Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Meal for Two - €11.50

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ordered the Steak, Bacon Potatoes, Lemon Tart and Red Wine online.

The potatoes and red wine arrived, but the steak and desert was not in stock. Was charged full price for the wine and potatoes. I won't be making that mistake again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Does anyone know if they have a vegetarian option as a main course?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they have a vegetarian option as a main course?

The vegetarian main was a filo pastry parcel with cheese and spinach (2 in a pack).

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Good stuff! Thanks, man What's wrong with me! I'm actually looking forward to getting this for myself & sitting in this weekend! lol
    Must be getting old or something! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I just ordered it online (discount will be made when the stuff is delivered) - no problems for me, but oddly it said "This offer is available at all of the tesco.ie stores with the exception of Ennis". I wonder what Ennis ever did to them?

For those who don't drink wine, when you shop online there's the option to take a 1.75 litre carton of "not from concentrate" Tesco orange juice (with or without bits) instead. No idea if you can do that in store as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thoie wrote: »
    For those who don't drink wine, when you shop online there's the option to take a 1.75 litre carton of "not from concentrate" Tesco orange juice (with or without bits) instead. No idea if you can do that in store as well.

Much better value to get the wine anyway, and give it away.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

What's the wine slection like?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,803 ✭✭✭✭Basq

jayteecork wrote: »
    What's the wine slection like?
    It's Tesco's own brand:
    • Chilean White / Red
    • Australian White / Red
    Never even opened my Chilean white... not expecting much!

basquille wrote: »
    It's Tesco's own brand:
    • Chilean White / Red
    • Australian White / Red
    Never even opened my Chilean white... not expecting much!

You'd probably be as well picking up some Sarson's Malt vineger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Yeah i wouldn't think it'd be a patch on M&S wine, but i might try the Tesco meal deal over the weekend. Went twice last weekend to get the M&S one but place was cleared out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 univibe

The choice is fairly limited and the food is not up to M&S standards. they should be charging €8 tops for their offer not €11.50 !!

Surely with a bit of imagination you could, for the same price buy a nice cheap bottle of wine, and some fresh ingredients, and make something nice(Ready Steady Cook style), rather than buying that prepackaged processed Tesco Steak and mashed potatoes and what not.

Don't think it's really all that good of a deal.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Surely with a bit of imagination you could, for the same price buy a nice cheap bottle of wine, and some fresh ingredients, and make something nice(Ready Steady Cook style), rather than buying that prepackaged processed Tesco Steak and mashed potatoes and what not.

Don't think it's really all that good of a deal.

It depends on what you're going to cook, and what you already have in the cupboards. For argument's sake, let's say the cheapest bottle of wine you can get your hands on is €5.50. The cheapest meat you can get is around €3 for 2 people (and that's pretty cheap meat). That leaves you €3 to make dessert, veg and a sauce. Going with white sauce as the cheapest option, €1.20 for a bag of flour, €0.60 for milk, and assume you have butter, salt, pepper already. You can reuse the flour for dessert. You now have €1.20 for veg and dessert. Apples and carrots are the cheapest fruit and veg at the moment. So 55c for one apple, 15c per carrot - you can have a single apple (in pastry of some kind) and 2 carrots each.

So your €11.50 dinner is chicken breasts in white sauce, with carrots, followed by a stingy apple tart, washed down with nasty wine. If you already have flour in the house, then you get an extra two apples.

A better idea might be to spend the flour money on mushrooms instead, use the wine to make a mushroom and wine gloop for the chicken, and serve stewed apples instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Thoie wrote: »
    The cheapest meat you can get is around €3 for 2 people (and that's pretty cheap meat)

Had the steak diane tonight, I reckon tesco paid about €1 for the meat!! The sauce was tasty, but the meat was pretty poor - also had the smoked bacon potatoes - just okay - in general the standard is in no way comparable to Marks.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Had the steak diane tonight, I reckon tesco paid about €1 for the meat!! The sauce was tasty, but the meat was pretty poor - also had the smoked bacon potatoes - just okay - in general the standard is in no way comparable to Marks.

I was just coming back to revise my estimate based on the steak diane as well. Ended up throwing most of the meat away and just keeping the sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I usually buy the M&S one's in drogheda. Tried the tesco one last night. It was nice. O/H did not like it but thats the first appempt.

I am of the same conclusion on them both. Meals are nice, desserts are high in sugar/fats and the wine is p1ss which should only be consumed when mixed with vodka. Only joking 7 up

Anyway I am still eating them so they cant be that bad.

Any body ever buy scotch eggs when in m&s. Now there is something I sink my teeth into after a few pints. Yum Yum

Advertisement