Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Fillet Roll - Calories??

Options
  • 25-03-2009 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi Im wondering How much Calories would be usually is a chicken fillet roll? I usually get either a plain or spicy chicken fillet and the roll. I don't bother taking any thing on it.
    For a person like me who is on a Diet would they be very bad for me??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

are you serious? your on a diet and your eating greasy chicken fillet rolls

whats wrong with a wrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Well there's about 360 calories in 150G roll and about 240 calories in the "chicken" (if you can call that processed muck chicken).

So 600 calories for just the roll and chicken not to mention butter etc

And the fact that most rolls are more than 150g, normally around 210g then you're intake for this is approx 750 calories! Thats more than your dinner should be!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

holy heart as my grandmother would have said!

when you say bread roll am i right in guessing it would be a baguette? from a ww point of view there's 10 point in that roll alone that would be half a days point for most people. you can't get any nutritional info from a well known brands website so it would be hard but i'd guess that for something to have 10 ww points you'd be looking at circa 650kcals & maybe 3.5g of saturated fat.

with the chicken fillets do you know if they're baked or fried i'd hazzard a guess at anything between 8 & 10 points for the chicken fillet but have no idea who produces these to try obtain the nutritional info.

i'd wholeheartley recommend giving up chicken fillet rolls if you want any success in a diet.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Unfortunately there really are quite a lot of calories in them. I was the same a while back- really didn't see how deli chicken fillets could be high in calories cos 'they're cooked in an oven' doh! If you're not having the roll dry, and having butter or mayo as well then they really, really are high in calories. And there's a feck load of bread in one of those demi-baguettes.

I actually ended up mailing cuisine de france a few times to ask them about calories in their stuff and found them very very helpful. Unfortunately means that their sausage rolls & ham and cheese jambons (which used to be a very occasional hungover 'sure it's crap food but it makes my head not hate me as much' treat) are dead to me now.

Bottom line is, you're better off bringing your own lunch to work when you're trying to lose weight, at least then you can control what you're eating and not get any nasty little surprises!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wannabepr wrote: »
    I usually get either a plain or spicy chicken fillet and the roll. I don't bother taking any thing on it.
    I presume these are the breaded ones, so will have a lot more calories than chicken just marinated or rubbed in dry spices.

You can get uncooked baguettes in supermarkets, these should have the nutritional information on them. Try and get ones the same size as portion size is extremely important and most peoples biggest problem.

Also look in the fresh food section for similar breaded chickens, many will have the nutritional info on them.

It could be up to 1000kcal in total if it is anything like the ones I have seen lads eating in work, I would imagine ~700kcal.

Weigh it the next time you are there if there is a scale. Your bread will be around 220-240kcal per 100g and the breaded chicken is probably around the same.

A wholemeal pitta is ~200kcal and a marinated/dry spiced chicken breast is around 160kcal.

The londis near me has a salad bar, they do unbreaded chicken breast and ham and roast beef along with cheese & other stuff. I used to just jam loads of chicken in the tub with a little sauce. It actually costs much less than chicken in supermarkets. It was €11 per kilo, then they charged by the tub, I was cramming barnyards full of chicken in the things!:pac:

Many people thing you have to eat bread, I would always get comments in work about it. People saying I was a pig for eating a full or near full chicken, when they were packing in twice the calories with ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

ham and cheese jambons (which used to be a very occasional hungover 'sure it's crap food but it makes my head not hate me as much' treat) are dead to me now.

Dare I ask what the damage is? I have the odd one when I'm hungover.

Per Jambon...

cals- 358
    carbs-26.9
    sugars- 1.3
    fat - 22.7
    sat fat- 8.7

ifn you're doing ww it works out as 7.5 points

rubadub wrote: »
    It could be up to 1000kcal in total if it is anything like the ones I have seen lads eating in work, I would imagine ~700kcal.

Weigh it the next time you are there if there is a scale. Your bread will be around 220-240kcal per 100g and the breaded chicken is probably around the same.
    These rolls are only €1.77 in londis this week, so I had 2 of them yesterday :pac:

Weighed on in work, it was 325g, so if you go with 230kcal per 100g, it is ~750kcal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Per Jambon...

cals- 358
    carbs-26.9
    sugars- 1.3
    fat - 22.7
    sat fat- 8.7

ifn you're doing ww it works out as 7.5 points

Jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I used to eat chicken fillet baguettes all the time. With coleslaw and tomato. I used to eat these for lunch, I was on the road so handy to stop in any garage with a hot food counter and get them. I also used to eat O'Briens chicken and bacon triple deckers, with a packet of crisps and maybe a bar of chocolate after. My lunches mostly consisted of variations of these two themes.

That was over a year ago. I was touching 17 stone. I decided to give up all bread, along with fatty foods, mayo, coleslaw, chocolate, crisps, etc etc. I LOST TWO STONE. I reckon that was mostly from the lack of bread. Now maintaining about 14.8 stone, which is good for my height as I'm 6'5". I still don't eat bread, I eat wraps, and you can make them really interesting and satisfying. The trick is to bulk up on other things after your wrap - fruit, yoghurts, maybe a low fat latte. This way you'll feel as full as you did from eating the baguette.

Yes, those baguettes are a killer. Full of salt. Full of fat. God knows what's in that batter. I would avoid if you want to stay healthy, never mind lose weight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

according to 'collins gem'

a white crusty roll (60g)

Carbs: 34.6g
    Fibre: 2.6g
    Cal: 168 (kcal)
    Protein: 6.5g
    Fat: 2.6g
    GI: High

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

How much of a difference would it make to get a hot chicken fillet wrap as opposed to a roll do you think? The same fillings, just a wrap instead of a roll?

Seeing as we're kinda talking about deli food, how bad are sausage rolls?

according to 'collins gem'

a white crusty roll (60g)
    The baguette I got was certainly more than 60g. The whole thing was 325g. A breaded medium chicken fillet is probably around 150-160g lettuce & tomatoe maybe 20g, so maybe 150g for the roll.
    dioltas wrote: »
    How much of a difference would it make to get a hot chicken fillet wrap as opposed to a roll do you think?
    It will probably weigh a good bit less. I would just to the supermarket and check out what the average wrap is, and try to get wholemeal if you can in the deli/shop.
    Seeing as we're kinda talking about deli food, how bad are sausage rolls?
    Terrible! it is pastry which is full of its own fat. But if you cook a normal sausage loads of fat comes out of it, when wrapped in pastry the pastry just soaks up all that fat to add to its own. I cannot remember the figures but I saw them in the supermarket once and they were shocking, I thought it was "per 100g" figures, but it was per portion and it was a small portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think those rolls are equivalent to about 5 slices of bread?? And the chicken is breaded, even if cooked in the oven I think they are pre-fried. I'd say the roll is knocking 1000 cals incl mayo & butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

rubadub wrote: »
    Terrible! it is pastry which is full of its own fat. But if you cook a normal sausage loads of fat comes out of it, when wrapped in pastry the pastry just soaks up all that fat to add to its own. I cannot remember the figures but I saw them in the supermarket once and they were shocking, I thought it was "per 100g" figures, but it was per portion and it was a small portion.

Ya, thought as much! It's just the shop next door does 4 for a euro so the lads are always getting them. Gonna definitely steer clear so!

What do ye think is the best thing to get in a deli / hot counter if your stuck? I sometimes go for a sandwich with a lot of tuna and some salad (lettuce, onion, pepper...), and brown bread. Sometimes I get cheese as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you're going for low calorie: Two slices of THIN bread or a wrap. No butter. Only get tuna if it's not in mayo, add as much salad as you want. I always get tomatoes to add some moisture and a tiny smear of mayo if you must! Relish is a good alternative. Or get turkey or ham instead. Ditch the cheese if you're counting the calories.

A sambo like the above (ham, tomato, lettuce & relish) would be about 300 cals.

What do ye think is the best thing to get in a deli / hot counter if your stuck? I

The londis near me does salads, priced by the tub, I just literally cram them with chicken breast, ham and spiced beef, with a sprinkle of grated cheese. No bread at all. Works out cheaper than a supermarket if you cram enough in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

sorry for bringing back a old thread like this but i asked them and this is what they said it is...

Nutrient Per 100g/ml Per portion

Protein 18.4000 28.5200

Total Fat (g) 6.5000 10.0750

- Saturated (g) 2.5600 3.9680

- Mono-Unsaturated (g)
    Available Carbohydrate (g)

- Sugar (g)

- Starch (g)
    Dietary Fibre (g)

Total Salt (g) 1.1830 1.8340

Sodium (Na)

Energy (kJ) 743.0000 1,151.6500

Energy (kcal) 177.0000 274.3500

so about 4.5 points for the chicken fillet..

A spicy one is tiny bit better with 236 Energy (kcal) and 3.4 Saturated Fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

But you are assuming a Chicken fillet is exactly 100g. I would have though it to be a fair bit more. A plain uncooked chicken fillett is about 150g, so i would imagine a battered and fried one as you buy in a deli would be about 200g.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

the bread in these places is usually about 4 inches thick per slice, it's ridiculous!

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    But you are assuming a Chicken fillet is exactly 100g. I would have though it to be a fair bit more. A plain uncooked chicken fillett is about 150g, so i would imagine a battered and fried one as you buy in a deli would be about 200g.

There seem to be 2 values for each item in the list, one per 100g and one per portion. The 2nd value beside each item is the one for the average fillet I think

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

150g is pretty small for a fillet,
    A fillet I buy (raw) in the supermarket is 200-300g, 300 being common, 200 small

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Could just eat the chicken fillets and ditch the bread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 foodproof.me

you can check www.foodproof.me for what's on Irish supermarket shelves and in fastfood places for calories and nutrition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

Ah damn. I love chicken fillet rolls, they make my mouth water.

Now they're ruined :pac:

Oh well. I may still indulge in them from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭brainy_neuron

I would agree with most of the posters here-steer well clear of those Chicken fillet rolls if you're trying to lose weight! I have to admit they are gorgeous but definitely v high in calories and fat. My advice would be to stay away from bread if at all possible. Try and make up a salad bowl or have soup instead-I love the avonmore soups, especially the tomato one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Whats a good alternative to chicken fillet roles? I found this thread from a response to a thread I started asking the same thing. If it was relatively cheap to eat loads of just plain chicken in a tub with a bit of salad, I would just start doing that instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I get a chicken fillet roll almost every day of the week and i'm still skinny - I even put coleslaw, mayo, cheese, relish and loads of sh1t on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I get a chicken fillet roll almost every day of the week and i'm still skinny - I even put coleslaw, mayo, cheese, relish and loads of sh1t on it

I know your kind!

Whats even worse is that these kinds of people insist on declaring it from the rooftops. Right, we get it, weight is only an abstract concept for you. Please stop taunting us mere mortals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Denerick wrote: »
    Whats a good alternative to chicken fillet roles? I found this thread from a response to a thread I started asking the same thing. If it was relatively cheap to eat loads of just plain chicken in a tub with a bit of salad, I would just start doing that instead!

It would be cheaper to make your own lunch. Just buy stuff at the start of the week and prepare your lunches.

Thats not exactly helpful.

Advertisement