversary of smoke-free work places in Ireland.

Ireland was the first country to introduce the ban on this day in 2004.

Since then several other countries have introduced similar bans, including the North, Britain, New Zealand, Norway and Puerto Rico.

The Office of Tobacco Control is now set to introduce a ban on over the counter advertising for cigarettes and tobacco in shops from July 1.

Hard to belive it was introduced in 2004.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm happy that places are smoke free.

I still believe people should be allowed to open a smoking bar if they wish.

I hate having to walk through a cloud of smoke everytime I walk into or out of a building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Go..........cof cof cof cof........u..........COF COF COF COF COF COF COF COF WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE............us.

EDIT: Oooh just realised that's five years of smelling ripe Guinness farts. F*ckin nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I remember people saying it'd never work. And some old man on RTE News saying he'd continue to smoke on the trains.

But it worked!
    Random wrote: »

Well you'd need staff to sign some sort of disclaimer and even then, that smoking pub would be wide open to be sued from staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Volvoboy wrote: »

In what sense :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    In what sense :confused:

In that it dosent feel like 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Worked well. Have to admit. With they could do something else right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I look at old programmes on TV that feature smoking inside with nostalgia now.

We didn't know how lucky we were to live in a free world....

Before all the hysterical nonsense about safety & litigation took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

I've never had a night out pre smoking ban, and as an easy going non smoker, I'm kinda glad. HAve been in clubs in Spain and jaysis, the stink of smoke off me when I got home! Most places have heated outdoor smoking places and I generally stay out there, as most of my friends are smokers and, tbh, it's grand - I'm happy out. It certainly showed inventiveness on the pub owners' of Ireland's part - the amount of smoking areas that are barely outside is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Lilyblue

Love the smoking ban. I cannot understand why people still smoke and out in the freezing cold to boot. My friends smoke out my back garden when over...even if its snowing..still doesn't put them off :eek:. Its a disgusting habit IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tis one of the few things that they didn't **** up over the past 10 years..

• Advertisement

remember thinkin it would be a disaster but it's class.. over in germany, felt so weird everyone smokin in the clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

also allows people sneak the odd joint in the smoking areas nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 boards.

Farts do smell alot :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm happy that places are smoke free.

I hate having to walk through a cloud of smoke everytime I walk into or out of a building.

It's not ideal but at least you're walking into a smoke-free building. I remember coming home from bars and having to just throw my clothes straight into the washing machine because they stank to the high heavens. And my pillow would stink like hell the next morning because of the smoky smell in my hair.

I've occasionally hung out in the smoking area with friends and one thing strikes me. At least out there you can hold conversations with people without 2,000db music blaring in your ear. It's almost worth inhaling the dodgy fumes for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Still not sure myself whats worse. The smoke or the vile stench of sweat, vomit and beer farts around 12:30...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

didn't and still don't agree with the ban.
    people stink!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Wow was it really 5 years ago? I dreaded the ban at start but its introduced the "smoking area" which, in most pubs, is a really nice spot to have a chat with fellow smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If that was the case then every pub here would choose to be a smoking bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Hard to believe it's been 5 yrs as mentioned.

As an Irish person I'm really proud of the Irish governments initiative/balls on this issue.

Really surprised that other countries haven't followed our lead on the plastic bag levy as well, I've always thought it to be another excellent initiative and, having recently moved to London, am still bewildered momentarily when asked if I want a bag when all I'm buying is a litre of milk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I think the smoking ban was one of the best things they have introduced.

Who would have thought the government could have come up with a smart idea:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Firetrap wrote: »

I've occasionally hung out in the smoking area with friends and one thing strikes me. At least out there you can hold conversations with people without 2,000db music blaring in your ear. It's almost worth inhaling the dodgy fumes for.

It annoys me so much when people go clubbing then complain about how loud the music is, What do you expect its a club!

If you wanna have a conversation go to a late bar!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Volvoboy wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyaueyojeykf/

5 years? jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Doubs wrote: »
    Hard to believe it's been 5 yrs as mentioned.

As an Irish person I'm really proud of the Irish governments initiative/balls on this issue.

Really surprised that other countries haven't followed our lead on the plastic bag levy as well, I've always thought it to be another excellent initiative and, having recently moved to London, am still bewildered momentarily when asked if I want a bag when all I'm buying is a litre of milk :)

yeah I like the plastic bag thing too. loads of english people complain about how they're encouraged to bring their own bags :confused:

and as for the smoking ban, can't believe it's been that long. I still remember the news showing people smoking in a pub on the last day! can't believe people used to be allowed to smoke in restaurants! whatever about pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If that was the case then every pub here would choose to be a smoking bar.
    I guess you could argue this side of it. I'm happy because I don't smoke so it suits me down to the ground. I don't like being told what I can and can't do though. If I own a bar I should be allowed run it how I want.

But anyways .. Smoking Ban = a good thing in my eyes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's worked out great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

5 years? jesus

bout 2000 years for that one I think.

Anyway, how much is an average pack of cigarettes now?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Smokers are the scum of the Earth and they indisciminately kill kittens, especially cute ones.

right. That's that out of the way.

As a smoker, I'd like to see them completely banned.
    Smuggling?
    It's not that hard to spot someone smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Terry wrote: »

As a smoker, I'd like to see them completely banned.
    Smuggling?
    It's not that hard to spot someone smoking.

Bit hard to instantly ban somethign thats so ingrained in to society. What do the 10s of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of lifetime smokers do the day after the ban?

Look how well pro-hobition worked in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Hogzy wrote: »
    It annoys me so much when people go clubbing then complain about how loud the music is, What do you expect its a club!

If you wanna have a conversation go to a late bar!!

I didn't say I was in a club. I've not stood in a nightclub for a few years. In my town, it's pretty darn difficult to find any pubs where they don't have loud music :mad: Maybe I need new friends :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I still enjoy coming home from a night out not smelling like an ash tray

Advertisement