Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ulster Scots a real language ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Actually I think it's "Naw", "Nae" or "yer oul head!"

Personally i see nothing wrong in taking pride in a distinctive dialect. It is a neat combination of something that is at the same time a clear mark of one's identity and a means of communication. It is to be celebrated.

But it is a spoken language, not a written one. It's great strength is in the sound of the spoken word. It does not translate to the written page. The written form of it is merely standard English.

There is nothing unusual in this. Several languages have clear differences between the written and spoken form. In French, for example, there are several subjunctive cases that are widely used in journalism and factual writing but are never used in spoken French.

I think the clearest analogy is with music. The standard form of English is like sheet music. It can be written down and should, in theory, only be pronounced in one way.

Dialects like Uster Scots are like jazz. They are for listening to, not for writing down.

Advertising for posts such as a "Temporary chief executive" using the phrase "heed yin the while" just makes a mockery of what Ulster Scots is really all about.
    Firstly, WELCOME BACK SNICKERS, things were a bit quite around here, though I did my best to stir things up a bit :rolleyes:. ( BTW, an old friend called Fred has been recently banned, but doubtless he'll be back. Say what you will, at times I find him entertaining :) )
    " Personally i see nothing wrong in taking pride in a distinctive dialect "

Yes Snickers, just like D4 language, " Loike it so totally rocks, man ". It can be studied in - Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's Guide to South Dublin: How to Get by On, Lioke, €10,000 A Day. Roysh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭donaghs

It basically the Scots dialect of English, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language, with a few variations from being in Ireland.
    Calling it a separate language is stretching it too far, but is understandable in the context of tit-for-tat Northern Irish politics, and the new promotion of the Irish language.
    If Ulster-Scots was so dear to Unionists/Loyalists they would have made some serious attempt to promote during the 50 years in which they ruled Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Actually I think it's "Naw", "Nae" or "yer oul head!"

Personally i see nothing wrong in taking pride in a distinctive dialect. It is a neat combination of something that is at the same time a clear mark of one's identity and a means of communication. It is to be celebrated.

But it is a spoken language, not a written one. It's great strength is in the sound of the spoken word. It does not translate to the written page. The written form of it is merely standard English.

There is nothing unusual in this. Several languages have clear differences between the written and spoken form. In French, for example, there are several subjunctive cases that are widely used in journalism and factual writing but are never used in spoken French.

I think the clearest analogy is with music. The standard form of English is like sheet music. It can be written down and should, in theory, only be pronounced in one way.

Dialects like Uster Scots are like jazz. They are for listening to, not for writing down.

Advertising for posts such as a "Temporary chief executive" using the phrase "heed yin the while" just makes a mockery of what Ulster Scots is really all about.
    so lets take this a little further ,scouse,mank ,geordie, brumie,cockny o and before i forget what about dublin irish lots of books about for the tourists to understand irish speaking peoples

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Very different forms, catholic version is more like american than the british version , big difference is that ours uses one hand for letters theirs uses two hands

oddly enough sign language is by some accounts the easiest to communicate with to people who don't share other languages
    the first recorded full use of sign language was by monks in britain in 1644

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

I was there lately, and off the topic... it should be renamed De-Prestwick
    It should. It's gas the way the security staff think they work for Ryanair and like to tackle female passengers passing through for having a handbag and another bag showing. They actually make people put the handbag into their travel luggage.. :rolleyes:

Still, it's that silly Brit humour motto (culture aledgedly) or however you'd describe it that annoys me most. Easily annoyed these days, says you.. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement